so it's geting down to build time fo my tow/play truck.

djberg

Reaction score
so i've got my basic plan, colt stg2, hd springs/pushrods, diy ported intake, most likely larger bore pistons(wount know till i fully tear down my core engine), water/meth and all that jazz.

so the main use of the truck will be a shed delivery rig/daily driver. but i wanna have her the best she can be, there are some grey areas i'm working on figuring out and this is why i'm here looking for input. ya know what's worth it, what's a waist of time and that type of thing.

1. head porting, i can have my local machine shop do it but he's pretty myc a chevy 350 dirt track engine guy, so i'm pretty leary on that, he's a smart guy but this is not a chevy 350. also thoughts on hardend exhaust seats, or even larger valves in general.

2. stock exhaust manifold tweaking, i read about opening up the stock manifold a bit larger than the head's exhaust port to give a bit of resistance to keep more exhaust out and letting more intake charge in. anyone have any thoughts on that?

3.piston bowl cutting, i've read a bit on that being super helpful as well, though again i've got no freakin clue on these types of mods.

4. how big can i go on injectors and still being able to pull back fuel to cleanly and safely haul sheds aka 10-12' wide parachutes. also this note i'm running a barder stg 2 so, between the cam, port work, and tuning i wanna keep the turbine on the smaller side for fast as possible turbo spooling, but all the usable towing power, i can get my hands on. also a side note keeping the barder so when the local fair pulls happen next year i look sort of like i'm work stock legal...

and also i'm open to any other suggestions as well. thanks to all of those who chime in.

there's more but my brain is drawing blanks so i'll start with this for now.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
I don't know how much play you're going to be able to get out of a truck you plan on towing with. Heat is gonna kill you.

JGman141

Reaction score
1. I would take it to someone that has experience doing it
2. I had this done and didn't notice any difference
3. I've only seen bowl work done on big power set ups, not sure it would help as a dd because it will lower you're compression
4. The injector body size doesn't matter, it's all about the nozzle size and the biggest I'd go if you tow a lot is 30%

borsky

Reaction score
I have 190 30% and a barder stg 2 with the colt cam, awesome setup I tow 12k with it no problem. If your running larger then stock tires a gear down is a good idea. I wouldn't bother with the bowl work or the porting, maybe just by the bd manifolds instead of messing with the stock manifolds. It should be a solid 550hp truck IMO

sootie

Reaction score
:whs: but throw a ported intake manifold on there and leave the stock exhaust manifolds.

djberg

Reaction score
I don't know how much play you're going to be able to get out of a truck you plan on towing with. Heat is gonna kill you.

yeah, that's definitly the big game ender, or the cap of what's gonna happen.

1. I would take it to someone that has experience doing it
2. I had this done and didn't notice any difference
3. I've only seen bowl work done on big power set ups, not sure it would help as a dd because it will lower you're compression
4. The injector body size doesn't matter, it's all about the nozzle size and the biggest I'd go if you tow a lot is 30%

1. yeah the more i read, the more i wanna find a better option, i see you're in oh any recommendations out your way?

2.interesting, and oh well...

3. good point.

4. 30% seems to be the normal on towing nozzles, why is that? larger nozzles, and smaller fuel amounts(pulling fuel for tow tuning) = not enough atomization?

I have 190 30% and a barder stg 2 with the colt cam, awesome setup I tow 12k with it no problem. If your running larger then stock tires a gear down is a good idea. I wouldn't bother with the bowl work or the porting, maybe just by the bd manifolds instead of messing with the stock manifolds. It should be a solid 550hp truck IMO

weight in pulling sheds isnt the issue, wind resistance seems to be the killer, hell i pulled some caboose parts acrossed the scale at the scrap yard and weighed in at 33,800# and the 10'x10' shed centered on the axles of a 30' goose pulled almost as hard. the aerodynamics of shed pulling is horrible, to the point that i want to make a wind lift type thing for both fuel and power aspects. so as for a weight comparison i cant really add it up, if ya know what i am trying to say. so tuning is gonna be interesting, any way i go.

so the exhaust i'll throw around the thoughs some more and yeah absolutely on the ported intake.

Merc82

Reaction score

You got a good write up on the ORG. I will be using your build as a reference for mine, but with a few differences.

Latest posts

Members online