Steering box

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Where the factory box uses a bushing there redhead presses an actual bearing in there. Thus it doesnt die like the factory box does. Thats also why it doesnt bind up like the factory setup sitting still and trying to turn the wheel.

Zmann

Reaction score
if there was only room for a bushing i don't see how they fit a bearing ?
I have seen machining out and installing needle bearings mentioned on their site in a generic statement but never seen any evidence of it being done on our boxes for sure

you ?

or just me beig to skeptical LOL

Last edited:

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The person I talked to on the phone when I ordered mine claimed thats what was done. The box turns so much smoother than stock which leads me to believe them.

Am I going to rip it apart to find out? No.

At least not till it fails :)

Once you drive one with one of these boxes vs stock setup it doesnt leave much room to doubt the bearing theory though. Its like driving a car in comparison.

Any saginaw box I replace from now on will come from them.

if there was only room for a bushing i don't see how they fit a bearing ?
I have seen machining out and installing needle bearings mentioned on their site in a generic statement but never seen any evidence of it being done on our boxes for sure

you ?

or just me beig to skeptical LOL

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Can anyone back up his response?

I love the way 6.4s handle in the steering department

I can guarantee u that 8?-97 boxes are the same, super early 99 had an old style 97 box with a new style pitman with the smaller spline, 99-02 boxes had bigger spline output shafts and a 12-1 steering ratio. 02-04 boxes have the same power steering lines with a higher ratio whicked I think is 17-1. 05-08.5 have tge same spline shaft with the same 17-1 ratio but the lines have different fittings. Something is changed in the 08.5+ boxes but I'm not sure what but I do know u can install one on the 05 truck but unsure to what is needed to do so.

As far as redhead is conserned the 99-09 boxes may all be the same because they are the same housing and they rip all the internals out and put their own **** in.

With all that said, since u have a 7.3 and unsure of your year, a 03-04 box is a direct replacement for you and u will see steering benifits. The newer 08 trucks have even softer steering due to what I think is an upgraded power steering pump

Zmann

Reaction score
The person I talked to on the phone when I ordered mine claimed thats what was done. The box turns so much smoother than stock which leads me to believe them.

Am I going to rip it apart to find out? No.

At least not till it fails :)

Once you drive one with one of these boxes vs stock setup it doesnt leave much room to doubt the bearing theory though. Its like driving a car in comparison.

Any saginaw box I replace from now on will come from them.
thats the first actual first hand confirmation on the bearings
thanks ! :toast:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
My truck is an 02. I will be calling redhead this up coming week, I'll also send them my video and see what they think on if the splines are stripping, than I may have to purchase a new pitman

hucorey

Reaction score
My truck is an 02. I will be calling redhead this up coming week, I'll also send them my video and see what they think on if the splines are stripping, than I may have to purchase a new pitman

I would go with AGR Performance steering gear and not redhead.
http://www.agrperformance.com/Ford-AGR-Performance-MB-Motorsports.htm

They use the OBS gearbox case. They dont require your core from a SD because they are garbage. Talk to Matt there. Very good customer service. Iirc they are $339.

I spent the extra $50 and got the rock ram hydraulic assist ports installed for later.

Zmann

Reaction score
you should still try an Allen ,open end end through the fender well on yours IMHO

I don't know how bad a OEM box can be bushing and all because there are hundreds of thousands of them out there that work just fine
like mine for example

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I dont think K you can adjust the movement I have out, watch the slop in spline at the box

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
One thing to remember with the adjustment trick. Ive done it to a few hundred boxes and had good results till I got a ford falcon from my grandfather. Manual box aka no power steering and had seen 20 years at the time of constant forced turning while sitting perfectly still. He spent most of the time off road fishing with it :)

Anyways it was in bad shape and I adjusted it. Box let go on me right after crossing a wooden bridge. If it had of failed 60 seconds earlier Id of died. Im VERY careful when adjusting the slack now. If it takes more than a turn of the screw to take up the slack its unsafe to me. Just wanted to pass that along for anyone that runs across this thread and decides to adjust theirs.

The box I replaced on my truck took over 3 turns to just remove the slack. Not driving with a box that bad. Way to risky. Plus it was binding up to boot.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Thats my exact concern so I'm just going with a red head

bbbxcursion

Reaction score
Redhead hands down one of the best things I've done to my truck. I wish I did it when I first bought the truck.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Might install new pitman. I have a 6 inch lift so my drop is 6 inches right?

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
I would go with AGR Performance steering gear and not redhead.
http://www.agrperformance.com/Ford-AGR-Performance-MB-Motorsports.htm

They use the OBS gearbox case. They dont require your core from a SD because they are garbage. Talk to Matt there. Very good customer service. Iirc they are $339.

I spent the extra $50 and got the rock ram hydraulic assist ports installed for later.

I like how they have upgrade pumps forsale. I think a lot of fords issues with steering in the older trucks that are slightly lifted is a lack of volume in the pump department.
May have to give these guys a call!

n54power

Reaction score
do a redhead and use a brand new pitman.
90% of the time the wear comes from people using the wrong torque specs which leads to worn parts.
350lbs on the pitman nut and make sure the track bar is torqued right.
I did a redhead on a 05 today and on my 00. huge improvement and im rough on my truck

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Next thing is my steering wheel being cocked when straight. Should I leave that up to alignment guys when I'm all said and done or should I adjust track bar

BBottoms

Reaction score
You can adjust the steering wheel center with the drag link. Make sure you've adjusted the trac bar so that the axle is centered first. Tweaking the adjustment on the drag link won't screw with your toe/alignment setting as long as you leave the tie rod alone.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.