Should I keep it?!

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
I have always said since I got my powerstroke that I would just drive it into the ground but now I'm starting to get worried that it's a time bomb! It has 180,000 miles I'm just worried that all the little parts are going to start wearing out.

Petro

Reaction score
If you keep up with maintence and dont beat the ever living sh*t out of it I wouldnt worry about it. Just make sure to take care of all the 6.0L maintence B.s. and There is no reason why it shouldnt keep running great.

alwil

Reaction score
Do you feel comfortable driving it everyday, or do you look under the hood for puking everytime you shut the truck off??

yeehaw

Reaction score
another way to look at it is the cost of fixing it IF it does break....or owning a brand new one with a huge payment and the chance of it still breaking? If yours doesn't have any huge issues right now, just keep maintaining it and driving it.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
No I drive it comfortably and the truck is still running stock injectors but I have deleted the oil cooler and EGR valve and installed a coolant filter I was going to do head studs in the near future

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Ok im also stationed in Germany so anytime I order parts it takes at least 10 days for them to get here I ordered an oil pressure regulator 10days ago (had a no start but got lucky the regulator was just stuck) and I'm still waiting on it!

Petro

Reaction score
just keep running it...don't do studs til it starts puking! If it's running fine now, don't even touch it besides typical maintenance.

Why would you want it to start puking before doing studs? Stud it to prevent puking all together. Why would you want it to puke?

alwil

Reaction score
If you are still comfortable driving it then personaly I would keep it and put money away for a just in case fund.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
Why would you want it to start puking before doing studs? Stud it to prevent puking all together. Why would you want it to puke?

technically its already damaged and just time till it will start to leak. even if you studded it and was leaking, you will have to do a hg job anyway. so its best to wait till they are offically blown and do it right the first time with heads being checked out.

Petro

Reaction score
Yes but what if they arent leaking? When its puking you know for sure they are blown, but if it isnt puking and there is no sign of bad gaskets why wait till they blow when you could prevent it?

Jarrod B

Reaction score
you have 180k on the truck. the chance of them not leaking is remote.

mine has been deleted for a good while before i got it at 141k and now has 162k. i have a pin hole somewhere on mine. its your truck you can do what you want. just trying to help prevent having to work on it twice. and you still can blow hg with studs. it has happen before.

Petro

Reaction score
I See. I was under the impression that the gaskets could live longer than that if it was treated properly. I assumed that most high milage 6.0s that were basically stock and werent puking had good gaskets. I just figured if it wasnt puking and there were no signs that they were more than likely good no matter what the milage was. Guess I learned something today. Gotta love the 6 Liter.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
in a perfect world, if it was deleted say under 50k when new, you should be ok. anything over you most likely have passed coolant through it already.

this all comes from a ford tech that was told to me.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
Getting it pressure tested is one way to find it,and maybe there are other ways to tell.

yeah basically. also strip test coolant.

i guess if it passes all that, you could stud it. but imo is to just drive till they leak or have to add coolant weekly or daily, then get it all done then.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
its a hit and miss really. i know a guy thats still stock on everything and has over 250k LOL

once this engine is fixed, its a bad ass engine.

Latest posts

Members online