Steering play/resistance

bthomas

Reaction score
Ok wanted to get some ideas and advice on troubleshooting an issue I have had for awhile now.

Problem is sometimes not consistently with any pattern I can start my truck and the steering will have excessive play and just overall looseness causing wander and over compensation while driving. Other times I can start it up and it will be tight with nice resistance and drive like a dream. Powersteering fluid level is always normal and no leaks are present. Ps pump makes no noise indicating an issue.

I have recently replaced brakes, flushed ps fluid, new drag link, tie rods. Ball joints and u joints.

The inconsistent part is what is the mystery as I don't know if the gear box is the issue or if it is a possible hydroboost issue or the pump. When it is acting correctly it has nice resistance and seems great. When it is not it has more road feedback and sloppiness.

Could the gearbox have a air pocket in it or something explaining why it changes?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Truck is a 2008 f350 4x4

Stroked777

Reaction score
Check and make sure the pitman arm is tight I heard of issues (cant remember if its only with lifted trucks) where the nut on the steering box can back off and cause the pitman arm to be loose. Use a pry bar. A pry bar is your best friend when checking for wear/movement in steering components

98stratusryder

Reaction score
I just changed out my steering gearbox. I had the exact same problem, it had about half a turn of play when I swapped it out.

Latest posts

Members online