Stage II Injector Flow Rate Question

mod700rmk

Reaction score
I am trying to diagnose why my truck seems a little low on power lately and am looking at the engine and all of its supporting components for answers.

As' you'll see in my signature, I am running a set of Dynomite Diesel Stage II injectors that are supposed to put out about 75hp.(+/- depending on mods). I have uploaded two dyno sheets. the Stage 1 sheets is my truck with the intake, exhaust, programmer and turbo mods listed in the signature. The Stage II sheet is with the addition of the injectors, notice I only picked up 40hp from the Stage II sticks. Does this seem right?

I have decided to have a custom tune written to adjust for the injectors and see if that helps, but need to flow specs for the Dynomite Diesel Stage II injectors for PHP to write the tune. I called Dynomite the other day and was unable to get the answer I was looking for. I was told the injectors are 26lpm. I asked for the cc/### and was told by Dynomite that they didn't list their injectors that way. Anybody know what these injectors flow in the more common rating style?

I've got a list of other mods I would like to do that I'll cover in a future post if I can get the injector/custom tune issue sorted out; bigger turbo, RR, pre pump air filter and etc.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Dyno - Stage 1.pdf
    598 KB · Views: 54
  • Dyno - Stage 2.pdf
    572.6 KB · Views: 56

mod700rmk

Reaction score
i made that much power with stock injectors and a good hpop

Which HPOP are you running? That is another area I am looking to upgrade.

And I guess one other thing that I should mention is that the truck will not push over 18psi of boost!

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Have you checked for exhaust or boost leaks? Just a chip will nearly double that.

Start simple. Check for air leaks, check your fuel pressure, HPOP pressure or duty cycle, etc.. Make a check list of all the simple stuff. You may have a free or cheap fix and right now you're only assuming it's a $900-$1800 issue.

Use the search feature and look for "low boost" or "low or no power". The answers are probably already here, use the search function and you'll gain a lot more knowledge for future use.

Last edited:

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
If they can't give u a flow rate or spec of cc/size nozzles then they don't need to be selling 7.3 injectors and I would also guess they font have a flow bench and have never been flow checked

ghohouston

Reaction score
If they can't give u a flow rate or spec of cc/size nozzles then they don't need to be selling 7.3 injectors and I would also guess they font have a flow bench and have never been flow checked

Exactly! O.p., look on your firewall for soot, check your intercooler boots for cracks/tears, etc...

mandkole

Reaction score
A few years ago (~2007), DDP was known for making a decent, high quality performance injector. Their EH nozzles were on the leading edge and sourced by a few builders. (I thought they had gone through some business/company issues and dropped away from a lot of interweb promotion.) I had almost bought a set of their injectors. Back then, the stage 2 is a typical nozzled stage 1 A code injector (~170cc?).

The only way to know for sure is to have them put on a bench.

Sounds like you are concerned about what it shows on a dyno. Knowing that a dyno is just a tool, Im seeing a 13% improvement from a stage 1 to a stage 2. Specific numbers aside, that seems pretty typical. My stage 1s ran 335 a fairly stock OBS, so 13% is 378'ish for a stage 2 and I would have been happy with that.

As others have said, if you are concerned that its not running where it should be, then you need to do some datalogging on the major functions, verify no pressure leaks, etc. Pull the injectors and take them to a shop.

mod700rmk

Reaction score
Thanks everybody, I've been a little suspect of my boots, they appear to be original equipment (I got the truck used, so don't know for sure) and although I try and keep the engine compartment clean of road grime and oil, they still look pretty old.

When I first got the injectors put into the truck, I questioned DD about the lower hp numbers and their reply was that they were just new and tight and that I needed to drive the truck a while and they would loosen up. So I have about 10,000 miles on them now and the power seems to be slowly decreasing, just based on SOTP. When I called DD the other day, they suggested I replace the fuel pump with a FASS 150, but I think that is unnecessary at this point. I know that there was some issues with the ownership that I have heard affected the quality of the business and they ended up loosing quite a few employees.

The only codes I am showing are for the MAIH and the EPBV. I've cleaned the tube/bracket and will replace the EBPV sensor this afternoon. The MAIH I am going to delete as I keep the trucked plugged in during the winter.

Any suggestions on how to check HPOP pressure as was suggested above? I'll do some looking on the forum to see what I can find also.

Reaction score
The only way to tell, if they won't divulge the info, would be to test them in a bench. I'd be more than happy to do this for you. We would only need one of the injectors. Did they tell you if they were single or split shot? Did you have to have any custom tuning to run them? I have a pretty good idea what they are if they're anything like the Industrial Injection Stage 2's I've seen. Most are split shot with an 80% nozzle.

mod700rmk

Reaction score
They are split shot injectors, I don't have any custom tuning at this point, just the canned tunes from PHP in the Gryphon: (Tow 60hp, Race 80hp, Extreme 100hp) I may take you up on the flow test UNLIMITED_DIESEL.I want to see if I can eliminate the simple things first.... Is there one bank of injectors that is easier to get at than the other? I've never taken mine out myself before.

I just went out and swapped out my EBPV sensor and fuel filter. I took a couple of photos of some of my boots. is the oil on the tubes and the staining on the spider a sign that those boots are leaking? Seems to me it is.
Also, the shot of the inside of the fuel bowl is showing a lot of "grime". Is there a good way to clean this out?

Swapping out the EBPV sensor cleared up a couple of my codes, but I am still getting a P0475 so I'll have to look into what that is. Has something to do with the EPR circuit I think.

Attachments

• Boots01.JPG
    Boots01.JPG
    526.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Boots02.JPG
    Boots02.JPG
    495.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Boots03.JPG
    Boots03.JPG
    515.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Fuel Bowl.JPG
    Fuel Bowl.JPG
    425.7 KB · Views: 33

ghohouston

Reaction score
Oily boots are from your crank case being vented back into your intake. The grime in your fuel bowl can be from crap in your fuel tank. It just develops over time. I would pull the bowl, and give it a good bath to get it cleaned well and assure no crap goes to your fuel lines and into your injectors

Latest posts

Members online