Steering gear box...

golfer

Reaction score
Since I have to wait & get scheduled for my own junk in our shop...annnnd I've been fighting crappy loose steering on my 2000 Excursion since I picked it up in January...285/75s no lift

Is there a reliably TIGHT steering box supplier?

I've replaced 99.99% of everything under the front of the X, but still have about 30* of slop in the steering wheel.

Cary/OBSWiz gave me some fantastically valuable info on general suspension improvements (yet to be upgraded from new parts already installed)...

But until I get the slop out of the wheel (don't want to mask it with steering stabilizers)...I find myself cruising in my low mile(<80k) 250 6speed...which handles like a sports car compared to the X.

Any GOOD steering boxes out there?

Thanks

Dave

golfer

Reaction score
Nice. Had heard of them in the past yet long forgotten

Looking forward to trying one out.

ParkerFly

Reaction score
Redhead here too. What I couldn't believe was how much easier my truck was to steer once it went in (OBS, not sure how it effects SD's). It takes much less effort to turn the wheel now than any OBS I've ever been in. Got quite a few miles on mine and still easy to steer and very tight. They seem to be a top of the line steering box.

golfer

Reaction score
good to hear since I ordered one this morning...

I'll post back in about a year...when the meat heads get time to swap it in...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I need to fix mine too, but I think most of mine is in the drag link. Not to Hijack, but does anyone have any good offerings other then the ford replacement for $500 fricking bucks?

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
No, mine for a superduty was around $350-400. The truck doesnt wander from side to side of the lane nearly as much, i was always making constant correction of the wheel to get it to track straight and it really got old quick on a highway drive. Now i can rest my arm up on the door panel and hold the wheel in one spot, mostly.. except curves

chappy

Reaction score
I have heard a lot of good things about the redhead boxes. If you wanted o go with a ram assist then I have always heard good things abou redneck ram

Last edited:

Barnabas

Reaction score
how do you guys figure out what is causing the slop? mine has never had real tight steering and things have been starting to get to me.

I am waiting till my front springs are replaced since they are toast and bending downwards :doh: so I was just going to wait and see how much that was effecting it. But when I read about people with poor steering, the gear box, seems to come up allot.

there is also a way to adjust the stock one and tighten it up too if I remember correctly right?

Vozar

Reaction score
good to hear since I ordered one this morning...

I'll post back in about a year...when the meat heads get time to swap it in...

You better pull those dentures out and start giving smoothies:flipa:

You could do it, just dont key it on with the injectors out:pointlaugh:

:popcorn:

Scarlet_Nape

Reaction score
I need to fix mine too, but I think most of mine is in the drag link. Not to Hijack, but does anyone have any good offerings other then the ford replacement for $500 fricking bucks?

Picked mine up here, Joe: http://www.thetireclub.com/content.wws?fname=FORD_TRUCK_KITS.HTML
Got the kit. Did the tie rods, but waiting until I get new tires/alignment to do the rest.

What abouts do those redhead boxes run?

Tom, I think I paid just about $235 for mine.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
I just finished installing a redhead in my mother's ex tonight. my old man took it for a spin and said real real tight. ill see how it does, most likely order one for my 250