Sporadic loss of power/stalling

patricku47

Reaction score
So, today on my way into work I was running along the highway at around 70 as normal and suddenly the truck started gradually losing power, then eventually died completely at a traffic light. No smoke, no noises, nothing abnormal just completely random. I cranked on it for a bit with no luck getting it to restart, then after a minute or two of sitting with the key on/engine off, it started, but it was running rough with a cylinder 5 contribution code. I decided I was close enough to work to continue on at this point, so I started watching ICP, IPR and my temperatures closely on my CTS2 in case it did it again. Sure enough, about 10 minutes later it did the exact same thing with no noticeable drop in ICP or IPR and no codes other than the cylinder 5 contribution code. I coasted to a traffic light, let it sit until the light turned green, started it back up and finished my trip to work. Once I got here, I checked all of the connections under hood and saw nothing that looked abnormal or chafed, but I did unplug the #5 injector at idle and saw no change in idle, so I think its safe to say the #5 injector has let go. Could this also cause the random loss of power/stalling? Truck is a 2003 with 216k miles on the original injectors. I have never had a single issue with this thing up until now.

Thanks!

DieselMater86

Reaction score
I want to say it's time for injectors but I would run a scanner on it just in case and as a rule of thumb check ficm sync and voltage and fuel pressure. Just as a few to throw out there before jumping the gun.

patricku47

Reaction score
I want to say it's time for injectors but I would run a scanner on it just in case and as a rule of thumb check ficm sync and voltage and fuel pressure. Just as a few to throw out there before jumping the gun.

I forgot to mention that FICM voltage has stayed right at 48v the whole time. I know injectors wouldn't hurt, and I've been wanting an excuse for a forced upgrade for a while, I just didn't know if one injector going would cause the random complete lost of power like that.

DieselMater86

Reaction score
At first I would have it hooked up to a scanner just to be for sure. But could be hpop issue check your ipr screen for metal shavings. Might even just air test the hpop also. I'm no tech just giving so checks I know other will say.

patricku47

Reaction score
IPR was just replaced and there was no metal on the screen. According to my edge monitor the ICP and IPR are staying normal. The only thing I haven't looked at has been fuel pressure so far.

patricku47

Reaction score
Fuel pressure?

I haven't gone to get a fuel pressure tester yet, but I am thinking that is the culprit now. The truck died on my way home and when I went to restart it acted like it was out of fuel. If you left it in key on engine off for a bit it would restart and idle, but when you touched the pedal it would start acting like it was starved for fuel, then die. I am thinking it may be a weak HFCM possibly, but I am not sure. I was planning on doing an aftermarket pump and a regulated return anyways to support the new injectors, this seems like a fine time to do it....

patricku47

Reaction score
when you pull the filter cap does the bowl fill up with fuel?

also have you check cam and crank sensor sync?

I just pulled the filter a few minutes ago and it does fill up the bowl, but it seemed like it was a little slow to me. Then again, my eyes aren't a great judge of pressure! I have a buddy bringing a scanner by this evening so I can actually try to diag this thing, rather than just working with my CTS.

patricku47

Reaction score
Fuel pressure checked out good. I changed the #5 injector and it seems to be running fine again. I wouldn't have guessed that the injector would have caused those symptoms.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.