Spindle seals on 01

mustube

Reaction score
They always tell me it a ford only part but regardless of that they should be able to pull the axle up and see the related parts of which the op could pick the one he needs

I bought a national brand vacuum seal at advance. You have to have a good parts guy to find parts sometimes.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

GreenMachine

Reaction score
I only put ford ones in when I do them. And make sure you set them properly. There is a special tool to seat it in the knuckle. If it doesn't seat properly your ***ked.

Ask me how man wheel bearings is cost me before I realized I hadn't seated the seal properly and water was penetrating from the backside

greenthunder7.3

Reaction score
I didnt realize there was a tool for it i usually just grease it and shove it in where can you get the tool at

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

eng53ine

Reaction score
I bought a national brand vacuum seal at advance. You have to have a good parts guy to find parts sometimes.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Around here those come as easy as finding the parts, but the dealer I normally get parts from is usually priced the same with parts in stock. Knock on wood

02 ccsb, lariat, 7.3 auto, 4x4, 4" duals, 6637,zoodad

Zmann

Reaction score
i am befuddled you guys haven't heard of the tool or even the way to make your own ? specially if you've done that seal

i could only find articles on how to do knuckle seals on the 04- trucks for the longest time

finally a few came out with the newer version like I have the only real difference is my home made seal tool uses 2" pipe/cap/floor flange and yours uses 1-1/2"

you just don't have the benefit of the depth being set using the DIY tool the store bought has a shoulder stop built into it

DIY tool link = http://www.superdutypsd.com/axle_seal_tool.php

Last edited:

eng53ine

Reaction score
i am befuddled you guys haven't heard of the tool or even the way to make your own ? specially if you've done that seal

i could only find articles on how to do knuckle seals on the 04- trucks for the longest time

finally a few came out with the newer version like I have the only real difference is my home made seal tool uses 2" pipe/cap/floor flange and yours uses 1-1/2"

you just don't have the benefit of the depth being set using the DIY tool the store bought has a shoulder stop built into it

DIY tool link = http://www.superdutypsd.com/axle_seal_tool.php

I've heard of it once before, but never seen it or heard an exact clarification of it doing both things.

02 ccsb, lariat, 7.3 auto, 4x4, 4" duals, 6637,zoodad

Zmann

Reaction score
just to clarify were not talking dust seal we are talking the Knuckle /axle stub shaft vacuum seal

GreenMachine

Reaction score
just to clarify were not talking dust seal we are talking the Knuckle /axle stub shaft vacuum seal

Yeah I am talking about the knuckle vacuum seal. I borrowed the proper OTC tools for my 2000 when I did it and I just did my 05 last week and borrowed the appropriate tool. The 05+ is way larger.

Homemade tools blow. I made one and still ***ked up the seal. $70 is cheap insurance against a smoked wheel bearing

Zmann

Reaction score
I used my home made tool it was fine

unless you make it wrong or drive it on crooked by not paying attention I think it's a good deal

it seems to work for most

GreenMachine

Reaction score
I used my home made tool it was fine

unless you make it wrong or drive it on crooked by not paying attention I think it's a good deal

it seems to work for most

Yeah most get it to work for sure. I think I'm just semi special ed when it comes to mechanics.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
LOL

didn't mean to make a point of calling you out on that

Lol I was in the truck before and couldn't elaborate too much.

What I should have said was that I did indeed build the tool out of black steel pipe and a flange, and then ground it down to the proper diameter. I installed both seals in my 2000 with it, just as I would with the regular tool.

I set the seals on the shafts first while they were on the work bench. Then after sliding them back into the tube and knuckle, I would use the tool again to set it properly in the Knuckle.

After I did that work, I was forever Having issues with the needle bearings inside the drivers knuckle. I think I burnt up 3 unitized bearings. Finally borrowed the tool and set it properly, problem fixed.

Fast forward to last year, and my old man did them on his excursion. He is a fanatic about mechanics and is completely anal about his stuff. He put them in 100% correct according to what he told me. Sure enough, few months later he had a bad passenger wheel bearing. He borrowed the OTC tool from the same buddy and set the new one. No issues sense.

The parts to build the tool will cost you some money plus the effort and its still not correct or foolproof for installation. Hence my statement that $70-80 was cheap insurance to set it and forget it lol.

But I still am slightly special in the mechanical field. :morons:

Latest posts

Members online