Shut off truck now won't start.

Arisley

Reaction score
You probably drained the rails. Crank for 30 seconds, let it sit for a couple minutes. Repeat four or five times. Check HPOP reservoir while letting starter cool off. If you can get a scanner on there, watch ICP.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
archoil is not gonna bandaid worn orings its stiction lube like rev x.. just makes stuff slippery..

id run water in my crankcase before i put rotella in it..

live life full throttle

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Lol! What you hating on rotella for? I've run it in farm tractors forever and hadn't turned screw on them. Of course a little different type system I understand. But really what's wrong with rotella?
Yea Arisely that's what I did. Except no scanner. Dealership has it now. They're going to diagnose it but I made it clear in an email to the service dept and the mechanic before purchasing any injectors,hpop,turbo, other than orings,seals or sensors before talking to me first.at least this way all my issues will get worked out. I feel pretty good about it.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I've been thinking about what you said Lincoln locker about archoil. I was guessing it was lubing up the orings and making them seal up. Last winter when I added it it totally fixed the hard start when it was cold and zero smoke when it fired up for @1500 miles give or take. Didn't use a drop of oil. Then all of a sudden it started back. So if the archoil wasn't fixing the orings what was it fixing? And I'm not familiar with stiction? I know it has to do with injectors but what does that mean exactly?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I've been thinking about what you said Lincoln locker about archoil. I was guessing it was lubing up the orings and making them seal up. Last winter when I added it it totally fixed the hard start when it was cold and zero smoke when it fired up for @1500 miles give or take. Didn't use a drop of oil. Then all of a sudden it started back. So if the archoil wasn't fixing the orings what was it fixing? And I'm not familiar with stiction? I know it has to do with injectors but what does that mean exactly?
rotella has been proven many times over to create chitty idle, start and running conditions. i switched out to dello and bam, problems solved.. same as the rest of us.. give chevron dello 15-40 a try...

stiction is more frequent in 6.0 spool valves but super high mileage 7.3s with worn poppet valves can have similar stiction issues but rarely fixed with an additive.. once its that far on a 7.3, its time to replace injectors.

live life full throttle

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Well slap me thrice and send me to me mommy! Then that's been my problem the whole time. Not just the orings but injectors all together. I'd already made up my mind to change them anyways. I would like to go with hybrids and get good tuning to restrict them till I can pull the heads and do what needs to be done. If were to go with a 200/100 injectors,t500 hpop,gtp38r,and fuel system dp tuner or any well known vendor could tune them to perform until the funds are there to get full potential? This way it leaves room for upgrading? Am I right or is this not a good idea? I would definitely want tunes restricted to 425hp max!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well slap me thrice and send me to me mommy! Then that's been my problem the whole time. Not just the orings but injectors all together. I'd already made up my mind to change them anyways. I would like to go with hybrids and get good tuning to restrict them till I can pull the heads and do what needs to be done. If were to go with a 200/100 injectors,t500 hpop,gtp38r,and fuel system dp tuner or any well known vendor could tune them to perform until the funds are there to get full potential? This way it leaves room for upgrading? Am I right or is this not a good idea? I would definitely want tunes restricted to 425hp max!
that combo will definitely get you there but if you ever want more out of it then id go 250/200s and have them de-tuned till you are ready to do what you want.

live life full throttle

Dirtclod

Reaction score
The Dealership has looked at my truck and says it needs a compression check. They said the engine was spinning really fast like it had no compression. Would worn out injectors cause this?

Arisley

Reaction score
Lots of things can cause it. Injectors or glow plugs missing would cause it, but other than that, not really.

Sounds bad if compression is low enough to spin motor noticeably faster.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Haven't done it yet. It's getting hauled back to NC Monday. The mechanic at home sàid hes a lil behind so I'm guessing a couple weeks before I know what's up!

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Worse case scenario is engine is done. What's an average rebuild for a 7.3? With forged rods and heads to handle 250/100 hybrid injectors? Would it be best to buy a crate engine or rebuild mine?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I had it picked up today and and talked to the mechanic that ran diagnostic. He said there is no codes showing and it should be running minus compression being low. There's oil leaking from somewhere up in the front of engine I noticed this morning. This wasn't leaking before. And I couldn't tell where from. In 30 min of sitting on the trailer there was a spot about 2" dropped. Don't look like at the water pump but it could be. I noticed before my wreck it seemed like the harmonic balancer might be a lil wobbly due to locked up fan clutch. I had replaced the clutch and pwr steering pump because of play in the shaft. The tranny and all the ujoints and carrier bearing was replaced. All this being out of balance could be the reason for my trouble.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I stopped by the mechanics shop that it was previously at yesterday and returned a couple sockets he let me borrow. I told him about the compression. He said there's no way it could not have compression. He mentioned the the hpop being gear driven from the crank which is also driving lpop. He thinks that's the problem. When I was cranking it the oil pressure gauge didn't move until I sprayed fluid to it and it tried to start. Then it finally came up. He thinks the hpop is leaking down to the gear and that's probably the leak I saw. Has anyone had this to happen to their 7.3?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.