Shoulda just went with beans

Status
Not open for further replies.

2000wa250

Reaction score
What boost did the o ring fail at? I have a hard time believing that unless it was a manufacturing defect (which does happen) an o ring or plenum would crack at low boost. I cannot view your video so I am sure if the o ring failed or just didn't seal completely. I know when I put my plenums on from irate I thought they were sealed but kept tightening the bolts and it turned out that there was still plenty of space to go as far as tightening them.

I agree with tarm, before bashing a vendor or anyone there should be steps taken to make sure that it was a design flaw. By not trying a second set you have avoided elimating a manufacturing defect and instead have chosen to hang up a vendor in a public forum. This, imo is a reprehensible action that speaks for itself.

As far as the frx which did you have? The first gen or second gen? I know from talking to clay in person that the first gen were recalled and upgraded because of the potential for leaks.

Regardless I am sorry for your luck. Mistakes happen, especially when a product is first released and demand goes crazy like it has. My money is that you got a defected piece and that your problems are a result of this. A warped plenum would result in both of your problems so the smart money is on a defect in production of these pieces not in the person supplying them

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

sethc24

Reaction score
I bought intake plenum inserts from RR and they work awesome. They are one piece and have no o-ring or such thing on them?. All my products from RR have been top notch and work flawlessly and clay is an awesome dude. OP i think your full of #*&#$.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Way to come out swinging... Clay is awesome to deal with and I don't think he has a bad quality rep anywhere. Even though he is not a vendor over here, I am sure most agree.

As for the FRx... First or second gen? As stated above, there was some sort of recall on the first gen to upgrade to the second gen. I have the second gen, and am nothing but happy with it.

I would hate to have you buy something from me if this is how you act the second something goes wrong. If you were so unhappy about them not being 1 piece, than why did you install them instead of returning them right away?

TARM

Reaction score
Unless he just changed designs( anything is possible I guess), they maybe come all put together but right from Clays own email its clear they are two pieces. The base plenum and the intake neck that the boots connect to. They may come together as one final piece but they are not one monolith piece.

Clays email:

"Michael,
If you would like to send that back that is no problem. Here is the shipping label to do so. *It looks as if for some reason sealant wasn't applied to the plenum neck on that one which isn't the way it was designed. *I am sorry for the issue and would like to be able to send you a different set if that would be permissible."

For something to need sealing means it can not be all one piece. It is two pieces the base and neck connected and the sealed with a sealant.

01platinum

Reaction score
Crazy. I have a set of WOP intake plenums sitting on my work bench that still need to be installed. Sucks to see that happened. Sure it will be taken care of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

TARM

Reaction score
Some of you need to try reading a bit. You can clearly see in the video where its leaking and then if you combine that with the email Clay HIMSELF sent to him it clearly states that there is a junction that is sealed and that it is very likely that this was not done or done properly when they were made. Who said it was not a manf defect? It looks like it was. Yes the op was writing just after it happened and was a hot about it and posting from pure frustration. A mistake but no different that those coming in with blind backing without bothering to actually read or comprehend was posted.

HERE I will make it very easy for everyone and redo this the original post with the same things that have happened but with out being in the middle of being upset over the hours spent getting them on only to have a manf defect make it all for not. Then add in that no matter whos fault it was you thought you were getting a one piece unit and with the leak you can see its not.

Thread titled: New Intake Plenum from Riff had a issue.

Well guys I just got thru installing and trying out the intake plenum from RR. I have to say I am a bit frustrated. Its just my luck. I got the thing got it all on and took it for a test drive and I noticed my EGTs high and boost low. Stopped and checked things out and found I had a leak in the actual intake itself. Thinking it was a one piece unit If figured I had a crack. After spraying some soapy water around I found the leak right at the point where the neck comes up that you would attach the boot onto. Upon further inspection I could see that it was not a crack but actually the neck and main body are two separate pieces where I had thought it was all one unit. I had purchased this under the idea that it was a one piece unit. I wanted this so I would not have the possibility of these type of leaks etc.. I do not know exactly where the confusion came from, either on my part or what I was told but this is not what I wanted.

I emailed Clay and here is what he had to say :

"Michael,
If you would like to send that back that is no problem. Here is the shipping label to do so. *It looks as if for some reason sealant wasn't applied to the plenum neck on that one which isn't the way it was designed. *I am sorry for the issue and would like to be able to send you a different set if that would be permissible."

As I wanted a one piece unit I asked for a refund and Clay had no issues although as can be seen he wanted to to try out a properly manf unit.

I must just not be a unlucky guy first I had one of the FRX cross overs that just had to leak on me when so many have had them work great. Now I have this issue. Can not say I not frustrated here but I am going to go have a few beers (maybe a case or two chasing a bottle of Jack LOL You could all see how pissed he was right!!:mad::pimp:) and let this blow off. Nothing against Clay as I know with so many that are super happy with what they got I think it was just one of those things were really bad luck of the draw.

As I wanted a full one piece unit I am going to go with one from Beans even though I am sure the other unit replacement would have worked. I want the piece of mind. I had wanted that Beans one in the first place but this was such a good deal I figured it was worth a try. I just did not realize it was not a full one piece unit. We will see if my luck changes.

Miller time with my friend JACK

Now I am not saying everything in there is what exactly happened word for word but it covers the general way things went. But when you add in a few hours of knuckle busting then trouble shooting and end up being all wasted and you have to do it all over again and frustration certainly can get the better of most anyone at times. Hence why I posted what I did the previous post.

I really do not want to see another stupid b1tch feast war between groups with very strong opposing views as it will do nothing.

The guy thought he was getting a one piece unit. The one he got had a manf defect. that was missed by QC. Clay as usual stood behind his produce with great customer service and offered a full refund or replacement. As the OP wanted a all one piece unit he took the refund and is now getting what he wanted.

When you take all the drama out of it that is all that happened. Happens every day with all companies in every industry. Done. No need for anyone on either side to get there panties in a wad or get all butt hurt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online