Sound deadening

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
How much does it really help? I mean, if I were to just lay, let's say, Dynamat on 50% of the truck, would it make much of an impact? Or do you have to go all the way with what I was reading in the sticky above and do 3 layers of different material? Thanks for opinions.

idshred

Reaction score
I used raam audio stuff as well. Huge difference in my obs. You need to stop vibration as well as deaden sound if you want it to be effective.

Reaction score
If you want to stop the racket of a diesel, or as much as possible, you'll have to use mass loaded vinyl, MLV. Dynamat just isn't enough. It's good for giving good doors a great feel and helping keep your bass in the truck, but that's about it.

I've sound -deadened every vehicle I have ever owned since highschool. I've gone as far as doing 95% of the vehicle interior, excluding certain small pieces of the firewall. The results are diminishing returns like anything else.

My current truck has two layers of Dynamat, one layer of closed cell foam, and one layer of MLV, everywhere except the firewall and roof. Would I do it again, idk. Can set my cruise at 85mph and still listen to my music at a moderately low volume, yes. Can I hear my terra grapplers hum at 65mph, not really.

It has quieted the interior enough that I can hear my stock vgt sing at 1000rpm. But it's a lot of work if you want it done right.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
if you wanna do it right, pull the dash and do the firewall right....it will make a huge difference, ive done 2 peterbilt trucks, covered the entire truck, inside the door skins, floor, headliner, firewall, sleeper.... truck has 8" stacks and at 80 mph before it droned horrible in the cab...no its just the whisper of the wind on the firewall....we only used dynamat asphalt mats

not enoughsmoke

Reaction score
I used peal and seal roofing repair (home depot) in my 99 fummins
I only did the front portion of what you see and it made a huge difference felt like it dropped it at least 10 decibels this took 6 rolls($15 an roll) but i put it on overlapping have of each piece to kill sound.
20150517_135423_zpszbrcbf7a.jpg

20150517_163451_zpsffqkoosf.jpg

Reaction score
if you wanna do it right, pull the dash and do the firewall right....it will make a huge difference, ive done 2 peterbilt trucks, covered the entire truck, inside the door skins, floor, headliner, firewall, sleeper.... truck has 8" stacks and at 80 mph before it droned horrible in the cab...no its just the whisper of the wind on the firewall....we only used dynamat asphalt mats

If it's an older truck that has nothing on the firewall, I totoally agree. But for example, a lot of new vehicles already come with a form of MLV and foam padding on the firewalls, my 2010 f250 is one of them. At that point I don't think its worth the effort. It's not only the dash you have to pull, you have to bare the entire firewall. That includes removing heater box and all.

Another thing you can do that works almost as good is stuffing the open spaces in the dash with foam.

Jomax

Reaction score
I used peal and seal roofing repair (home depot) in my 99 fummins
I only did the front portion of what you see and it made a huge difference felt like it dropped it at least 10 decibels this took 6 rolls($15 an roll) but i put it on overlapping have of each piece to kill sound.
20150517_135423_zpszbrcbf7a.jpg

20150517_163451_zpsffqkoosf.jpg

Doesn't that peel and seal have a strong smell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koda22

Reaction score
I keep wanting to do this to my truck.....not so much for the music part, but just to kill a little bit of the diesel sound for those long drives....I'm thinking that if I was to do it I'd only do the floor, and maybe back wall.....if thats what I do should I expect much? Or would o just be wasting time and money?

Reaction score
I keep wanting to do this to my truck.....not so much for the music part, but just to kill a little bit of the diesel sound for those long drives....I'm thinking that if I was to do it I'd only do the floor, and maybe back wall.....if thats what I do should I expect much? Or would o just be wasting time and money?

Doors made the biggest difference IMO. Floor board next.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Does doing this stop sound, no. It doesn't insulate/keep sound out at all. It does eliminate a ton of vibration and that alone is quite a bit of noise in these older trucks. I used fatmat and it looked like my truck interior exploded all over the garage, but It helped a decent amount. We can have a conversation, lugging the motor up a hill, with dual 8" pipes behind us. In this case covering that rear wall helped a ton. Also with the sub behind the rear center console I noticed it sounds deeper now as well.

It does help some on these older trucks, but by no means does it cancel sound.
44c445ec76d8347b2c8725b39d9021d2.jpg

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
Some real nice looking jobs here.

I think the real question to be asked is, considering the amount of work you put in, would you do it again? Were the results worth it.

If I do mine, I'll probably just do the Raam kit as mentioned earlier in the thread. Do all 4 doors, back wall and some floor if I have any left.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I'd do it again on an old truck. I'd probably do more than I did. I ordered 200sq ft and I've still got enough left over to do the doors. I'd definitely get a spare roller tool because the one the supplied me with was junk and didn't make it half way through.

Latest posts

Members online