Snake's build (2005 - present)

Snake

Reaction score
I decided to take a different approach with this thread, so just sit down and enjoy the ride.

"I'm only going to add an exhaust, an intake, and tint the windows. And that's it. I'm done after that."

I keep thinking about the Dodge Dart II commercial when considering the time and effort I’ve spent on my 2005 F-250 Harley Davidson Edition: “Step 1 - order a brand new, bone stock truck to your specifications.” And I did just that after failing to find one with a moon roof, a bench seat, and no back-up sensors. Ford completed their part of the build on St. Patrick’s Day and Harley Davidson Edition #3991 arrived at the dealership on April 1, 2005. April Fool’s Day. Ironic, considering I hadn't researched the 6.0 Powerstroke. LOL

After cleaning everything up, here's how the truck sat when it was stock.

Datadump090707020_zps34d5b5fb.jpg

Datadump090707023_zps04f80bc3.jpg

I decided there was no way my dogs were riding in the cab with me, so I began my search for a topper that wouldn't instantly transform my new truck into a Grandpa mobile. The ARE Z-Series topper was exactly what I was looking for. I liked that with the exception of one handle, there aren't hinges or anything else on the outside of the back glass. The clean lines ended up making my F-250 look like an Excursion.

Datadump090707036_zpsfba57f23.jpg

Datadump090707035_zps451d5393.jpg

(anyone else see my scooter in the garage? Man, I miss it!)

Last edited:

Snake

Reaction score
Like a good diesel newb, I joined a bunch of different sites looking for go-fast stuff. At the time, everyone said the first thing my 2005 needed was an exhaust to keep the EGT's down. So I purchased a MBRP 4" turbo back kit with the muffler and cat delete pipes. Tip is a 5" rolled end straight cut. :D

OEM exhaust

muffler_zps1e451cac.jpg

cat_zps2858a62c.jpg

MBRP (ignore the finger prints LOL )

nomuffler_zps64fe639a.jpg

exhaust1_zps63c9d360.jpg

tip1_zps65dbeb13.jpg

I ran a straight pipe for a looooong time. Even swapped a 03 turbo on for more whistle. It was eventually too much for my old ears and I put the 05 turbo back on AND installed the muffler. That's the current set up, but I'm looking for ways to quiet things even further and may install a resonator sometime in the future.

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
so I began my search for a topper that wouldn't instantly transform my new truck into a Grandpa mobile.

It was eventually too much for my old ears and I put the 05 turbo back on AND installed the muffler. That's the current set up, but I'm looking for ways to quiet things even further and may install a resonator sometime in the future.

What was that about a grandpa mobile again? LOL

Looking forward to the rest. Of course you would be the guy who has a dozen pictures of his exhaust install! Love it man! Documentation expert!

Snake

Reaction score
Now I was ready for powah! Ordered a SCT X2 and custom tunes to see what the truck was capable of. Several hundred dollars later, I realized that almost all of the good tuners put out about the same amount of horsepower. But that didn't stop me from trying to squeak every last pony out of the motor....

Datadump090707084_zps2f058fcb.jpg

I think we hit just under 430 rwhp (no torque # available). The truck was unbelievably strong but sadly I never made it back to the track with that combo (stock height and live tuned). I also realized that making an 8,000 lb truck fast was going to be a lot more expensive than doing the same for a car and re-focused my efforts on other aspects of the truck.

I've run tunes from Doug, Innovative, Biava, Mitch (Choke on my Smoke), DJ, Vivian, Tony, and TSD. Currently the Super Panty Dropper (with early TQ lock) from Chris at Truck Source Diesel is installed. Absolutely love it.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
i spot a tire change that wasnt documented or photographed... :poke:

jk..i love your threads.

Snake

Reaction score
What was that about a grandpa mobile again? LOL

Looking forward to the rest. Of course you would be the guy who has a dozen pictures of his exhaust install! Love it man! Documentation expert!

It's not the years, it's the miles! LOL That exhaust install was my first write up ever. Ended up on a few different sites and I had to go back to get the pics. :D

Yes! Finally you make a thread

And just for you LOL

Snake

Reaction score
i spot a tire change that wasnt documented or photographed... :poke:

jk..i love your threads.

You have no idea......I kept track of fuel consumption for a year. I gave up after the spreadsheet said 14-15 mpg over and over and over again. LOL

Snake

Reaction score
One of my all time favorite mods. Completed in 2006

Before I even made my first payment, some goofwad backed out of a parking space and hit me while I was stopped. Only damage was a nick in my rim. He said he didn't hear my horn, so I looked for the loudest thing I could bolt to the truck.

Nathan K3HA

hornsstock_zps5451a86f.jpg

I realized that they'd have to be modded in order to fit without losing my spare tire, and I began researching again. Eventually I ended up fabricating some custom brackets that allowed me to eliminate the manifold for the train horn. It also allowed me to run 1/2" line all the way to the bell's diaphragm. :evil

No way to mount the NPT fittings to the bell

depth2_zps92d6d34d.jpg

My solution? Tap and thread a 1/2" thick piece of billet aluminum for the fitting, then drill two more holes so everything can be bolted together.

plate_zps6e71f464.jpg

Fabrication and test fitting the brackets.......

makingbracket_zps4625213e.jpg

roughbracket_zpseaf4aca1.jpg

roughmount_zps423695ad.jpg

Completed all my mock-up's then primed and painted everything.

bellmount_zpsc946f677.jpg

mounts_zps69a73865.jpg

Reassembly

bellmounted_zpsb68990c1.jpg

I chose a Viair 480C as the compressor to fill the 5 gallon tank. It's good for 200 psi and it's 100% duty cycle.

tank2_zps907c19cc.jpg

How to get air from one solenoid valve to three bells simultaneously

valveandcross_zps275cda34.jpg

Installed pics

compressorandtank1_zps3442e24c.jpg

tankmounted3_zpscd2bddc5.jpg

bellsontruck3_zps10ffd7d8.jpg

bellsontruck4_zpsb7838c6e.jpg

bellsontruck_zps6de49ac0.jpg

Air lines plumbed in.

valvemounted_zps9221d0af.jpg

Yes. They're loud.

And they also have a quick connect for an air line. I ended up having to relocate pretty much everything when the lift kit was installed, which sucked. But the tank and the compressor now reside where the spare used to be. On something custom, of course.

The compressor was wired in so Upfitter #4 works as the trigger wire for the pressure switch. This gives me the capability of turning the compressor off even if the tank pressure is below the switch's min number. Upfitter #3 arms the solenoid valve. This allows me to use the horn button in my steering wheel for both the OEM horn and the Nathans.

Last edited:

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
man this is going to be a sweet thread, keep the info coming. Im looking forward to the timeline of the lift, wheels and tires.

onebadcoastie

Reaction score
How does such a clean, immaculate truck, especially the undercarriage have some a rusted out driveshaft and carrier bearing? lmao!! In for the finish on this Mike. Could take you a while.

Snake

Reaction score
How does such a clean, immaculate truck, especially the undercarriage have some a rusted out driveshaft and carrier bearing? lmao!! .......

Amazing, isn't it?! The truck was only a few months old in that pic and hadn't even seen a winter yet. The guy who installed my lift said every single truck he worked on had the same issue (this was in 2007).

Can you put the train horns and compressor setup on my truck??? Please and thx!!!!

Sure, why not. LOL

oneton

Reaction score
In for snake's smart jazz sarcastic answers when someone ask a stupid question :D.

i love this truck,looks killer in person

Snake

Reaction score
In for snake's smart jazz sarcastic answers when someone ask a stupid question :D.

i love this truck,looks killer in person

Thanks man! Glad you said something actually. I'm going to try to be more patient and understanding with my replies. I don't want to be "that" guy.

Why such a small exhaust? LOL

I had to restrict exhaust flow so 7.3's could keep up.

Well, that didn't last long. LOL

Latest posts

Members online