Signs of TC dying?

sethc24

Reaction score
Hey guys the Torque converter in my truck i think is starting to die. Like the engine sounds different now at about 1400 rpm im hearing weird engine sounds. Sounds a bit like gravel inside of a can full of oil or something. And the truck seems to be down on power a bit. Anyways what are the signs?

David N

Reaction score
That noise you are hearing could be the nuts on the converter coming loose...

Mine is going out at the moment... As soon as I start to build about 15psi of boost, the converter will unlock and its determined to not lock back after it does that.

What do you have done to your truck? Or is it stock? Miles?

sethc24

Reaction score
315,000 KM on the truck. And about 135,000 KM on the transmission. I have a john wood valvebody in the tranny. Just replaced filter and did a flush to new fluid 3000km ago. Tuning from Tony wildman. 4" exhaust, 6637, Turbo wheel. Pretty basic stuff. I have a trans temp gauge. And my temperature is completely normal. Its not running hot.

David N

Reaction score
Mine never goes above 150* either... Does the converter unlock when you start rolling into the throttle?

dietoremain

Reaction score
the gravel sound isnt good thats for sure! Crawl under and listen at an idle too and have someone put it in gear.

sethc24

Reaction score
Yes the converter has unlocked when i roll into the throttle at 50 mph. Especially in tony's street tune. Okay i will listen to the idle and in gear. Thanks guys.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Tis the season!

Mine shifted real early and wouldnt downshift after that when it went out. Mine would get hot though. Like around 200* hot. That was in cooler weather. On hard acceleration, when shifting, it would shutter then slam into gear. Put the 38r on and the trans died after two days.

sethc24

Reaction score
my tranny stays cool. And the tranny temp guage hardly even moves from bottom even after 15 minutes of driving. Im not sure if that any indication of the tc going. And the tranny is fine i dont know?

Latest posts

Members online