single turbo...still tow and snow plow????

travisH3

Reaction score
hey fellas,

little background since im not on here much.
2010 f350 6.4 reg cab long bed. h&S mini maxx deleted, AFE stage 2 intake, exhaust, traction bars...etc the basic 6.4 mods.

Ive been looking at single turbo options. this is one of my business trucks but we have other f450 drw trucks that will be used for heavy towing. what the 6.4 does is tow 3-4k pounds max. i think the only real problem is snow plowing since its alot of back and forth needing to spool up. now we only use my truck occasionally but if something came up i wanted it to still be able to work if needed. is there a single turbo option that will spool close to stock so that i could tow and snow plow still, if so what turbo specs do you recommend. Im guessing im gonna go with the MPD single turbo mount kit, is there better or other options? I talked to MPD and they were hoping to have their redesigned kit ready this week.

do you guys have anything to suggest? i really wanted to go single non-vgt. i like the simplicity of it and price. I also would love to have the sound back because i miss my 6.0's rumble and now we are selling our last 6.0 and I wont be able to enjoy it anymore lol.

thanks!

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
a 66mm will spool the closest to stock while not loosing power.. the only thing you are gaining IMO is the sound. spoolup is considerably slower than stock, your truck will naturally run hotter when even towing a small amount because the charger wont light as fast. and really no power gain. the power curve is quite different, but not much of a gain if any.

but as far as it working, yes i think itll work. IIRC MPD has their old F450 tow truck plowing. S472 60s and dual fuelers. someone can correct me if im wrong.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
a 66mm will spool the closest to stock while not loosing power.. the only thing you are gaining IMO is the sound. spoolup is considerably slower than stock, your truck will naturally run hotter when even towing a small amount because the charger wont light as fast. and really no power gain. the power curve is quite different, but not much of a gain if any.

but as far as it working, yes i think itll work. IIRC MPD has their old F450 tow truck plowing. S472 60s and dual fuelers. someone can correct me if im wrong.

I believe your right, but 4.88 gears help a lot over a 3.73!

sootie

Reaction score
are you only looking to do the single for sound?

a drop in atmo or a set of upgraded compounds could potentially give you more power than the single turbo and be very drive able and smoke free.

travisH3

Reaction score
are you only looking to do the single for sound?

a drop in atmo or a set of upgraded compounds could potentially give you more power than the single turbo and be very drive able and smoke free.

Sound is a big part of it, only reason I wasn't looking at compounds is because they are so expensive. I really wasn't looking for a huge power increase. I just want something that will still be strong and reliable. I figured the smoke could prolly be cut down pretty well with custom tuning but that would basically just cut down throttle response if I'm thinking correctly. Would a drop in atmo turbo give me change in sound?

travisH3

Reaction score
Im not sure how everyone gets this idea that comounds are so expensive when a good set up from us is 2750 exchanged? How much is a single kit again?

Looking at elites website the tow powers were 3k and up from there. Where my buddy just took the s366 off his truck for an s466 so I could pick that up cheap if that will work good. It's coming off the Holderdown f350 which is a 6.0 so I was looking for some experience with the 6.4 I'm not against compounds I'm asking questions to see what's best for me, I was told to ask on this forum because a lot of you have more experience with turbo mods on the 6.4.

travisH3

Reaction score
You gotta compare prices guy. There's more than one option. I dont think I'd compromise driveability over a couple bucks!
:ford:

I haven't seen the price of MPD single kit because they haven't officially released it yet. What do you suggest to get some more sound out of the truck while not compromising driveability. And what cost am I looking at, just ballpark?

travisH3

Reaction score
For changing sound, my biggest things were exhaust manifolds (6.0 style rcd manifolds), and up pipes obviously.

ok well i guess back to the drawing board, i was hoping the s366 was the answer so i could scoop that up cheap with low miles on it. guess I will just keep it stock and let her eat till something breaks and I have to fix it. it only has 40k miles and still under warranty but besides brake control module shorting out causing the whole can/bus system to shut down the truck hasnt been a problem at all.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.