SCT Livewire Data Logging question for KEM 345 surging issue

p8ntballn2

Reaction score
Hello All,

New to the site but not new to the 6.4 and tuning, but this is my first post on this forum so take it easy on me. just some backround.. i've been running IDP tunes for the last 11 or so months, going back and forth between the tow, extreme street, and extreme race tunes.

Tried doing a search on here.. but didn't get much luck, and since a lot of guys on here I see are running Livewires like me, I was hoping for a quick easy response.

My question is this. I just recently got the KEM 345 tune.... everything is great so far.. love the shifting and the lower end and mid range power it has compared to the IDP (Not bashing IDP or their tuning abilties, been running IDP tunes since 05 when i had a 6.0 and they've all bee great) anyway, back on topic. I never get this surge / hesitation when i'm on the IDP tunes. I noticed yesterday on my way home from work when the engine is cold.. and on my way into work this morning that i'm getting a slight hesitation right around 1750 rpms... usually running about 30-40 mph and with a slight load on the motor (IE. going up a slight incline in the road) it will hesitate to about 1600 rpm's and then surge back up to 1750... and just keeps repeating that until i let off a little bit, or i give it a little bit more on the go pedal to up the rpm's past 1750... has anyone else experienced this with the KEM 345?

I've been in contact with Mike @ KEM, who has been a big help. He wants me to send him some data logs of the truck surging/hesitating. 3 questions on this: 1. can i do this with my Macbook Air laptop? 2. How do i start the data logging? and 3. once i do the data log, how the heck to I get it to mike?(i know i would most likely email him he log, but i need to know how to get it off the livewire?)

is there a step by step process on this somewhere on this forum or on another forum that i'm just not seeing.. the online livewire manual doesn't seem to be much help unless i'm just blind, which is always a possibility

Mods done to truck are DPF delete, 5" turbo back Flo-Pro, S&B CAI, CCV Mod, 3.5" Leveling kit, 37x13.5x20's on stock 20" KR wheelsthats it.. truck has 74K on the clock. 2008 f250 KR 6.4L CC SB Job 1, Oil changed every 5K, fuel filters every 10K

Last edited:

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
Hey Kris glad to see you signed up! As far as data logging, I believe the livewire is able to do it. If not we can meet up sometime and you can use my dashdaq to datalog. Then you just upload the files and e-mail them to KEM.

I noticed surging on my way back from tech for the first time. With the cruise set to about 73 coming up hills, not sure if its related to yours or not

p8ntballn2

Reaction score
i've literally only put about 100 miles on the tune since i got it... so i haven't been able to do much testing.. but i did notice the surge again last night even after it had warmed all the way up. I'm gonna try to mess with it tonight when i get home.

CamTom12

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing on the 345. I have logs of mine doing it, but it was a rail pressure fluctuation if I remember correctly.

Seemed to me (I don't tune 6.4's but used to tune gassers) that the problem was from a couple of tables being bounced between or a rough transition between cells on the low-load side of a table.

p8ntballn2

Reaction score
so how did you remedy your issue?? it doesn't do it on the IDP tunes.. its never done it.. i could prob go back to the IDP tunes and it wouldn't do it. I'd really like to get ti resolved soon cuz i really like the 345 so far. i think i need to up the shift pressures a little bit too.. i'm not trying to rebuild my tranny anytime soon.

CamTom12

Reaction score
I updated my DD and lost my KEM tunes anyway so I kind of forgot about it.

Get a solid log of the truck doing it, send it to Mike and he should fix it.

p8ntballn2

Reaction score
Yea... That's my plan ... I never realized how often I use 1750 RPM's til this started happening ... Really weird cuz it doesnt do it on IDP tunes ... And I wanna try the new iDP tunes Eric has that he released last week

Latest posts

Members online