Steering Wheel Replacement

jsleboda

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced a steering wheel on these trucks yet? The one my truck calls out for is BC3Z3600BC which only has cruise control, up and down, setup and reset buttons, but i am wondering if i can get BC3Z3600BA to work. The BA has radio controls where the BC does not. Also the BA is almost half the price as the original one in my truck. Does anyone know which steering wheels are compatible with certain trucks, or have any info on this? Thanks.

Last edited:

co04cobra

Reaction score
It's a direct bolt on as far as wheel goes but likely have to change Clockspring and or other parts for the radio controls to work.

Buck1

Reaction score
I went from basic XLT wheel in my truck to leather wrapped Lariat wheel with all buttons. Easy swap and no issues. All worked good.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

KAC1023

Reaction score
I went from basic XLT wheel in my truck to leather wrapped Lariat wheel with all buttons. Easy swap and no issues. All worked good.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Did you have to buy the clock spring?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

co04cobra

Reaction score
Yes, disconnect the batteries. Wait at least 15mins before disconnecting. That is the safest way to do it.

JRLott

Reaction score
I'm not 100% certain that would do it. Talk to a fireman or EMT. The disable them on a regular basis, and I'm fairly certain I've been told even if the battery is in pieces, they can still deploy.

I could be wrong though.

co04cobra

Reaction score
That will do it. I've put 100s of airbags in doing repair work without ever disabling the system or even having the batteries disconnected.

I ABSOLUTELY would never recommend that to anyone, but the system isn't as sensitive as most people think.

Biggest thing to avoid is poking around the airbag wires with a power probe or ground. That has potential to set a bag off.

Disconnecting the plug itself even powered is less of a chance.

Notneb

Reaction score
I'm not 100% certain that would do it. Talk to a fireman or EMT. The disable them on a regular basis, and I'm fairly certain I've been told even if the battery is in pieces, they can still deploy.

I could be wrong though.

First thing I did when I was called to an MVA was disconnect the battery. The only thing that will set them off is an electrical current + impact. I was more worried about magnesium wheels/parts that could kick off a Class Delta fire...

JRLott

Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification, co & Neb. I thought they had something like a capacitor that could set them off. That's what the EMT told me. Guess he was FOS.

Notneb

Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification, co & Neb. I thought they had something like a capacitor that could set them off. That's what the EMT told me. Guess he was FOS.

Keyword there is: EMT... They like to hang out in ambulances and talk about what version of the new Prius they want to buy.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yes, disconnect the batteries. Wait at least 15mins before disconnecting. That is the safest way to do it.

He's right. The steering wheel shops say 15 minutes is sufficient but they say half hour just to be safe.

Latest posts

Members online