Stage 2 Barder 6.0 Review

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
Recently threw a Barder Stage 2 VGT on my late 04. My mods are in my signature.

Previously running white rain from Nate Windrunner which was an amazing tune when I had the stock turbo. I ran the same tune for a few hundred miles and it spooled the turbo quickly as stock, may be a slight variance, but not much. The bottom end power was slightly lower, which I expected, but the mid and top was a real big improvement as it pulled with no signs of stopping. But, didn't take long till it was hitting 1200* on the flat before I got out of it. Later lock up in 5th would help a ton, but tow haul has been getting me through.

But once hitting the mountain, the egt's climbed quickly without giving much throttle, even with the tow haul. and had to back out of it to keep the temps around 1000.

The under boost is where I've been having some trouble with temps, as well as WOT pulls. I know some bigger sticks would help, but for the moment I'm looking to get the most out of this setup via tuning.

Always wanted to try Quick Tricks tuning, so Eric hooked me up with Looney Fuel and I gave her a quick flame test today. The tranny tuning needs a slight adjustment, went into 5th TCL rather quickly, but the EGT stayed around 750*. Which got me closer to my happy zone lol

I noticed this tune does not build boost as fast, although I can hear the intake sucking in large amounts of air (didn't have the MAF PID on my CTS to take note). And seemed to be under powered, but still pulled smoothly. Once getting to a certain throttle percentage, it became a different animal and pulled harder than before. All while the EGT stayed less than 1000*.

After riding back roads for awhile I decided to do a WOT and was really impressed with the wow factor and EGT temps, never got over 1150 and was quickly up to 75 from a 30 mph roll. On a 1.5 mile uphill pull, the temps stayed around 800* at 60 mph, where as the White rain would have up to 1100 in no time at all, even without the TCL locked in.

I have SRL+, 8k Tow and unlimited tow from ******** that I'm waiting for to get revised. The SRL didn't like the new turbo at all. Wouldn't build boost past 20 psi and just seemed dead. Won't be towing until the spring, if even then, so I'm not in a real big hurry on that.

This is my first "big boy upgrade" so I'm learning as I go and wanted to share my experience. I read a lot of people are happy with their stage 2 and stock sticks, which made me choose it over the 1 or 1.5. But never gave a detailed review, sort of like mine.

One final note. The truck has a lot less smoke and you have to really get in it while under boosted to get a nice little puff. It really clears the stock sticks up nicely.

Big shout out to James at Barder, he has been answering my questions via Facebook. Customer service is bar none.

Last edited:

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. Good info. I've been wanting to upgrade to a Barder stage 2 or a KC stage 2. I've been leaning towards Barder but still unsure.
Kelp us updated.
I was unsure myself, both seemed to be well liked, but Barder is a "local business" probably 1.5 hour away so that weighed some influence.

I got some time with looney fuel and it's kept my tempts in check. 55 to 100 pull on a slight grade <1200 on the Pyro. It was still pulling hard but I reached the end of my comfort zone lol I can't say enough about Vivian, she called me yesterday and discussed what the truck was doing and some minor changes and sent me a revision while I talked to her.

I can't stress how much of a difference the tune change made. Long story short, update the tune and have it built around the turbo. Egts, pulling power, and how well it cleared up the stock sticks was amazing compared to my tune for stock sticks and turbo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Sounds like the trans tuning needs work...is the convertor unlocked?

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
Eh I'm not sure. It usually locks in around 50 mph but on this pull I wasn't exactly watching my cts. It's looney fuel and has the light switch effect pretty bad.

Any way of explaining what to look for and how to drive to get the right info?

I've only ran 3 tunes, ghead srl+ and tow windrunner which were all on stock turbo. So I changed essentially two aspects with the turbo, because my custom turbo tune was Looney fuel. Which I never rain with stock turbo.

sootie

Reaction score
The srl has the trans shifting down pat-why not get that tune modified for your turbo?

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
I did get Matt's tunes updated for the turbo, after I got looney fuel wrote and uploaded. I was dealing with a independent vendor to get my tuning updated and he dropped the ball numerous times.

I did run Matt's updated tune but after this huge snowstorm, then went to his tow tune, then uploaded looney fuel again after the snow melted.

Honestly never paid attention to Trans tuning, just my egts. But I do know Matt's and Vivians shifts are easier than the white rain.

On edit: matts tunes were good, progressive power. But the lightswitch effect appealed to me with the stock like power on the bottom end for this ever changing east coast weather.

Last edited:

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
Got a better video and a camera man. I got it to lock in before letting it eat.

I have been reading into the tranny side of tuning and learned how to "trick" the truck to get the converter to lock and unlock, early vs late lock up tunes, etc.
I'm thinking on the first video it wasn't locked in cause it wasn't a wot pull, along with my camera kinda lagged at the end of the clip.

It's still Vivians tune as I wanted to get a good base while I had a few tanks in. This is a little different scenario and rolling start speed. But it's a good review video.
https://vimeo.com/154376617

sootie

Reaction score
Maybe it's just the sound but sure doesn't sound locked to me...

sootie

Reaction score
Not sure what you are referring to. I am talking about having the torque converter locked. You would put the power to the ground better

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
Not sure what you are referring to. I am talking about having the torque converter locked. You would put the power to the ground better
Referring to my cts and the Gear & TCL PID.

Before making the second pull, it was in 5th regular. I left off till it "upshifted" and the lock symbol appeared next to the gear. The rpms didn't shoot up like a normal downshift would, but it just pulled hard. Which I'm assuming is when I was putting my power down.

I know what I mean but my words aren't coming out right lol

sootie

Reaction score
I understand. I just couldn't see your monitor in the vid.

You have the right idea but because you hit the throttle so aggressively, I believe it unlocked. I could be wrong tho

Latest posts

Members online