STAGE 3 TRANS REBUILD NOT RIGHT

ricg

Reaction score
hey guys need some help.. I just got my 5r rebuilt with stage 3 kit from patc at a local well know ford mechanic and convertor rebuilt by Circle D. When I installed it and ran it for the first day it ran strong. when I went to drive it to work thee next day it had a bad slip when going 3-4 gear. somethimes it would bang in and out then finally grab a gear and go.. I took it back in and told him what was going on and he said he probally needed to replace the drum and forward clutches (thought this was all included.) anyway he had it for a few days and I got it back. went for a drive the next day and its doing the same thing.. he said he installed new solenoids, shift kit and new clutches. im running just the 300hd, head studs, intake, and cold side pipe as far as mods go.. Im at a lost here.. I even removed my tune and reinstalled it.. Anybody have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks

Reaction score
At this point it could be anything. The only way to really see what's going on is take it to a place that does 5r's and have them tear it down and look at it. He could have messed up the stack or not installed a machined plate or who knows what else. I'm not familiar with patc or what they actually include besides just replacing the stock clutches.

Sorry to say but it's either keep taking it back to the same guy and hopefully he will get it right or take it somewhere new.

swinky

Reaction score
They shift 3-5 not 3-4. If you're having issues on that shift and that shift only it's acting like a direct clutch/solenoid issue. How does it act when going from drive to reverse and reverse to drive?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ricg

Reaction score
the first time I got I back the shift from drive to reverse was a long wait. when I got it back the second time the wait was gone.. it slips right into reverse from any gear. he said it was the direct clutch and drum and he said he replaced them. he said it has all new solenoid already.

3brorce

Reaction score
PATC stage3. "Let us turn your 5R110W transmission into a much stronger transmission. This transmission comes with a Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit for better shifts. Extra Alto Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels are added to the forward and direct clutch sets for more holding power. The other clutch sets are Alto Red Eagle lining. An updated Low / Reverse one way clutch snap ring and other updates are installed. This package deal comes with a high performance / heavy duty Triple Clutch torque converter. This converter is a multi disk design with three friction surfaces and has much more holding power. Other upgrades include a hardened billet steel input shaft, valve body pressure switch O-ring end plugs and a free PATC T-shirt. Here's the bottom line, if you have a programmer, power adders or tow heavy loads you must have a performance / heavy duty transmission and torque converter for your transmission to last. This transmission is good for towing, motor homes, snow plowing, 4WD, high performance and others."

08SUPERKING

Reaction score
That is good info on them and good to know that its only good for towing and higher
horse power trucks...

ricg

Reaction score
Well Ive have the trans tore down 3 times with new parts since its been rebuilt and still same problems. Could the transgo hd2 kit have anything to do with it?

range91

Reaction score
Red eagle clutches suck IMO. They are to hard and will glaze causing problems especially on a trans that is adaptive. All it takes is a few flair shift which 5r's will do every once in a while and he clutches are glazed. I have had horrible luck with red eagle will never use them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricg

Reaction score
I've heard good and bad about them. But being all new clutches it shouldn't have this problem. It almost feels like its not holding pressure.

ricg

Reaction score
Well now he is saying it might be a problem with the tuning.. I don't understand. he has pulled it out a total of 3 times and the I keep getting it back with the same problem. today it got stuck in 4th and wouldn't come out until I turned it off and on again.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I can tell you right now its not Matts tuning, its more the fact he has no idea what he is doing. When you start blaming other things on other people than you know you have issues.

Latest posts

Members online