Steering Linkage Upgrades

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
Most heavy trucks use hydraulic assist basically acting as a steering stabilizers... I give those heims a year before they are loose and start rattling and need replaced. May also want to check your laws but here in Michigan heims aren't even legal, and if those tubes aren't threaded and just have bungs welded in they are probably also illegal.
Heims on my crossover steering setup on my ranger are sloppy and have hardly any miles on them and I kept them clean and lubed.
Also I can't tell from the pics but I recommend running safety washers incase a heim comes apart running down the road.
The setup looks great though hope they hold up for you!!

Actually you are wrong.. Most modern heavy trucks run a high pressure pump to a steering box, some have an assist slave steering box, hydraulic assist rams went the way of the dinosaurs years ago..
In Alberta, no problem here..
And ya, safety washers are there.

NotStock

Reaction score
My pump is fine and also no bumpsteer on my rig. Removing the stabilizers greatly reduced the effort to turn the wheels when the truck isn't moving, that's a fact, I mean I just proved it with my truck. There's a lot resistance in a stabilizer, that's a fact. Like I said, I can sit there and turn my wheel lock to lock now, like butter. No way i could do that before. Comparing all heim joints as the same is simple minded, if anyone is serious about this mod, call Randy at Bulletproof and ask him about his Heim joints and how much time and effort went into designing them. I am not gunna argue about a kit that has 1000km on it, let me test it before you bash the quality of his ends. This is a solid mod so far, the truck steers beautifully.

There are lots of different steering configurations and comparing a heavy/medium duty truck to that of our 3/4 ton trucks is apples to oranges. The simple size and mass of the steering components in a class 8 are 10x that of our trucks while yet they have similar size tires (when compared to many lifted trucks).

You are 100% correct in saying that not all heims are same but they all have similar construction. Which is where the inherent flaw lies. The higher end ones will have a longer life but the same flaw still exists and should be understood. The heim will offer a stronger load capacity (or at least has the potential to) but service life and street manners will suffer over time. Im very curious in what you have said about how his were designed. You make it sound as though he actually designed and had them manufactured. The purchase volume that it would take to make that happen makes that sound a little fishy. Not calling him or you liar, just something thats intriguing. From the pictures, it does however appear that he is using relatively high quality heims either way.

All in all, as long as you are pleased with the results, thats what matters. Just keep an eye on things so you can address them before its a major problem. I would still highly suggest that dual stabilizer to save a ton of high dollar components from accelerated wear, even though your convinced its not needed.

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
There are lots of different steering configurations and comparing a heavy/medium duty truck to that of our 3/4 ton trucks is apples to oranges. The simple size and mass of the steering components in a class 8 are 10x that of our trucks while yet they have similar size tires (when compared to many lifted trucks).

Thats my point, and really the point of this thread, the pressure it takes to turn the big wheels and tires of my truck is comparable, yet I am doing it with a system designed for 3/4 ton.

You are 100% correct in saying that not all heims are same but they all have similar construction. Which is where the inherent flaw lies. The higher end ones will have a longer life but the same flaw still exists and should be understood. The heim will offer a stronger load capacity (or at least has the potential to) but service life and street manners will suffer over time. Im very curious in what you have said about how his were designed. You make it sound as though he actually designed and had them manufactured. The purchase volume that it would take to make that happen makes that sound a little fishy. Not calling him or you liar, just something thats intriguing. From the pictures, it does however appear that he is using relatively high quality heims either way.

I suggest you visit Bulletproofs website or better yet, talk to Randy. Believe me, I was hesitant in the switch but all the questions I had, like the very ones you have, were all answered.

All in all, as long as you are pleased with the results, thats what matters. Just keep an eye on things so you can address them before its a major problem. I would still highly suggest that dual stabilizer to save a ton of high dollar components from accelerated wear, even though your convinced its not needed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will post up my findings after I put some miles on them. I am very picky with my truck, I will def keep a close eye on things, if anything should happen I will catch it.

doubledrop

Reaction score
My pump is fine and also no bumpsteer on my rig. Removing the stabilizers greatly reduced the effort to turn the wheels when the truck isn't moving, that's a fact, I mean I just proved it with my truck. There's a lot resistance in a stabilizer, that's a fact. Like I said, I can sit there and turn my wheel lock to lock now, like butter. No way i could do that before. Comparing all heim joints as the same is simple minded, if anyone is serious about this mod, call Randy at Bulletproof and ask him about his Heim joints and how much time and effort went into designing them. I am not gunna argue about a kit that has 1000km on it, let me test it before you bash the quality of his ends. This is a solid mod so far, the truck steers beautifully.

Did u test turning wheel at standstill with the new drag link/tie rod and with stabilizer installed? I think the ease of turning is from the tighter heavier duty components. I saw same thing when I upgraded to my 12" rize lift with the steering components that put the track bar and drag link parallel. My dual stabilizers still installed was night and day from the previous setup where my truck used to have to be rolling to even begin to turn the wheels. Now I can turn at a standstill as well but still with my dual stabilizers installed. Just my .02

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Personally I didn't notice any difference in steering feel or effort when I installed a twin stabilizer. If the stabilizers aren't specifically valved for that application could be a reason in seeing a difference.

I didn't go back and look, but not having some kind of locking capability on the hiem joint to stop it from coming apart is an issue. My pure performance kit didn't and I learned the hard way what happens when they loosen up and come apart when on the highway. Not a situation I would want anyone to go through.
That is why I went with Ballistic, they lock and will not come apart, ohhh and if you go a year without checking them you are asking for trouble too. Keep an eye on them.

Zmann

Reaction score
OP the system u have looks nice and I am glad your pleased
but my 2cents

I would only want Heims if they were installed as a double sheer on My truck for steering items

I have dual opposing gas charged stabilizers on mine and lock to lock standing still is
ok IMHO not that I like doing that

I also disagree about stabilizers being a mask ( not that I haven't heard that opinion before) I have had mine on for 60,ooo miles out of 90,000 .

i would only replace them if I go to an assist ram ( using double shear heims)

not looking to Argue as it's a great thread u started

Last edited:

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
Had some time to install my new track bar today. Install was pretty straight forward, just took some time and thought to fab up a lower axle mount. Initial impressions, working the wheel back and forth tells the tail, everything is super tight! Driving the truck, I immediately notice the instant response from the steering wheel. Even more so then the steering linkage swap. Clearly there's no more waisted energy from the steering wheel to the wheels. This truck has never steered this good, I would honestly say it steers better then when it was a completely stock truck. As for the linkage, I've been working the truck pretty hard and so far so good. Been on a couple (600km one way, rough road) fishing trips up to northern AB, been down a few mountain trails out west and their still tight like new. Going on another fishing trip this weekend and can't wait, this thing steers like a wet dream. Here's some finished pics.

photo_zpsc9efa00f.jpg

photo_zps80fe2999.jpg

photo_zps0716c22e.jpg

Vinny07psd

Reaction score
Sounds like good stuff, just rebuilt my front end... Should have gotten that stuff instead. Whoops maybe next time

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I would never even consider using a ballistic joint in a steering application. That just does not even make since. I have broke and deformed enough in suspension systems that I have switched to 1.25 Joints from Ruffstuff. I would not even consider using a ballistic joint in single shear in any application.

If you are using hiems in a steering set up like tons of people do. Make sure to use a safety washer so that if the inner part of the hiem fails (which does happen even on the best joints) The tie rod or drag link can not just fall off. Best case is to make sure it is double shear, but that does not happen without added fab work.

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments fellas. It's beefy alright, love that feeling knowing my steering should be able to take a pounding and keep going if needed.

I would never even consider using a ballistic joint in a steering application. That just does not even make since. I have broke and deformed enough in suspension systems that I have switched to 1.25 Joints from Ruffstuff. I would not even consider using a ballistic joint in single shear in any application.

Theyre not ballistic heims their Bulletproof.. Have you broke or deformed a bulletproof heim?? Let me know if you do. :poke: Thanks for your input :thumbup:

If you are using hiems in a steering set up like tons of people do. Make sure to use a safety washer so that if the inner part of the hiem fails (which does happen even on the best joints) The tie rod or drag link can not just fall off. Best case is to make sure it is double shear, but that does not happen without added fab work.

If you read the thread you would know the safety washers come with the Bulletproof kit. Double sheer would be better, high steer-double sheer would be best but there's no options that I know of right now for our trucks. So I am rocking this kit.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments fellas. It's beefy alright, love that feeling knowing my steering should be able to take a pounding and keep going if needed.

If you read the thread you would know the safety washers come with the Bulletproof kit. Double sheer would be better, high steer-double sheer would be best but there's no options that I know of right now for our trucks. So I am rocking this kit.

I was commenting for the people suggesting to use the ballistic joints, and the company that sells them in there steering kit. I read the thread but must have missed the safety washer part. Sorry to bother your thread with some safety concern, Ill be sure to read on and not care next time.

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
I was commenting for the people suggesting to use the ballistic joints, and the company that sells them in there steering kit. I read the thread but must have missed the safety washer part. Sorry to bother your thread with some safety concern, Ill be sure to read on and not care next time.

My bad, I thought you were directing your comments towards me as no one mentioned ballistics recently and you didnt quote anyone. Carry on..

k2xp

Reaction score
Any updates so far?? ... how is the steering system holding up

ncollins64

Reaction score
I think Ryan is enjoying his set up. I actually bought the same stuff that Ryan did from bullet proof and love it. The steering is so tight and feels better than new. And the joints are really a work of art.

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score

Still holding strong with over 10k. I just did a retorque and recheck when I changed my oil and every joint is tight. We have a ton of snow up here so the roads have been terrible, a good test on the steering components for sure. Mind you, I don't go out of my way to hit holes or ruts but with the current road conditions my truck has taken some big hits. If you were constantly in extremely rough conditions, the rough road feedback to the steering wheel is something you have to be ready for, especially in 4x4. A simple solution would be to throw the stock stabilizer on. The best solution would be to bump steering pump pressure up to retain road feedback. That said, I'm being picky and trying to give a fair review. I don't mind it all and will be running it as is, it's just something that I've noticed recently with the way the roads have been. I actually prefer to feel whats going on under my steering axle. So far, I still feel like this is a tremendous upgrade over the abortion factory linkage. I will be sure to update should anything change.

I think Ryan is enjoying his set up. I actually bought the same stuff that Ryan did from bullet proof and love it. The steering is so tight and feels better than new. And the joints are really a work of art.

Right on man, glad you like it! In the future, if you have any feedback with your Bulletproof kit feel free to update us in this thread. :toast: