Steering Box Swap

doctorsmack03

Reaction score
I have a 1997 CCLB 4x4 7.3 with the 2005 suspension swap on it. My factory steering box has a crack in the pitman shaft. I coincidentally have a 2003 6.0 4x4 Excursion steering box in the garage that I figured I would swap in. I know I will need a new pitman arm, but from what I remember reading a while back I need to convert one of my power steering hose fittings. Does anybody have any more info on the swap?
Thanks

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
We have an 05 steering box in my buddy's 93 w/ 05 suspension. Pretty much bolts right up. Truck isn't done yet, so couldn't tell you on the lines or anything. Plus it's a fummins so its way different anyways

morefuel

Reaction score
You either need custom lines or different ends put on the stock ones. The return line I just had a flare put on the hard line out of the box and slipped the hose from the old line over. The pressure line I had another piece of line brazed on with the proper fitting from the 05 lines.
Edit. Just saw that was an 03 box. I have an 05 box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
I've done the swap with an 05 box. Much easier due to the fittings needed to do it. I also had an 02 box but decided to go to the 05 box. I can post pics of the lines tomorrow.

morefuel

Reaction score
Not real sure what fittings ford uses. The hydraulic shop had me get the 05 lines for them to use the fittings from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
You can use a stock SD hose that you re-bend to make work. The return hose I made from one of the obs fittings push loc and clamps. I will try to get some pics for ya

As for advantages, the pitman is longer and straighter to help with steering angles (bump steer) and more turning radius. The box also has a different steering ratio. The obs box is like a 12-1 ratio while the SD box is like 16-1. Don't quote me on the ratios tho, it's been a while. And that's what my research shows, never taken one apart to prove it.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
First drill out the frame to 9/16" if my mind serves me
IMG_0355_zpsztkmgl53.jpg

Comparing bolts.
IMG_0356_zpsauouxs20.jpg

Bought this high pressure line from NAPA
IMG_0364_zpssvbzx7g4.jpg

Stuck it in my tubing bender just as you see on the box side
IMG_0359_zpsc8roa2qh.jpg

And bent straight and then added another 45* to it the other way, carefully.... and made it look like this
IMG_0360_zpsi9snyqv4.png

Either took this off the SD box or of the OBS box, I don't remember. I cut it down, gave it some more beND
IMG_0362_zpsz9yffnzz.jpg

Some push-loc and double clamps for the return down to the factory "cooler". Never had any issues but I do plan to change it in a later date.......maybe
IMG_0363_zpsko6kwqvb.jpg

Last edited:

97strokerHD

Reaction score
Old thread but have a few questions. I've put three steering boxes in my 97 in the last two years. Want to swap in a redhead but don't have the money for it right now. Would swapping a super duty box in be worth it and what would i gain from it? My steering parts keep wearing out because my tie rod rolls pretty bad. Usually those go first, then the balljoints, and then when i go to change it all I find out the steering box has play like the sector shaft bearings are wiped. Bought a machined plastic washer from ruffstuff specialties that goes in between my tie rod and drag link and is supposed to help with or eliminate most of the tie rod roll. Any help or input is greatly appreciated.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
The SD box swap will not work for you because your tie rod tapers are smaller then the ones in the SD pitman. Also the OBS pitman will not install on the SD box. Read head or PSE? Are about your 2 options for steering gear.

Fiveohmatt

Reaction score
when swapping to the 05 box did you have any clearance issues? with the coolant hoses? I had another guy on a different forum say he had to cut down a coolant hose outlet? But looking at the boxes side by side they look similar to me.

m j

Reaction score
there is more then one 'super duty' pitman arm. there is a large spline and a smaller spline that swaps with most common boxes. I use the smaller one in steering swaps as it is one of the longest and flattest pitmans available
easiest way to ID them is the large spline has three key splines the swapable one has 4

Latest posts

Members online