Shaking at light throttle

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Well the 3.01 update from IDP is when he bumped the FRP at idle to 5500 or 6k? I cant rememeber off the top of my head, Spartan also done the same thing on their higher tunes IIRC. And Im sure the rail pressure at light throttle is higher too than what is was before.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
What are you calling non linear pedal? My extreme x and gearhead tunes drive virtually the same

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
To the guys having this issue, do you have the stock low pressure pump or an aftermarket like an Air Dog, Elite setup, FASS, etc.?

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Also, for people with IDP tunes, please note whether you have IDP Preloaded or IDP Emailed that it does it on and which tune it does it on. (should only be extreme street and/or extreme race) I think this issue is greater than what we see (meaning more trucks have this problem and think it is something mechanical and dont report it or bring it to attention), and most ignore it and/or change tunes/tuners

madman1234509

Reaction score
UPDATE......

I tried looking for the other thread that covered this but couldn't find it. I spoke before about a 2010 KR ccsb that my friend was trying to diagnose shaking at light throttle cruising down the highway. It started when the customer was using an edge tuner. He bought a Spartan thinking it would remedy the problem, well it didn't. Also my friend who has a Spartan tuned 6.4 and myself both had the same exact issue, but the 2010 truck seemed way worse. It would literally spill your coffee cup. So after the Spartan didn't work, we called innovative with no success and no answer. Finally I told my mechanic friend, I heard gearhead was doing good things on h&s mcc. He called them up, and within 5 minutes had a pretty confident answer as to why all of our trucks are doing this. He bought the minimaxx for the client, picked up some gearhead tunes, its been almost a week with shaking completely gone!! . Keep in mind this is a intake, exhaust, tuner truck... and the owner has no interest in going further with it, just wanted a tad more power and.
better mileage.

What solved the problem? Per gearhead the reasoning for this shake at light throttle is the commanded frp at highway speed, and light throttle and light load is too LOW. The tunes the we received have slightly higher commanded rail pressure then what we've had in the past. I haven't bothered.to ask how much higher. My thought are that maybe these other tuners lowered the commanded pressure at those times to get better mileage (highway cruising) and to be easier on parts...

madman1234509

Reaction score
Maybe with your little bit of extra weight, and being a drw I'll assume you have 4.10s maybe you don't hit the same load/throttle position at the same speed we do. Most people are seeing this happen between like 55-60 mph on flat ground at relatively light throttle/load, which will be at a lower rpm. Maybe you don't hit that same "unsweet" spot with the bit of extra weight/ gearing.... just a theory.

All I know is changing to gearhead worked. I'm not sure if they are their regular tunes or if he made the tune to command more rail pressure after talking to my friend about the trucks issues.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I have no idea, I personally have never used gear head tuning. But when my friend called them to talk about the situation they immediately knew, or thought they knew why and explained it to him. Whether he got special tunes written for the truck or they are gear heads off the shelf tuning for the basic truck, it doesn't do the shimmy at light throttle, light load, not accelerating doing between 55-60 mph anymore.

Latest posts

Members online