Stiff Auto Shifter

Godofdew11

Reaction score
Gents,

Never realized how stiff my shifter had gotten till my dad picked up a new to him 6.0. Has anyone had any luck cleaning or lubricating anything to make it smoother again?

Thanks,
Don

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
And once you've replaced the shifter and it is STILL stiff you'll be out $50 and unhappy.

The problem is usually the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) on the driver's side of the transmission. It's the part with the wire harness. A new one is around $60.

It's easy to change. Chock the wheels AND set the parking brake. Put the trans in neutral. Remove the nut that holds the lever with the shift cable to the trans. Unplug the wiring harness. Remove the two bolts that hold the TRS to the trans. Remove the old TRS (it will be stuck in place) and install the new one. There is an alignment mark that you need to align with the trans in neutral. Tighten the two bolts, plug in the harness, install the lever and nut, and you're done.

Nobody Special

Reaction score
Don't put this off or you'll also end up replacing the potmetal shift tube that runs between the shift lever and the shift cable. When it breaks (and it will eventually), you'll end up replacing the rod that runs through it as well because it will bend. It can be straightened, but sometimes it just doesn't work smoothly anymore.

The part isn't hard to change, just a nuisance.

Godofdew11

Reaction score
Power-Struck, i am in the midst of trying to do the swap now but i dont see any nut that would hold the lever to the tranny, and i cant seem to get the old TRS off, even after taking the 2 bolts out. I have a feeling these are related issues, hoping for help
thanks

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The lever attaches to the shaft that runs through the TRS. A nut holds this lever to the shaft. If there is no nut, what is holding the lever to the shaft? Did someone weld the lever to the shaft and eliminate the nut? If so, you're screwed.

Last edited:

Godofdew11

Reaction score
So i had no nut to take off, the lever attaches to the tranny behind the TRS and the TRS was press fit on the shaft. Just took off the 2 bolts, pried the TRS till it broke, then had to chisel the white part that was rusted to the shaft off, cleaned it up with a dremel and put new one on.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
View attachment 14294I've never seen one like that. Someone must have modified it. That's not how it is supposed to be.

Attachments

• TRS Negative.jpg
    TRS Negative.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 45

Godofdew11

Reaction score
Interesting mine looks nothing like that, my harness came from the front of the truck. From the rust and corrosion it has never been off nor modified. I will try and take a picture in a bit. All back together now though and it shifts great, thanks for the help.

TyCorr

Reaction score
And once you've replaced the shifter and it is STILL stiff you'll be out $50 and unhappy.

The problem is usually the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) on the driver's side of the transmission. It's the part with the wire harness. A new one is around $60.

It's easy to change. Chock the wheels AND set the parking brake. Put the trans in neutral. Remove the nut that holds the lever with the shift cable to the trans. Unplug the wiring harness. Remove the two bolts that hold the TRS to the trans. Remove the old TRS (it will be stuck in place) and install the new one. There is an alignment mark that you need to align with the trans in neutral. Tighten the two bolts, plug in the harness, install the lever and nut, and you're done.

Could this.also be responsible for my reverse lights not.coming on? Needs.adjustment? My vacuum pump(new) also isnt getting voltage. I think these two may be controlled by the same circuit(fuse anyway). Is it possible my GEM could be the root of.these two.circuits not.getting voltage? I might be looking to.far into the source however Mark.

Also, unrelated or not, the same time.these two issues showed up, my brake-shift interlock stopped working. You.can be setting there and just put the truck in R. No brake pedal needed.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
Power-Struck, i am in the midst of trying to do the swap now but i dont see any nut that would hold the lever to the tranny, and i cant seem to get the old TRS off, even after taking the 2 bolts out. I have a feeling these are related issues, hoping for help
thanks

Don i'm sorry for getting to your pm so late today, if need an emergency contact # is on my website. hopefully next time i can be more helpful

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I just changed a TRS on a 2000 today. the plug is facing towards front of truck and two 8 mm bolts held it onto the trans. slipped new one on, aligned it to where old one was, trucks starts in P now...

Godofdew11

Reaction score
No problem with the PM, your response on here was plenty fast thank you very much you were very helpful! Lucky when I was balls deep i have a freind who does a lot of maintinence on lanscape fleets around here.... lots of 7.3s. he was able to give me quick help.

All good in this hood!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.