Seeking help from the 6.4 wisemen

FreddyM

Reaction score
08 F250 Mods in sig. Cab is going up in the next week or so

1. have a box of ARP studs with the latest torque lube waiting to go, what are your final torque numbers? i have heard many different numbers over time.

2. Have heard Stock valvetrain is good up too 800hp so decided not to do it.
anyone against this?

3. Airdog or FASS? HPFP is strong, but wanna keep it healthy.
heard non stop problems of airdogs blowing pumps.

4. Turbo? LP batmowheel? 71, 72 elite?
ive searched and searched, but someone just give me a straight review on those 3. sound, performance, price value?

Ive seen many similar "mild builds" but with no real reviews after.
I want to do this once and do it right, I dont beat on the truck just want to have a bulletproof machine.

thanks!

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
You've heard problems about the air dog blowing pumps?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

FreddyM

Reaction score
Yes, Around me no one has one so I dont personally know of any. But have heard countless stories from the 6.0 guys blowing their airdogs..

weazel

Reaction score
Yes, Around me no one has one so I dont personally know of any. But have heard countless stories from the 6.0 guys blowing their airdogs..

I've been seeing a few go around here, the AD2 is the one going out mostly

Translated from hillbilly, with tapatalk
Engineers clear the way!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
There was some pump issue over the last year (a seal letting go and creating a vacuum) which I was the victim of , but they have since remedied that issue and the newer pumps are going strong. I am very happy with mine , an how clean and easy the install is and how quiet it is vs the fass. The fass sounds like my aeromotive eliminator pump lol.

black6.4

Reaction score
Studs I took mine to 325 instead of 275
Valvetrain my truck had 50k so I left it original till next time anything over that sure a good peice of mind having that upgraded
I'm runningthe air dog seems like alot of guys happy with there's
and my thought is as far ass the turbo its up to you I'm running the lp batmo but will be upgrading turbos because I'm running more fuel but stock fuel the batmo semes fine for the buck..about twice the noise as the stock wheel

madman1234509

Reaction score
TORQUE THE STUDS TO WHAT THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY AND NO DIFFERENT!!! The instructions given are specific for that type of fastener lube. The lube was designed to use less torque for a reason.

How many miles on the truck?? I would atleast replace the lifters... They are hardest to get to, and if one goes bad, itll take out the entire motor compared to a push rod bending and just having to pop the valve covers and what not off to get to it. The heads need to come off for the lifters, so just get it out of the way. Ive seen people run 100psi of boost and bp on stock valve train... But from the sounds of it, for what youre doing youll be fine

Airdog and fass are both good, set it to 10-15 psi and forget it
Id opt for either one (71 or 72) mm. If you can get a hold of the 71mm used for a decent price, from someone who is trying to sell to get an 72mm then do it. RCD has a nice 71mm as well...

Also check into elites 76mm atmosphere, if youre willing to spend the extra $$ it might be worth it as well, and be super fun with stock fuel.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Arp instructs it to be torqued to a certain measurement for a reason. A lot of it has to do with friction and how the lube sets. If you compare the two and see how different they are from eachother youll see why. I went by the instructions, and granted I only have stock chargers, but I run on the highest tune and drive my truck pretty hard with absolutely no problems in 15-20k

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I used arp ultratorque on mine and went to 325... I understand they have calculations and all that but I would still go with at least 300 to ensure they will.handle anything you throw at them

madman1234509

Reaction score
There was recently a thread about the studs causing cracks and causing coolant to seep through?? Something along those lines... Again I havent heard many cases. Im pretty sure I didnt use any, unless it was put on by my buddy without me noticing, as Im sure many others havent, and I havent seemed to have any problems. Although im not sure what signs or symptoms there would be or if youd know without taking the heads off?? Maybe Dzchey can give a bit more insight

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yeah there has been some cases me included of no puking but coolant in the oil and coolant running up the head stud and into the oil. At first there was some.blame on the high torque of say 300 but recently I saw a truck doing it that was only torqued to 210 so the sealant helps keeping that from happening.

Matt

Reaction score
I bought my airdog almost 2 years ago and haven't used it yet. Should I be worried about it not being an updated one?

B585Ford

Reaction score
TORQUE THE STUDS TO WHAT THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY AND NO DIFFERENT!!! The instructions given are specific for that type of fastener lube. The lube was designed to use less torque for a reason.

How many miles on the truck?? I would atleast replace the lifters... They are hardest to get to, and if one goes bad, itll take out the entire motor compared to a push rod bending and just having to pop the valve covers and what not off to get to it. The heads need to come off for the lifters, so just get it out of the way. Ive seen people run 100psi of boost and bp on stock valve train... But from the sounds of it, for what youre doing youll be fine

Airdog and fass are both good, set it to 10-15 psi and forget it
Id opt for either one (71 or 72) mm. If you can get a hold of the 71mm used for a decent price, from someone who is trying to sell to get an 72mm then do it. RCD has a nice 71mm as well...

Also check into elites 76mm atmosphere, if youre willing to spend the extra $$ it might be worth it as well, and be super fun with stock fuel.

:whs:
I would definitely at least do the 71. Personally, that has been my favorite mod. Great spool up, truck runs cool, and a very noticeable increase in POWA.
Like he said, if I could have swung it, I would have the Tow X atmo and if I was really dreaming, HP (both are are 76s).
I agree with following the directions for the lube you have. I think most of the newer ones come with the 275 torque.
I only had 34k when I did studs/71/ported intake manny/6.0 non-ported exh manny with up pipes. I didn't do the valvetrain and now I really regret it. I haven't had one issue, but I have had several "Woops" moments where I let my EBPs get into the 70s. I would feel a lot more comfortable if I had done the valvetrain....but I admit, I hate breakin sh#t...you would probably get by w/o the valvetrain on the 71. My guess is the 72 and definitely a 76 would need a WG.
Sound...you can hear air flowing when you get the boost to about 15 or higher (never heard that on stock turbos). At idle, I can't appreciate the difference. Slightly deeper rumble when I getting on it, but unless the window is down and there is a wall on the passanger's side, I can't hear much difference other than a slight whistle. Disclaimer....my hearing isn't the best.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Stock valetrain SHOULD be fine. I would go with the Air Dog over the FASS. 71mm or 72mm Elite low pressure.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I bought my airdog almost 2 years ago and haven't used it yet. Should I be worried about it not being an updated one?

I've had an Air Dog since they released the Air Dog 2 for the 6.4L. No issues at all. Mine is the DF-165 setup.

Latest posts

Members online