single turbo/ different setups

Nick284

Reaction score
im guessing not too many people or not anyone has tried a turbo smaller then the 366 as a single. due to loosing power or staying the same as stock chargers. but i figured id throw this out there just to see or hear the knowledge from people that i dont have. i have a midwest kit, running the billet 366, kits awesome, seems to build good power, more then stock.i like how it drives, just wish it spooled a touch faster... i was reading/ searching around and came up with 2 ideas but not sure if its worth it or id want to do it. BW sells a 363 billet turbo or a 364.5 FMW. im guessing the 363 would spool pretty instantly? and clear the smoke alot faster if any due to it lighting right away. then the 364.5 flows the same amount of air as the 66mm but Borg warner claims it will spool exactly like the 363... saying that, has anyone tried anything smaller or does anyone know turbo chargers. id like to make a decision by monday. curious to what everyone knows and im looking for advise due to me not having too much knowledge in the diesel world...thanks!

NRHX2009

Reaction score
Switching to a 64.5 or a 63mm you are going to a smaller 68mm turbine wheel from a 73mm you have now. What I would suggest is you try either turbo with a .91 turbine housing, check backpreasure, and go larger in housing size if it's getting out of hand. 68 tw Spools much faster than the 73mm

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Have you thought about going to a Ball Bearing charger? Ya its more money, but it will spool a good bit quicker. Just a little food for thought.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Have you thought about going to a Ball Bearing charger? Ya its more money, but it will spool a good bit quicker. Just a little food for thought.

They don't, but im not starting that argument.

On another note, I would try the 64.5FMW with the 70mm turbine, I love that turbo, would be a good match for the 6.4

But anything smaller than that and you'll start losing out on power.

Nick284

Reaction score
I was leaning towards the 364.5. But i dont want to pay and have it almost the same as my 66. Then have to resell and loose money. Now ive been reading, im torn between the 362 fmw. And 363 billet. I read they spool fast and will still push 575 hp. Id love the 64.5 if it actually spooled like a 63 they claim. But i dont think its possible to flow as much air as a 66 and still spool that much faster. A 362 id probly loose power even tho it still flows 75/pm as the 63 does... I just want 550 to 600 and almost instant spool out of a smaller single i feel it can be done. And perfect for a DD truck

Nick284

Reaction score
Any experience with the 64.5? Il take a chance on that instead of a 63 if i can get good feedback. Just want something faster then the 66 billet

NRHX2009

Reaction score
64.5 is faster than the 66, with the .91 housing.

Flows 1 lb per min less than cast 66 so you might notice a tad of loss up top if you were running a good billet 66.

But the spool will be worth the slight drop.

Reaction score
Nick, I think you would like the 364.5 but the 363 is pretty hard to beat. Minimum .91 possibly a 1.0 housing with the 68 turbine. Unless your gated then I would do the .91 and not worry.

Reaction score
We also have a truck using a s360 but with compound to a s480. It spools extremely well and is very clean. The spool is very reminiscent of modded stock chargers. But as a single you would really be limited on power.

Nick284

Reaction score
right now im leaning towards the 62 FMW or the 363. i like how simple the single set up is, and how much more room there is. im not a good mechanic and i can have a turbo out and swapped in a half hour! i found a used 62 i could buy just to test out before i spent the big bucks on a brand new one. thinking of doing that... with the 62 im hoping to still be at 550 ish HP. ive always been one to second guess myself so i always want info. its a 62/68/.91 flows 74/ min i believe....if morgan says it will run good etc.. id go for it. and when im ready purchase a brand new turbo straight from you. im very happy with the quick response, business, and also appreciate all the help from him.. great guy to deal with.... side not, like i said i think the single is awesome and i like the kit

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
A 62fmw box unit Will not live long and you will definitely need to waste gate it around 45psi if you want a 62fmw you need a custom built htt unit with a 74mm turbine wheel so you don't over speed it
Just a little food for thought

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yep. 68 mm turbine is too little for these trucks. Bigger a/r housing 1.1 would help. But a wastegate would allow for the quicker spooling and not over speeding it on the top. We have a 60/68/.91 used with compounds that spools good, but it hits the gate pretty fast.

Latest posts

Members online