Steering wheel is worn out. Recommendations?

Motostroker

Reaction score
How is your dashdaq mounted? I have a three pillar pod but it won't clear my custom mount

Spatel23

Reaction score
I modified the cup portion of the mount that comes with the DD.

screwed it into the grey portion of the dash so it still swivels and looks clean. Wish I could take a picture for you to better show what Im talking about but I dont have the truck in my possession yet.

On edit.......maybe Wayne can snap a picture of it

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Great! Now that you posted the picture, I HAVE to have pillar gauges.... Never really thought about before since the Minimax has about every gauge you need, Besides oil pressure..

The new Ford steering wheel isn't as costly as I expected. Seems like a better option then sending your stocker off for repair. I can imaging the looks one would get rolling around town in a 50,000+ dollar truck with a vise grip for a wheel!

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
How much was it to just get that portion done?

heres a picture of mine just in case anyone wanted to see what it looks like.......

DSCN0122.jpg

Diesel23

Reaction score
Looks Really sharp Shone , Just on a side note i do believe ford warranty will cover a new wheel if under i want to say 60k , when i found out mine had just over that so no go !!

Motostroker

Reaction score
Drake, just wrap it in black tape slap a cover on it and call it good...LOL
Mine is pretty wore also.

The advance 12 cover Wayne pointed out is looking nicer and nicer the more I price these expensive a$$ wheels!

jdgleason

Reaction score
Shones wheel is way sick. I was wanting to do that to mine as well actually. I thought that wood would look slick with black leather.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I personally love the look and feel of the leather wraps. Every vehicle I have ever owned had them. And it also protects the steering wheel keeping it like new.

sent while swerving into the wrong lane...

I dont agree or disagree. Buuut given the OP is doing this.for purely cosmetic reasons and asked specifically about Shones I dont think a leather re-wrap is going to.cut it visually. Given the information in this post where you expounded further, I can only assume you meant one of those cheesy perforated 70's wraps that go over the oem wheel and are secured with faux leather cordage. Those are even worse.

All this is personal opinion but given the intended result in the first post I dont think its the solution, although much cheaper.

Take this as you want keeping in mind my steering wheel is rough looking.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Just wrap with some trojens for long lasting protection Drake!!!LOL

I had my wheel wear out a little while back as well with around 45k on the truck and I got a new wheel with the controls in it from Ford for around $200 I want to say. I have the Lariet leather wrapped wheel as well, so you can find them pretty cheap if you shop around to the ford dealers. I got mine for a good bit off because it was on the shelf for a while at an out of state dealership.

Last edited:

Pmac21

Reaction score
The paint on my controls is worn off and my dad has an 08 with the wheel controls that look like new. I thought about swapping them out before he gets rid of his (its his work truck) but my question is how hard is it to get them out?

Also look up SEM Classic Coat. It is vinyl and leather paint. An upholstery guy i know said you can repaint the leather on your wheel to give it that new look.

Last edited:

jugger13

Reaction score
The paint on my controls is worn off and my dad has an 08 with the wheel controls that look like new. I thought about swapping them out before he gets rid of his (its his work truck) but my question is how hard is it to get them out?

Also look up SEM Classic Coat. It is vinyl and leather paint. An upholstery guy i know said you can repaint the leather on your wheel to give it that new look.

Not sure if its the same thing but when I bought my truck it had the leather coat/paint on the steering wheel and seat.
They looked new but both came off very fast plus the coating on the wheel was a magnet for dirt.
It would get sticky and turn black.

Bigbondo007

Reaction score
I did my own, just need to go back and soak it and tighten it up
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369426092555.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369426092555.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 124

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thats not horrible.but I wouldnt like.all that loose crap. Not bashing you because I dont.think.I can do it either but it'd drive me nuts for sure.

Latest posts

Members online