Start, stall, start, stall, start, stall, start

Powerstroked

Reaction score
So I have seen this post on more forums than I care to count and none lead to an actual repair. This morning on the way to work my truck was running great and just randomly stalled. I pulled over to the side of the interstate and it started right up and ran great again. About 2 miles down the road it again stalled, this time it would start fine but stall almost immediately, it did this three times until it would remain running. After it started it ran with no problems until I got to work and shut it down. Details on the trouble shooting below.

58v swamps FICM-all voltages check good
ICP-new
Fuel Pressure on gauge 60 PSI, flowing from airdog with new filters and a sump.
No Lights or Codes.

When the truck runs there is no smoke or hesitation
When the truck starts and stalls there is no smoke or hesitations, just shuts off like a key off shut down. http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/images/smilies/cursing.gif

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
cmp, or crank sensor.

problem is, your going to need a diagnostic machine and data logg while its happening.

everyone here can guess till your bank account is empty, and your fed up.

Rob D

Reaction score
I am sure you already ruled out fuel / filters gelled - although I guess if your maintaining pressure that cancels it out

Mdub707

Reaction score
I am sure you already ruled out fuel / filters gelled - although I guess if your maintaining pressure that cancels it out

If that was the case it wouldn't shut off like you turned the key. On every 6.0 I've had it happen to, it will always start and idle just fine, but when you drop it in gear and take off (more load needs more fuel) you can watch fuel pressure plummet, truck starts running really rough and loses all power. Not like an instant off. It will typically re-start and run rough until it builds a little pressure back up, but just doesn't have the volume of fuel to drive it down the road.

Unfortunately Kyle is right, you really need to get a scanner on this and watch what is going on. I would be watching SYNC and FICM SYNC on this one.

This article has a really good explanation of your CMP, CKP, FICM, SYNC, and FICM SYNC operations and what it needs to run/drive.

http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/subsites/diag/6.0L_FICM_Guide.pdf

Powerstroked

Reaction score
I appreciate all the post thus far, I do put an anti-gel additive during each fill up, The fuel pressure does not falter at all during the start stop process. It is like a key off scenario... everything stays on except the beast under the hood.

Powerstroked

Reaction score
Any info on cam and crank sensor replacement? I might just jump on this as it seems logical, I have no access to a scan tool and I don't trust the local Ford dealer. Perhaps someone can suggest a good place near the Wilkes barre area of PA, just moved here.

Powerstroked

Reaction score
So I think I might have this figured out. I found the adapter for my coolant bypass filter leaking near the ICP connector. I replaced the ICP two weeks ago, but if I disconnect the ICP it starts and does not die. I have never replaced the connector, but it seems I may have a problem here.....or a bad replacement ICP. I have ordered the new connector, in the mean time I have the truck stuck at work. How far can I drive with the ICP unplugged? I have an 18 mile drive home with a combination of highway and mountain roads. I hate to do the connector replacement in the parking lot at work.

6ohstroker

Reaction score
I don't think it will hurt anything to run it unplugged. It'll just run on a default pressure, won't run to full potential, but its better than it dying every couple miles.

webb06

Reaction score
You can drive with it unplugged no problem. Might also check the crank and can sensor pigtails. Wiggle each while running and see if it affects the idle. We had a truck in the shop last week that would stumble every now and then while driving. Ended up being the cam sensor pigtail. Located on the drivers side front of engine

Csilva187

Reaction score
My buddy replaced sensors etc when he had similar issues. Ended up the harness was corroded naturally with the liquid corrosion we get here.

Mdub707

Reaction score
If it runs fine with the ICP unplugged it sounds like that's your issue. Unplugging it just defaults ICP desired to 2000psi. So it will run, but it will be tough maintaining any sort of highway type cruising speed LOL It's built that way to get you off of the road. Wont hurt anything driving it like that, but you wont be setting any speed records.

Powerstroked

Reaction score
I drove it home tonight, ICP unplugged was doing 65-70 with no issues. CEL is on, I am sure that has something to do with the ICP. I have a harness in route, so lets hope this is the last of my recent bad luck with this truck.

Latest posts

Members online