Steering problems

sixxonesixx

Reaction score
I am a newbie here and need some help. I have a completely stock 2001 F250 SD. I had some steering problems so I changed out everything. U/L ball joints, TRE's, Hubs, and still had steering pull/throw. I then changed the steering pump and the problem seemed fixed for 2 days. Fine... I then changed out the steering box and that too was good for about 2 days until I changed it out again with another rebuild. Now after 2 days it actually goes from vibration to steering throw. There seems to be kind of a pull when I slightly steer to one side or the other until it "throws" over. Is there a problem with rebuilds as far as the adjustment goes? Is there a way to actually tell? Is there specs for the st. box adjustment? How to tell if it is too tight os loose? I'm starting to get pissed although I can now have the steering box out in 30 minutes to replace yet again with another one. Any insight would help. Might the Hydroboost be playing around with the pressures on the box?... Very perplexed. Thought it was maybe some crap in the lines... not sure.

sootie

Reaction score
try taking the steering damper off and see if it changes anything. also is this a stock height truck?

smokenstroker99

Reaction score
How were the universal joints on the front axles? I had a one rust solid and it would pull really hard to the right and turning the wheel left to try to correct it would "throw" the steering wheel to left then the truck would pull left.

sixxonesixx

Reaction score
The u joints seem okay. I had it up in the air and they turned okay. Everything goes away for 2 days when I change 1- power steering pump 2- steering box 3- another steering box. Would the hydroboost valving change the pressure to the steering box if maybe the H/Boost dampener was faulty? Or maybe the valving. I'm really hoping that an inline filter may help. I've flushed 4 times but am thinking that crap might be getting stuck in the valving in the steering box.

JMart

Reaction score
Mine does this on occasion, let us know if you get it figured out. I haven't had the time to dig into mine.

sootie

Reaction score
does it make a difference if the hubs are locked or unlocked?

smokenstroker99

Reaction score
My u joint turned ok when it was seized. I only found out it was that after I tore it apart. I couldn't even move the stub shaft side to side with a 4 pound mini sledge. But it is odd that it goes away for a day or 2 then comes back. Let us know if you figure it out

sixxonesixx

Reaction score
I just changed out the steering pump and the gear box again w/ inline filter. Took for a test spin and it hiccupped once. What kind of issues happens with the hydroboost not valving right? Or dampening properly?

powerlifter405

Reaction score
You need to make sure all of the air is out.

Also the factory pump sucks. If you can, pay the $$ and get a decent Saginaw setup. Lee Manufacturing will do it for about $300. On the gear, get a decent remain from Lee or Red Neck in Oregon. I have orders for both but my 02 developed a lot of slop and even the PSC gear developed a lot of play. After spending close to $1200 bucks for a PSC w/ no instructions I'll never use them again.

Good luck

Dantheman

Reaction score
The hydroboost will not cause a pull to one side or the other. It will cause the steering assist to not help as much if it has an issue. The most common issues are dragging brakes(front or rear), locked hubs, binding or seized steering components or shaft joints. The area the lines connect to the steering box contain a valve setup that diverts the pressure to turn one direction or the other. If it goes out it can cause issues too but it is much more rare. That was most likely replaced with the different gearbox. Have you adjusted the gear boxes?

Latest posts

Members online