Signs of a weak/bad air dog

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has run into any of these issues with an ad....

stock fuel 6.4 w/ single 366. 130k mile truck.

A little background stock lpfp went out and believed to kill the hpfp. Hpfp was replaced. Along with an ad165 (set at 10psi,) fuel bowl deleted. Stock nozzle truck. Hpfp lasted about 700 miles. Started to have issues with frp, jumping around 3k+ psi @ cruising speeds. Truck would randomly stall at times. Replaced hpfp again. Pump lasted about 600 miles, same thing frp not consistent etc. At this point thought maybe metal went through the injectors and keeps ruining the pumps. Also when the frp would jump it would be a big diferrence 3-5k either direction and you could feel it in the truck like it was put under a load and instantly taken off. So third pump goes in, with all brand new injectors. About 300 miles go by...same thing random frp and random stalling.Talk to our tuner whos tunes we are currently running and says to bump frp up to 12-20 psi. Run the truck @ 18psi @ idle and it runs awesome.....for 800 miles. There is a lpf gauge on the truck to monitor psi. Truck has started to jump around in frp in small increments (smaller) +/- 1000 psi. This time have been paying very close attention to the gauge and when the truck would sit @ idle (18psi) the lpf would slowly rise to almost 22-25psi and stay there. Then even going down the hwy the truck would run @ 22psi cruising. A few minutes later pressure would go down to 18, 17. Truck tried to stall once and frp dropped to around 1700 but it never actually stalled (first time truck has tried to stall and didn't completely stall out ever.)

Get the truck back to the shop and adjust frp down to 16 psi. When we were trying to adjust it would adjust, give it some throttle let it sit and see where we were at psi wise. Hardly moving the adjustment screw on it would see huge swings in psi from 15-22 psi. Even when you did not move the adjuster it would never seem to settle at exactly where we wanted it. Finally getting it to sit around the 16 psi took it out and it drove great. For about 20 miles. Get going a little bit further and crusing down the hwy @ 2500 rpms the lpf is running @ 14psi. Before the pump would stay right around where it was cruising the same as it was set at idle. So if idle was 18 it would cruise at 18. Now on a hot street tune and rolling into the throttle It will drop to almost 10 psi. I do not recall it dropping that much previously. Also the lpf going down the road will almost seem to twitch on the gauge. And this is not a problem with the gauge because it also reflects the twitch in frp. Also even when it is set @ 16 psi during the 200 mile trip yesterday it sat at some lights and idled at 18-19 psi. Then when I got home and sat in the driveway it idled at 14 psi and never came back up. Go to start it today and it idles at 16psi and cruises at 14psi. Are the majority of the problems we are having caused by this ad ? And if so is it the motor itself or the regulator? When you turn the key on it never really changes pitch but while the truck is running it seems to have a variation of pitches......all of the gauge twitching etc is something new in the last few hundred miles.

Cliff notes on truck, stock nozzles/ad165/fuel bowl delete/fuel cooler delete

Please don't just say should of gone with such and such pump as this problem has been irritating enough.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
glad you got it figured out, or i hope that was it

fingers are crossed, it has a warranty on it obviously so we shall see. Im just tired of chasing the issues with it and I hope/believe they are stemmed from the lpf side of things.......time will tell

beans-
Ya if I keep having problems I may bend a piece of metal and make my own fuel system.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Definitely following this thread so please post the results. Fuel issues on 6.4s can be a real PIA. Where do you have your LP gauge plummed in? Also, just wanted to confirm this setup is an unregulated return?

Latest posts

Members online