stage 3 injectors

Gearhead

Reaction score
I'm amazed at the risk someone is willing to take with a stock fuel system. Even the old mini me's would take the pressure down to 15-20 psi on a stock super duty fuel system with just a regulated return with the chip set for full tilt. The injectors are a big investment to risk scoring the plungers and barrels for a few hundred more invested on a fuel system.

spongebob915

Reaction score
I have 220/30 with the stock fuel pump at wot fuel pressure dropped to 20 psi. Put on the walbro and it maintains 70 psi.

moose99psd

Reaction score
i love my RR i got mine ages ago back when strictly diesel was itp, going on 5 years now i think ive had it, very happy with it. also easily allows a fuel pressure guage to be added as well as easily adjustable.. i dont think id ever own a truck without one. its worth the investment imo, as well as fuel pump mods, weather it be a full on aero or fuel lab or a second stocker or an added walbro. all just building blocks for a happy engine.

TARM

Reaction score
The stock pump may or may not keep up depending on what the tune is calling for.

One thing for sure the way the dead head goes you need to do the RR on the fuel system minimum and that is on your list. You can then accurately see if you are needing more fuel flow. Anything more than a couple psi drop under long fuel throttle runs IMO you should be thinking about upgrading. Off the top of my head, the closer you are to using the full capacity of your injectors the more critical any drop in pressure is IMO.

You also need the pickup done as there are a number of issues even with totally stock trucks with the pickup design pulling air into the system. SO that is another thing you really should do and is only what $50 .

The reason so many do the rest of the system is frankly there just is not that much left and you are already down under there tearing into everything. Go to dual Bosch or a single of the perf bosch or walbro. I prefer the 044bosch over the walbro given our pressure levels. Or you can step up to a Fuellab or Areo. You can make it for small or large amount of $$ depending how you chose to go. About $150-$200 you can have the rest of that fuel system done with no question of having enough fuel and much much better filtering than that fuel bowl gives.

If you have any plans for going up in power I would go to 200% now so you are only paying the cost and time once. You can easily with todays tuning put 200% in a stock truck and run them the same as stock power lower or higher. Not really "detuning" a injector as much as reducing its injection volume.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Studded 7.3L with 250/200 FFD injectors, CPR fuel system, and stock Fuel Pump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phR9EAgDZUI

Fuel pressure regulator set at 68 PSI. As the run starts, you can see that the fuel pressure starts to fluctuate badly and by 2200-2400 RPM the needle drops to 25-28 PSI. Definitely not what we're looking for. Have two different fuel pumps coming tomorrow... the Walbro and a "stock" type fuel pump that supposedly flows more than stock. I don't have any specific numbers yet but the one advantage is that it is in the stock pump frame so it is a direct bolt-in replacement for the stock pump.

We'll see what happens when the pumps arrive and I'll post new videos.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
Thanks, I haven't seen any direct bolt in aftermarket fuel pumps yet, but I like where your going with it. What did it dyno with the setup that's on there

Bigsexy

Reaction score
Id be pretty happy with those numbers, is that with live tuning or your regular custom tunes? I'm really pushing tords 200% nozzles It just sucks not having a whole lot of options to work with in the form of live tuning. You all sell the direct bolt in fuel pumps, id like to run a similar setup having 2 just in guess one fails. My stock ones never failed me but when your pushing the limits of something you nevr know how long it will last.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
We actually started out at around 510 HP and 1040 TQ with the out of the box tuning. With some work we were able to achieve the current numbers.

What was really interesting was that we started out at over 3.5 ms pulsewidth and worked our way down to only 2.7 ms pulsewidth, which not only helped improve power but also stabilized the ICP and IPR. When the pulsewidth was over 3.0 ms, we were able to maintain ICP but the IPR was cresting 80%. With the pulsewidth under 3.0 ms, IPR is stable at 45% with ICP at 3100 PSI. It's nice to be able to pull solid. detailed datalogs and see where even minor changes can really help out. I will say that the biggest advantage to live tuning is the ability to improve the idle and low speed drivability. This is where live tuning really shines.

We're gonna see just how well the direct bolt in pumps work, although the Walbro (with the right fittings) is also pretty much a direct bolt in.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
Let me know how the setup works for you. Hey you by chance plan on coming out to Colorado in the near future. I might need some live tuning done

Bigsexy

Reaction score
Looks like I will be going with a set of stage 2s. I put the set in a customers truck about 7 months ago and now he wants stage 3s. So I'm getting his for the cost of putting his new ones in so I will only have about 500bucks worth of time in. I am however going to start building my truck to support bigger injectors down the road. Thanks for all the info as it will help me when building my customers truck in the future. After speaking with him he I will also be putting a regulated return in with the injectors and the rest will follow soon after

TARM

Reaction score
Congrats. Its hard to beat a deal like that. A bit of sweat cost and you have a set of sticks. Nice score.

Latest posts

Members online