Starter Recomendations

ja_cain

Reaction score
Probably replacing the brushes and cleaning up the surfaces. That alone will make a huge difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I'm almost thinking about trying to do it myself. I have a lathe that I can use to turn the commutator. If only I could source a solenoid that was sealed with an inert gas. I bet that's where a lot of the problems are.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Reaction score
Hardest part of the whole thing is silver solder for the brushes. A good spot welder would work perfectly. A soldering iron won't cut it. Lol
Don't even need a lathe for the commutator, but would be easier to have it held and spinning. Only need to use a light sand paper to get it back to bare copper.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Hardest part of the whole thing is silver solder for the brushes. A good spot welder would work perfectly. A soldering iron won't cut it. Lol
Don't even need a lathe for the commutator, but would be easier to have it held and spinning. Only need to use a light sand paper to get it back to bare copper.

I have a jewelers torch I silver solder small stuff with all the time. Thats a good idea about just using sandpaper/emory cloth. I'm sure it would be just fine as long as you are able to remove all of the grit.

79jasper

Reaction score
Ah, that'd probably work fine.
I wish they had the set screw like electric motors have.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Ah, that'd probably work fine.
I wish they had the set screw like electric motors have.

I think I'll tear it down sometime this week and get some picks. I'm interested to see how everything looks.

79jasper

Reaction score
They're pretty simple.
Get gunked up inside.
I have pics from when I rebuilt mine. Worked great for awhile, then I couldn't get a Solenoid to work right on it. The new one was from China.

mandkole

Reaction score
is the shaft small enough that you could just chuck it up in a drill press and run some emery cloth over the commutator?

ja_cain

Reaction score
I'm thinking that using an abrasive may not be a good idea on a soft metal like copper. Seems like the particles might get imbeded and cause premature brush wear. What do you guys think? I think turning is the way to go.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.