Sputtering problem on the highway

greyford1979

Reaction score
For some reason, when I'm driving on the highway above 55mph and I have to let off the pedal, like when an idiot doing 45 merges in front of me, if i slowly get back into it the truck seems to kinda sputter and blows some black smoke. If I get on it a little harder it doesn't do this, it just puffs maybe a tiny bit and speeds right up. Seems to really only do it if I drop below 55. From a dead stop and pretty much all other driving conditions it's fine, no lack of power or anything like that. Tows fine, cruises at speed fine, doesn't do it at lower speeds during city driving.:fustrate: :confused:There's no CEL, last time I had any kind of code was for the map sensor. And all that ended up being was a cut wire issue. I'm stumped because it drives great except for this. No starting issues. no idling issues. Only a tiny bit of blue smoke on start ups now that it's cold in the mornings. Turbo seems to spool fine, gets into the 20s with ease. Thanks for any help fellas. I would get a video but I don't have a fancy GoPro. Guess I could have my brother hang out the window and record it LOL

Edit: Forgot to mention, fuel filter is fine, no clogged in tank screens since I did the prepump filter, fpr is rebuilt, and really seems like it gets plenty of fuel.

Last edited:

greyford1979

Reaction score
I wish I could but unfortunately don't have Auto Enginuity :fustrate: Only person that could do it for me probably won't do it. It took him months just to finally check codes when I found the code for the map sensor. I could build a computer out of leaves by the time he would get around to it LOL I know eventually I really should get AE :doh: Or make my brother buy it for his and borrow it LOL

SPEEDDEMON31176

Reaction score
There is probably a member on here who would help you out with their computer. If I were you I would make a thread about needing someone with a computer to give you a hand. I would do it but it would be 14 hours driving round trip for me.

golfer

Reaction score
For some reason, when I'm driving on the highway above 55mph and I have to let off the pedal, like when an idiot doing 45 merges in front of me, if i slowly get back into it the truck seems to kinda sputter and blows some black smoke. If I get on it a little harder it doesn't do this, it just puffs maybe a tiny bit and speeds right up. Seems to really only do it if I drop below 55. From a dead stop and pretty much all other driving conditions it's fine, no lack of power or anything like that. Tows fine, cruises at speed fine, doesn't do it at lower speeds during city driving.:fustrate: :confused:There's no CEL, last time I had any kind of code was for the map sensor. And all that ended up being was a cut wire issue. I'm stumped because it drives great except for this. No starting issues. no idling issues. Only a tiny bit of blue smoke on start ups now that it's cold in the mornings. Turbo seems to spool fine, gets into the 20s with ease. Thanks for any help fellas. I would get a video but I don't have a fancy GoPro. Guess I could have my brother hang out the window and record it LOL

Edit: Forgot to mention, fuel filter is fine, no clogged in tank screens since I did the prepump filter, fpr is rebuilt, and really seems like it gets plenty of fuel.

check the turbo for endplay...that could account for the smoke..but not a miss/vibration.

what inj, turbo, gearing, tire size...are you running...

some of what you describe sounds similar to a weak injector...

injectors can miss at low ICP & work at high(er) ICP...

lugging an engine, with the TC locked will amplify any engine (injector) imbalance..since the vibration isn't dampened through the TC (fluid coupling when unlocked).

just throwing this out there...

greyford1979

Reaction score
check the turbo for endplay...that could account for the smoke..but not a miss/vibration.

lugging an engine, with the TC locked will amplify any engine (injector) imbalance..since the vibration isn't dampened through the TC (fluid coupling when unlocked).

I checked for end play when I deleted my ebpv recently and it was completely fine and the spins freely.

I have stock injectors and turbo right now, 3.73 gears, and tire size is 285/75R16. And I was afraid some body was gonna mention injectors :doh: LOL Looks like I definitely gotta get it hooked up to a computer. Anything I could do to check for a potentially weak injector till then?

MoonShiner

Reaction score
Look here, I just got up pipe(s) on mine today and sealed all the boost leaks except for a fitting on the waste gate hose that broke.

Anyway, it's still sluggish and misses and sputters at WOT.
I hooked up AE and quickly see that IPC maxed about 1300-1400 :-( with IPR duty cycle at 64.84%
So it looks like I need a new HPOP.

Save some money and get AE, it will let you troubleshoot/replace the cheaper stuff first.

A new pump is much cheaper than a new set of injectors if you don't need them.(although the thought of new injectors is crossing my mind too!:thumbsup:)

bigfords

Reaction score

Golfer, not to throw this thread off, but my truck started doing this exact thing the other day (lugging the engine while TC locked, can feel the engine missing). Is it bad to drive it this way? It only does it when the engine is cold. I would think it was ok as long as it is missing and not over-fueling. I do not have any excess smoke while running.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Look here, I just got up pipe(s) on mine today and sealed all the boost leaks except for a fitting on the waste gate hose that broke.

Anyway, it's still sluggish and misses and sputters at WOT.
I hooked up AE and quickly see that IPC maxed about 1300-1400 :-( with IPR duty cycle at 64.84%
So it looks like I need a new HPOP.

Save some money and get AE, it will let you troubleshoot/replace the cheaper stuff first.

A new pump is much cheaper than a new set of injectors if you don't need them.(although the thought of new injectors is crossing my mind too!:thumbsup:)

Yeah hopefully this week I will get some data. I don't usally just throw parts at vehicles without knowing what's wrong. Although mine is the opposite, sputters with barely any input, at WOT it runs strong. Even if it's not injectors, I will be upgrading them eventually. :thumbsup: My brother just got some and now I have the itch LOL And they are the originals soooo...

greyford1979

Reaction score
For now I got the torque pro app that I can at least get some ICP and IPR numbers that I will post. Also, does using an infrared thermometer to check the temps for each cylinder have any merit? Just wondering because I have read about people trying this so I went ahead and tried it. All cylinders were within a few degrees of each other except for #2. It was close to 30 degrees lower than the rest. :shrug:

greyford1979

Reaction score
Yep, it means the fire is not getting as hot. Now you just have to figure out why not.

OK thanks! I should've checked things out a little better when I changed the glow plugs a few weeks ago but wasn't thinking :doh: LOL In case it might just be something simple like a bad harness. If it is a bad injector, at least it will justify shelling out the money for a whole set of upgraded ones :D

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sounds like the.beginning symptoms of a cps getting ready to poop.

Mine would hiccup or feel like it missed when I needed to accelerate around 45 but I could apply more throttle and it would go.away. Then last Sunday i went into the.coffee shop.with my 3 year old.son left the 2000 running and when we came out, it wasnt running. Cranked it and the tach didnt.move. Bought a cps and it started right up, no more hiccup from 45 to 55.

Just an idea.

TyCorr

Reaction score
And ive never felt an injector "miss" so if its something any different Ive never experienced it.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Hmmm. Just replaced the CPS a few months ago. Actually started doing this before I replaced it, thought maybe it would help solve the problem...well it didn't LOL

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mmmmm? Ok. Just throwing it out there because that is.EXACTLY whatbI had going on. Expected injector problems and it dying and then confirming the cps was toast fixed my problems. There was even a random hiccup in idle that is gone. Every so often it would miss or get out of line on one cylinder and then fine.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Mmmmm? Ok. Just throwing it out there because that is.EXACTLY whatbI had going on. Expected injector problems and it dying and then confirming the cps was toast fixed my problems. There was even a random hiccup in idle that is gone. Every so often it would miss or get out of line on one cylinder and then fine.

Yeah the only time mine has any issue is the exact scenario from my first post. Other than that it starts great, idles fine, accelerates from a dead stop great, cruises fine, and accelerates great at full throttle. Also no CEL when it does this and haven't really noticed any difference in fuel mileage because of loss of power. My brother drove it before he got his injectors recently and said it felt just like his. Both trucks had most of the same mild mods till he got the injectors.

greyford1979

Reaction score
I was finally able to get some numbers today, keeping my fingers crossed that I wouldn't run into the law lol. I did all my runs in PHPs 140 tune. At idle with the engine warm ICP was right around 500 and IPR betwen 11.2-12%. ICP maintained at 2400-2500 during my WOT runs after hitting peak ICP. IPR peaked at 45 %.

Hopefully soon I can figure out whats going on with cylinder #2.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online