Starting a "budget" build

msmith

Reaction score
OK, I know that's an oxymoron but you get the drift.

It's the '07 in my sig. She is almost touching 99k on the ticker and...knock on wood, she hasn't had anything major go wrong. I should leave well enough alone.

I have retired the girl from DD to Sunday goin' to meetin' and towing. I have a 31 foot tt, a 16' flatbed, a 16 stock trailer and a 12k dump trailer. I am wanting to make her more of a tow monster than what she already is, and have some guts too for when the dodge boys show up at church, lol.

Right now I am gathering up the usual array of parts. egr delete, head studs, and all of the associated gaskets, hardware, and up graded parts to go along. My mileage has been suffering for some time now (has dropped 3-4 mpg), probably a couple of years at least so I am going to do what I can with the tunes and ficm tuning but if my heads prove to be OK, I am thinking of sending the sticks to Warren to have them massaged.

My questions are; Should I go with the 155/30s or would the money be better spent on 155/stock with the upgraded solenoid? Which will yield the best power, mileage, and egts? Will the stock compressor be enough? If not, would a Wicked Wheel or PDR billet wheel be enough to lower egts and clean them up or would I be better served to save up for a Powermax, Barder, or KC turbo?

I am hoping to get the ball rolling this month but if I can't get it done in an expeditious manner it may have to wait til fall. Anyway, I am trying to get a plan together and not go at it half...baked we'll say.

Thanks in advance,

Mike aka Lineman

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Id say stick with 155/stock and upgrade to a 63.5mm compressor. I know several who have used this same combo in their tow pigs and loved it. Towed like a beast and would roll out on a race tune. Very tunable, low EGT's and easy to drive, but plenty of power and torque at the ready.

If you'd like some info on the new Vision Diesel Performance 63.5mm turbo, shoot me a PM.

Matt

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I'm just throwing Ideas out, but: 155/30s, Barder stg2(or comparable) and a ported intake seems like a pretty goof combo.

I would agree. The Stage 2's are awesome turbos, I love mine. It screams up top and I'm on stock injectors and a stock intake ( I am running a dual nozzle water/meth system though) I will say that my Stage 1 towed easier. The Stage 1 is just a little monster with some weight behind it. The Stage 2 is a great street turbo, but IMHO the S1 towed easier.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
My thinking was that while the stg1 would be best, the stg 2 would work fine w/ lighter/less often towing, but I see what you're saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
My thinking was that while the stg1 would be best, the stg 2 would work fine w/ lighter/less often towing, but I see what you're saying.

You're completely correct. Ived run both and towed my regular 14k with both. The Stage 1 was better in my opinion. The S2 stays on the truck though. I'm gonna bump up to some 175's or 190's this summer hopefully. Then we'll be cooking with crisco.

msmith

Reaction score
Thanks for helping me spend my money guys! This is good. It's got my cogs turning. What I'd really like is a "tweener" Something between towing and performance but I sometimes come off the scales at 21k - 22k and have an 8 percent grade to pull afterwards. This doesn't happen often though. Mostly it's my tt in the WV mountains or the stock trailer. We're lookin' at about 7 or 8k for both of them.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
You're completely correct. Ived run both and towed my regular 14k with both. The Stage 1 was better in my opinion. The S2 stays on the truck though. I'm gonna bump up to some 175's or 190's this summer hopefully. Then we'll be cooking with crisco.

Can we fry some chicken!? Lol

I'm torn between going w/ a stg2 or 3 w/ 190s. I think I'll decide by what the best deal in the classifieds is lol. But I'm at 50' above sea level, and don't tow, so it may be a nonVGT…

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Thanks for helping me spend my money guys! This is good. It's got my cogs turning. What I'd really like is a "tweener" Something between towing and performance but I sometimes come off the scales at 21k - 22k and have an 8 percent grade to pull afterwards. This doesn't happen often though. Mostly it's my tt in the WV mountains or the stock trailer. We're lookin' at about 7 or 8k for both of them.

The S2's offer great performance too, don't get me wrong. The S2's pull harder mid range and up top. If I were building a street toy/ tow pig, Id stick with the Stage 1. That's just my opinion from running both in tow as well performance applications. I'm still gonna tow with mine, but I've also got a built trans. A Stage 2 and 175's would put some nails in the coffin of a stock 5R110.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Isn't there a 1.5 harder?

Yes and Vision offers the same option. Its a 10 blade turbine with the 63.5 compressor. Basically a billet PowerMax. I still think the S1 is better for any real towing.

msmith

Reaction score
PM sent Matt.

Thanks for the info guys! Got lots to mull over. Any way you slice it, the wife is going to have a cow, lol, although she is getting used to the brown truck bringing parts.

When I say that I come off the scales weighing 20 - 22K, that is gross and sometimes the loader operator gets a little ambitious. My normal tow weights are 7k - 12k and like I mentioned, it's in two lane twisted, hilly roads and some in the mountains.

So far the plan is...bullet proof, stage 1 compressor, 155/stock injectors, ficm & ecm tuning from PHP. Then be easy on 'Ol Verna til I can get some tranny mods lined up.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
PM sent Matt.

Thanks for the info guys! Got lots to mull over. Any way you slice it, the wife is going to have a cow, lol, although she is getting used to the brown truck bringing parts.

When I say that I come off the scales weighing 20 - 22K, that is gross and sometimes the loader operator gets a little ambitious. My normal tow weights are 7k - 12k and like I mentioned, it's in two lane twisted, hilly roads and some in the mountains.

So far the plan is...bullet proof, stage 1 compressor, 155/stock injectors, ficm & ecm tuning from PHP. Then be easy on 'Ol Verna til I can get some tranny mods lined up.

PM returned. From the looks of this post, you are heading in a great direction for a very stout and reliable tow pig/daily driver. Just give me a call and I'll give you an overview of my experiences with all of these turbos.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
These guys are going to set you up for a permanent smile.

Matt will get you set on a turbo and Rykan will make sure your happy with your injectors!

For what it's worth we are installing holders injectors in our test truck. They will be ran at 175/30 for a couple months then sent back to build for some power. Matched with one of our turbos we have very high expectations for these combos

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
It was great talking to you Mike. Let me know when you're ready and please give Rykan a call about the injectors. He'll set you up with a top notch set of injectors and excellent service as well. His number is (304) 572-2311.

Sent while driving, drinking coffee and threatening to kill people in traffic.

Latest posts

Members online