Something weird going on...

Super08Duty

Reaction score
So i started my truck the other yesterday and look down at my dash. My RPM gauge was chillin at 3500rpms while idling and while driving went up just like it would under normal driving, but still very high rpms. then today i start my truck to find it at 5000rpms, and when driving it completely pegs the gauge making it shake and bounce. The part that has me really confused is when i get on the throttle past 2500rpms (actual RPMS) i can hear a loud noise almost like the truck thinks its over revving and hitting the rev limiter. I pulled codes today and besides having a glow plug problem i got two new turbo codes. Im re tuning it right now just to make sure its not a bad file.

P179A, CAN ECM/Turbocharger Boost Control A Actuator Circuit Malfunction

P2263, Turbo/Super Charger Boost System Performance

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Both codes are for.having a vgt unhooked and having a laggier than.stock turbo.

Sounds like the can sensor is no Bueno.

What's the dashdaq read for rpms

Super08Duty

Reaction score
No I'm not actually hitting 6000+rpms lol. It's operating at normal rpms from the sound of it. Nothing sounds different except when I'm at full throttle. Almost sounds like a bag over the exhaust making a flapping noise. I've had the rpm gauge do something similar to this before where it stuck at like 3000rpms idling. Had it fixed at a local auto shop. I'm guessing it's a sensor. Thought maybe the crank sensor but not sure. I'll have to monitor rpms on the DD tomorrow. I tried getting a video with my phone but you have to be in the truck to hear the noise. No odd noises at idle

Dzchey21

Reaction score
No I'm not actually hitting 6000+rpms lol. It's operating at normal rpms from the sound of it. Nothing sounds different except when I'm at full throttle. Almost sounds like a bag over the exhaust making a flapping noise. I've had the rpm gauge do something similar to this before where it stuck at like 3000rpms idling. Had it fixed at a local auto shop. I'm guessing it's a sensor. Thought maybe the crank sensor but not sure. I'll have to monitor rpms on the DD tomorrow. I tried getting a video with my phone but you have to be in the truck to hear the noise. No odd noises at idle

Your prob right about the computer trying to rev limit. Not sure where the tuner are setting that but it could be possible.

Check the dd and let me know
I'm really.surprised its not.throwing a overspeed code or any code for that matter.

Kinda weird this has happened to you more than once

Super08Duty

Reaction score
Idle: 680rpm

60mph cruising: 1650rpm

75mph cruising: 2050rpm

80mph cruising: 2200rpm

WOT: 3400rpm

Everything seems normal, boost around 42psi and BP in the 50s at WOT

GARRETT@PSM

Reaction score
We can do some tests on the instrument cluster with the ford IDS. Sounds like the cluster.

Latest posts