Smoking a little and slight loss of power

cdexcavation

Reaction score
Never posted on this before used it a lot for advice but here goes I have a 2005 f-550 6.0 dump truck with around 73,000 mi I have discovered when I get to a cruise speed with the engine under 2000 rpm the truck will quite down and start to smoke a little than looses a little power when I put my foot into it throws some black smoke than clears up and runs fine and goes away I checked my fuel filters all fine I pulled the egr valve out and cleaned it and didn't help any suggestions on what I should test next I was thinking I mite unplug the egr valve and try driving if and seeing if it's not working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Never posted on this before used it a lot for advice but here goes I have a 2005 f-550 6.0 dump truck with around 73,000 mi I have discovered when I get to a cruise speed with the engine under 2000 rpm the truck will quite down and start to smoke a little than looses a little power when I put my foot into it throws some black smoke than clears up and runs fine and goes away I checked my fuel filters all fine I pulled the egr valve out and cleaned it and didn't help any suggestions on what I should test next I was thinking I mite unplug the egr valve and try driving if and seeing if it's not working

You got anything to monitor with? Could be vgt sticking as well.

cdexcavation

Reaction score
No shudder runs smooth just does that smoke and die down thing lay into it and it clears let it settle back to a cruising speed than it does it again I'm gonna unplug that egr valve later and run it if it's not the issue I will try to test that vgt what do I need to monitor with I've got tools available if I don't have them in my garage

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yes, vgt is the solenoid on the turbo. I was referring more to vanes sticking. If you monitor the percentages, it should not drop lower than about 20% on a wot pull, and at idle should stay around the high 60s, low 70s percent wise. If you see it go to 14.99 or 84.99 % at any time, except when you let off tue throttle afyer a long pull, the turbo is sticking. Also check map, ebpa, and baro against eachother koeo. They should be damn near the same, within about .5 psi at least.

cdexcavation

Reaction score
Ok Ill test some more today the egr valve is good checked the fuel filters to make sure and also checked the screens on the sending unit and tested the ficm module getting the proper power with it off and running I have a code reader and it's not throwing any codes and has no stored ones I'm still hoping it's something simple thank you for the help I'll dig into it a bit more today

cdexcavation

Reaction score
I am noticing a surge in power accelerating now I may have over looked it before and almost a skip at idle

Latest posts

Members online