Sled pulling with vgt or non vgt ?

Sheps0769

Reaction score
I'm just curious on different setups that people use for sled pulling on a 6.7. I currently have a 2013 but will be getting a 15' pump and turbo this winter. The class I pull in says it has to look stock so that's why I was thinking modded 15' turbo. I do pull my trailer but its really light weighing in at 6200lbs loaded. Thanks

Sheps0769

Reaction score
And you don't think a vgt with to much backpressure would cause rods to bend with to much low pressure fueling. I'm thinking more off the line while rpms are still down

Sheps0769

Reaction score
So what's the benifit from vgt to non vgt. I know the increased spool up from low rpm which I imagine would help get my wheel speed up quick. But I figured that would be more beneficial for at the track compared to pulling. Also heard Non vgt flow cooler then vgt but don't know if that's true. I've been looking at both the streetmax and the 64.5sxe

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So what's the benifit from vgt to non vgt. I know the increased spool up from low rpm which I imagine would help get my wheel speed up quick. But I figured that would be more beneficial for at the track compared to pulling. Also heard Non vgt flow cooler then vgt but don't know if that's true. I've been looking at both the streetmax and the 64.5sxe

they each have their own plus. i would say size for size the non bgt will always win. either way you are robbing peter to pay paul for whatever need you have. spool or top end power, as well as back pressure. if it was strictly sled pulling i would go non vgt , if you still plan to tow vgt , or a small non vgt like a 63 . what class are you looking to run ?

Sheps0769

Reaction score
they each have their own plus. i would say size for size the non bgt will always win. either way you are robbing peter to pay paul for whatever need you have. spool or top end power, as well as back pressure. if it was strictly sled pulling i would go non vgt , if you still plan to tow vgt , or a small non vgt like a 63 . what class are you looking to run ?

Ya I know haha. It is my dd patch truck as well. I do tow but my trailer is Only 6200lbs loaded. I plan on pulling in the work stock class cause most of the classes on the NW are 8000lbs and I can't make weight. That's why I need to stay stock looking and below a 66mm in Canada. In the US I can put a modified 15 turbo in as long as it stays stock looking and has under a 2.5" inducer size

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Ya I know haha. It is my dd patch truck as well. I do tow but my trailer is Only 6200lbs loaded. I plan on pulling in the work stock class cause most of the classes on the NW are 8000lbs and I can't make weight. That's why I need to stay stock looking and below a 66mm in Canada. In the US I can put a modified 15 turbo in as long as it stays stock looking and has under a 2.5" inducer size

hit me up for whatever you wanna do , we stock all the vgt and non vgt kits available, at the best prices possible.

50_shooter

Reaction score
You've really got no choice if you want it stock appearing, if the person inspecting has a clue of what to look for.

Sheps0769

Reaction score
You've really got no choice if you want it stock appearing, if the person inspecting has a clue of what to look for.

Oh I know haha. Wouldn't have the ford stamp on the turbo with the non vgt but would look completely stock. The CD dollar is a killer right now that's why the 64.5sxe seems so enticing. But I want more power then a 15' turbo with a billet wheel

Last edited:

highdrum

Reaction score
streetmaxr will make north of 600 hp with a 15 pump I believe and still look stock, you can add a cp3 to the mix and push 650+ however tuning becomes critical to keep things running safely on the bottom end of the motor. Nice thing bout pulling, is you're always in high rpm range, rod speed is high, less change of bending/breaking. It high load at slow rod speed that usually kills em.

Sheps0769

Reaction score
Streetmax.

Cant beat it!

Ya I guess the more I look at it the tow or streetmax are the way to go. Based more on rules I found out that the pedestal can only be changed to incorporate a different year/model turbo so I wouldn't be able to run non vgt even if it looked stock. Does the streetmax have a inducer size greater then 2.53" cause that's the size of the text plug? Also how much of a difference is the towmax to a 15' turbo with a 61mm billet wheel. I'm just thinking Horsepower wise cause the price is $800us which would almost pay for a 15' pump for me as well. Thanks for all the help everyone so far !!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Ya I guess the more I look at it the tow or streetmax are the way to go. Based more on rules I found out that the pedestal can only be changed to incorporate a different year/model turbo so I wouldn't be able to run non vgt even if it looked stock. Does the streetmax have a inducer size greater then 2.53" cause that's the size of the text plug? Also how much of a difference is the towmax to a 15' turbo with a 61mm billet wheel. I'm just thinking Horsepower wise cause the price is $800us which would almost pay for a 15' pump for me as well. Thanks for all the help everyone so far !!

tow max is 62.5 , street max 65.5

tyler17berg

Reaction score
People have passed the mpd budget kit for a stock charger in the work stock but that's probably just because of the stock piping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheps0769

Reaction score
People have passed the mpd budget kit for a stock charger in the work stock but that's probably just because of the stock piping.

I would run stock piping just cause I don't wanna void my warranty as well. I don't wanna cheat though either and make it unfair for other people having fun in work stock class. Such a tough call. I don't want people getting upset cause I'm pulling 350ft on a "stock 15 turbo. To me it shouldn't matter as long as it's a stock housing. Will see I guess. She pulls very good already. Usually average 315ft+. I'm trying to beat this dodge that runs a 66sxe with sticks and duel fuelers but competes in my class in Alberta. Has about 800hp lol

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score

Berg?????

If you're worried about appearing stock do a Street Max with supporting mods. If you go non VGT any diesel guy with a brain can see you're not legal. Me and Berg could get away with it down here because nobody down here knows wtf a 6.7 looks like stock or modded LOL unless its a cummins then everybody is an expert.

powerstrokelyfe

Reaction score
Berg?????

If you're worried about appearing stock do a Street Max with supporting mods. If you go non VGT any diesel guy with a brain can see you're not legal. Me and Berg could get away with it down here because nobody down here knows wtf a 6.7 looks like stock or modded LOL unless its a cummins then everybody is an expert.

Haha, very true. even up here in Canada, not to many 6.7L fords sled pull. Cummins and lbz/lmm territory :thumbsup:

Sheps0769

Reaction score
Haha, very true. even up here in Canada, not to many 6.7L fords sled pull. Cummins and lbz/lmm territory :thumbsup:

Haha I'm the only 6.7 That pulls in the Alberta league. Maybe a couple 6.0 but that's it. Ya I've looked into it and a streetmax or towmax will be my option. I do a couple of pulls in Washington and Idaho so I don't feel like coming down and getting booted cause I'm not "stock". Should just make 2.5 a 8500lbs class haha

Jeremy @ No Limit

Reaction score
I would run stock piping just cause I don't wanna void my warranty as well. I don't wanna cheat though either and make it unfair for other people having fun in work stock class. Such a tough call. I don't want people getting upset cause I'm pulling 350ft on a "stock 15 turbo.

Any direction you are looking at is going to void the warranty. A stock 2015 upgrade with the tuning needed to make it run is going to void the warranty. The piping isn't going to change that...

Sheps0769

Reaction score
Any direction you are looking at is going to void the warranty. A stock 2015 upgrade with the tuning needed to make it run is going to void the warranty. The piping isn't going to change that...

Not here in Canada haha. My trucks been ******d since day 1 and has a 8" lift. Replaced a starter, ball joint and a tensioner all under warranty. A lot of dealerships are doing warranty work now. Friend of mine just took out his motor with a s467.7 and got a brand new long block haha. But he had to replace it back to stock before he brought it in. Most are ******** right from th dealership

Latest posts

Members online