Stainless steel injector cups

ghohouston

Reaction score
From what I got from what the guy in the video was saying that the tool is needed to roll it into a serrated section the cup goes into the head.
While the 7.3 head has no serrated section in the head, International chose to use brass for that engine.
Their are thermal dynamic differences between brass and stainless. How much that played into their decision, I do not know. What I do know with regards to something that could dramatically negatively effect thermal dynamics is; on Riff Raff’s ( quite the name) website states that it is thicker in a section and makes it stronger. That’s a real issue. They also push their tool kit stating the traditional tap style removal tool sends brass shavings down into the cylinders. If you drop a dime down into the cup before using a tap type removal tool, that DOES NOT HAPPEN.
I’ve come behind a lot of DIYers that did cups with Riff Raff removal installation tools. The crank down process did not always completely seat the cup as it is hard to tell if it’s completely seated even when using a torque wrench as drag going in will vary with cups and bores. If you use the Rosewood Style driver, you hear and feel the thud of the cup bottoming out
I've only ever used the Rosewood style and definitely agree you can hear and feel the cups bottom out. And 100% on the dime trick.

Reaction score
Yep! The thud is your friend!!!
Riff Raff….., Knows full well how to keep the tap cuttings out of the cylinder or certainly should. It doesn’t even rise to basic mechanical knowledge level 101. 17 year old diesel tech intern knows that! but they chose to write that. ( starting to get they full picture yet? ).

The “ THUD RULE “ applies to installing the injectors. Start the injector retaining plate on the fixed stud first. Then use a rubber covered handle-shorted handled maul to prevent slippage. Put the end of the handle on the end of the injector retaining plate that gets tightened down. Push down on head of short handled maul. Feel and hear that thud that is your friend. Then thread in and torque the bolt. Don’t be beating or even pushing on the solenoid! Don’t use the crankdown method! You have a high likelihood of reaching desired torque measurement before that injector is fully seated in the cup.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
That is a lot of miles in a relatively short amount of time. Have you always driven that many miles? Did you buy the truck when it was new? How many miles are on it now?
I have 502,000 miles on my truck. Bought it in 2011 with 24,000 on it. The last two years or so, I’ve put a little over 215,000 on it. Been a road warrior since 2020 COVID. That’s when the new motor went in with the RR stainless cups.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.
Why did you need an engine replacement? Was it explained to you as to why? How many miles were on it at that point? Was this a “ New To You Engine”? It was not new, as there have only been rebuilds available. Contract rebuilders do not use those cups. Did the rebuilder of that engine state, It’s past history, it’s found condition upon tear down, show related photos of. Does that shop have decades of reputable business? In the shop, are there tons of aftermarket company stickers plastered everywhere? Was it explained to you as to the wisdom for selecting those cups?
I am not being confrontational. I am only asking pertinent questions.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
It was a completely built long block by a VERY reputable build shop. I asked said shop to not install the cups as I had my own. I did my own installation of the RR cups based on reviews that I had read. I used the RR cup tool which I personally own. And they worked beautifully for me since.
I installed a new motor because my other had low compression on 2 cylinders. It had a ton of miles towing at over 450whp. It earned its keep as is my current motor.

Last edited:

hucorey

Reaction score
I've used the OTC, RR, and Rosewood cup tools. I like the Rosewood tool the best mainly because I can get them pulled and installed much faster vs the other two. Like Nick said, drop a dime, squirt of grease on the flutes of the tap, or a piece of a shop towel in the bottom of the cup to keep the shavings from going into the cylinder.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

13fist

Reaction score
Trigger warning.
triggerwarning.jpg

Going to be a couple three weeks before this build is up and running.
Cups installed fine, seated with a solid hit. I didn't see any need for them to be rolled in as the design appears to lock them in place far better than the traditional brass cups. Since these cups are machined parts rather than sheet metal stampings, they have a good bit of spring back against the id of the bore. I'll update if any problems come up, but after dealing with them first hand I don't have any reason at this point to expect any issues.

13fist

Reaction score
It's going very differently than originally planned. I'll update as things progress.
I do miss my old bronco. I have strong feelings that if I come across a full size bronco for the right price that is what I'll be doing with this engine.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It's going very differently than originally planned. I'll update as things progress.
I do miss my old bronco. I have strong feelings that if I come across a full size bronco for the right price that is what I'll be doing with this engine.
Old bronco? Did you have a 7.3 in that as well?

13fist

Reaction score
I had a Bronco years ago and was shopping around for a donor truck either 12v or 7.3 to do the swap when I found my excursion. It was while I was bringing the Ex home I started to realize I wouldn't be keeping the Bronco. My excursion is the centurion I never got to have, and now that it is pretty much done, some interior work and paint & body are all that's left, I'm itching for a project to keep me entertained.
Going back to my original plan of a diesel swapped Bronco is back on the radar. A lifted Lincoln Mark IV monster car is on that list too so nothing is set in stone just yet. I had even considered putting a 7.3 in a dodge pickup, just for the hilarity of it.
In the end, this one is just all about having fun and enjoying a bit of absurdity.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Trigger warning.
View attachment 186945

Going to be a couple three weeks before this build is up and running.
Cups installed fine, seated with a solid hit. I didn't see any need for them to be rolled in as the design appears to lock them in place far better than the traditional brass cups. Since these cups are machined parts rather than sheet metal stampings, they have a good bit of spring back against the id of the bore. I'll update if any problems come up, but after dealing with them first hand I don't have any reason at this point to expect any issues.
Those still get installed with loctite?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
It's 2023 and we're being taught how to install 7.3 injectors :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Members online