SD UVCH

79jasper

Reaction score

"We also have seen numerous problems (poorly shielded wires, wires not ROUTED properly<ie firing cylinders out of proper firing order!) with aftermarket valve cover gaskets and valve cover wiring (especially DORMAN brands)…so we highly recommend replacing the UVC harnesses and gaskets with OEM Ford gaskets and wiring only. We have actually lost an engine due to the Dorman gaskets/wiring, and have spoken with atleast one other customer that lost 2 engines (rods through the block) that was traced back to a faulty Dorman UVC gasket & harness."

Interesting.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Bugman

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see how a after market wiring harness would cause a cylinder to get out of firing order even if they were routed improperly. As long as you connect them properly there should be no problem with that. I can understand poorly shielded wires but loosing a engine due to a bad gasket or wire? I think that they are pushing that a ways too far.

But I'll stick with factory when it comes to something like the under valve cover wiring harness and gaskets.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
"We also have seen numerous problems (poorly shielded wires, wires not ROUTED properly<ie firing cylinders out of proper firing order!) with aftermarket valve cover gaskets and valve cover wiring (especially DORMAN brands)…so we highly recommend replacing the UVC harnesses and gaskets with OEM Ford gaskets and wiring only. We have actually lost an engine due to the Dorman gaskets/wiring, and have spoken with atleast one other customer that lost 2 engines (rods through the block) that was traced back to a faulty Dorman UVC gasket & harness."

Interesting.

As a professional electrician I know exactly what this is.
Called cross talk.
The electricity going through wires causes magnetic frequencies.
Those frequencies are carried by the wire that is most susceptible.
This is why bundles of wires like this that carry important information (signals) are shielded.
No/bad shield shiz gets phuked up.
Saw this happen on a 5 million dollar wind turbine.
While I was up it.
Causes interesting problems no matter what application.
From 5v and up.
If not properly done it will wreak havoc at the least expected times.

79jasper

Reaction score
As a professional electrician I know exactly what this is.
Called cross talk.
The electricity going through wires causes magnetic frequencies.
Those frequencies are carried by the wire that is most susceptible.
This is why bundles of wires like this that carry important information (signals) are shielded.
No/bad shield shiz gets phuked up.
Saw this happen on a 5 million dollar wind turbine.
While I was up it.
Causes interesting problems no matter what application.
From 5v and up.
If not properly done it will wreak havoc at the least expected times.

I definitely see how it can cause problems.

Do you have experience with the dorman one's?

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
No sir I saw other ppl have problems from connectors to miss fires. Homie don't play that.

kanuck15

Reaction score
So breaking this down to basics you just cut the ends off an OBS harness, route them so they meet in the middle of the harness and connect them to the SD repair pigtails? then use SD gaskets and SD UVCHs?

79jasper

Reaction score
So breaking this down to basics you just cut the ends off an OBS harness, route them so they meet in the middle of the harness and connect them to the SD repair pigtails? then use SD gaskets and SD UVCHs?

That's what I got from it...

m j

Reaction score
I did it with the Dorman parts.
what a PITA wrapping the wires in ground strap and then the tinfoil

m j

Reaction score
anyone ever compare valve covers from a super duty and OBS?
I think the OBS is clearance for the two valvecover plugs

79jasper

Reaction score
I was told they're the same.
Well far as shape and size.
I've heard some are thicker, which help to quieten the engine.

But the difference Is in the UVCH gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MossBack

Reaction score
All are the same... I have a 95, 97, and a 01 blocks at the shop... All have the 2 indents where the plugs are on the OBS trucks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

JCart

Reaction score

Just so I'm clear the pin order stays the same, just the SD is all on one plug right? E.g., passenger side outside VC cut front plug off OBS harness connect to 1/2 SD new pigtail then cut rear OBS plug and connect to SD plug keeping all wires in order front to back?

My thinking was to connect with butt connectors and dielectric grease inside connector then heat shrink tube over each wire that sound reasonable? Open to suggestions.

Also I'll add since using dielectric grease and Stancor GP relay I've not had any pins burn up on my harnesses at all, back in '98 my first psd ('96) with stock GP relay was pretty common to be replacing the relay and burnt pins where all too common.
Lastly purchased SD and OBS parts pigtails and UVC harnesses from Clay at Riff Raff great pricing and shipping to Canada.

jrc

2000wa250

Reaction score
I can't remember where the glow plug wires are on the obs. Pretty sure they are on either side of the plugs, so those move for the SD plug.

I wouldn't use butt connectors without adding solder. Too important a connection IMO to risk coming detached going down the road or not having a good transmission of signal

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk