slow crank

youngstroker

Reaction score
posting for my bro he has an 05, f350, 4x4, cclb, 6.0psd, at. he is complaing of a slow crank in the morning almost wont start, now i live in chicago he lives in michigan so i can't go over there and just check it out myself. so i'm giving him things to check so far i told him to have his batterys tested and to check the alternator out put, both loaded and unloaded, is there anything that you guys have seen to cause a drain down over night?

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I park my truck for two weeks at a time, and when my batteries started to go south, I hooked the power supply to my gauges on an aux switch, so I could limit the drain. Also, the factory alarm was very sensitive, so I detuned it a little, so the horn wasnt randomly going off as often. This helped a little. But truth be told, when your batteries start to go, you should replace them soon. Bad batteries could ruin a FICM.

Reaction score
Most likely bad alternator that killed the batts. my father's truck is the same truck just a dually. And def replace those batts asap cause they will kill the ficm quick ! I recommend the1000ca dekas I love mine. Fires up like a 6.4 :thumbsup:

youngstroker

Reaction score
thats what i told him he said he had them replaced 2 years ago both batterys and the alternator when i asked what kind of battery i said did you buy cheap ones he was like no they where like $90. so im pretty sure it needs new batterys to start.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I bought the die hard platinums. 980 CCA, and a 5 year warranty. They ran me around $450 a battery, IIRC, but the truck fires everytime, no matter how long I leave it sitting, or how long its been burried in snow.

Reaction score
lots of useless advice to change the batteries before they have been tested and proven that they have a single thing to do with his issue. #1 separate the batteries, charge them, load test and go from there.(we have no proof that the batteries are not putting out) #2 while they are charging clean and tighten EVERY connection between the starter and both batteries.#3 if no issue is revealed check alternator output. #4 have a knowledgeable person do a voltage drop test on all the battery cables. #5 the starter could be tired, overhaul kit is less than 50 bucks(usually), true up the armature, install new brushes and bushings and you should be GTG

Zmann

Reaction score
Agreed on testing the batts before doing anything else

even one weak one will pull down the other since they are directly connected

and the FICM advice is a key reason to get this resolved ASAP

can u please post a link to the starter rebuild kit?

Reaction score
can't say I've had to replace a starter in a looong time, but if you talk to an electric motor repair shop, they should be able to get you something. they may even stock the brushes. they can turn the armature if needed, and repair opens on the armature. bushing may or may not need replacing. if a guy has access to a metal lather an some bronze he could just make them himself. no black magic to repairing a starter

Reaction score
buying them makes more sense for sure. but these days so few people do it that there just isn't much market. it really amazes me how many people install "new rebuilt" starters and alternators for hundreds of $$$$ when for very few dollars they could rebuild them for pennies at home in the driveway. and then KNOW that it was done right. back in 88 when I went to diesel tech schoool you could do a total overhaul on a delco alternator for 15-25 bucks

Reaction score
sure change the FICM IF its buggered. I bet you did test first. I absolutely abhor changing expensive parts just as an experiment. I can see where it would crank slow, if half the cylinders are not being fired. just like an old gasser that is flooded, pull the plugs dry them off and it turns 3x as fast now that the engine is helping the starter instead of just dragging like deadweight

Zmann

Reaction score
Alternators are easy to get parts for online there is a great site ,,alternatorparts . com
I had to swap cases for my rebuilt autozone alternator (for a marine case )

I was disgusted to see all the old parts inside the "premium" rebuilt ,, they only replaced what went out

Latest posts

Members online