still can't figure out what's wrong

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
This is really getting to be a hassle, I'll go over this again some of you may already know my problem so the truck I have a little power off the line but once you hit 20 or 30 you could fly in it and it was good, that is until the fuel pump went out. I did the tank mods& after blowing fuses I found a wire that was grounding out.
Fixed that and it still had low power but it also had white smoke coming from the exhaust I noticed this right before the pump went out. I changed the CPS 3 times. I took it to a shop as it would start an idle without a issue. They tell me # 1,3&7 failed on the buzz test &failed the continuity test as well as a bad glow plug on each side.They said the uvch on pass side was almost unplugged & when they went to plug it back in it broke a part .So I figured before I'd buy injectors I'd throw on the new uvch on both sides & new glow plugs . Since doing so it will not start @ all it will try to start but don't. You get like a fuel knock . I Can crank&crank it almost started but got to shaking real bad.Also it passes the buzz test.
Why would it not start now @ all since the new uvch&why would it pass the buzz test now but failed before? No codes but ebps.Good oil pressure, I have a buddy comjng by tomorrow to do a pin out test? Check the voltage@the idm&ohm out the injectors.I have to get it going snow is already here.So how do I tell if the uvch is bad..the new ones also what all do I look for while were in there.I have the link to this test...
http://www.gbreman.com/techbulletin_103.html
So any suggestions? There was no blow by before btw, any advice will be greatly appreciated

mandkole

Reaction score
If the buzz tests now pass on all 8 injectors, you have power to the injectors. Good, and nothing more can be done there. With the heavy white smoke, its very possible that there are injector issues but more troubleshooting should be done.

What is the ICP while cranking? What is the fuel pressure--did you ever check that? The heavy vibration is concerning--does it vibrate while cranking? If you have injector fuel, ICP, glowplug heat and compression it should fire.

One of the issues that I am ( I think all of us are) struggling with is that we are not getting much diagonostic information. Your posts are often very difficult to read and comprehend, so please keep that in mind. The more information you can give, the better.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Sorry it's been on a genesis & 3 snap on code readers idk what icp is but they all say its good.During buzz test some buzzed louder than others, oil pressure & fuel pressure was good.The shaking happened when trying to start did it once & went away.I have a fella now coming by to ohm everything out. My health has ad men stuck in bed for almost 2 month's only getting out to mess with it very seldom, but Im getting up when he gets here.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Sorry it's been on a genesis & 3 snap on code readers idk what icp is but they all say its good.During buzz test some buzzed louder than others, oil pressure & fuel pressure was good.The shaking happened when trying to start did it once & went away.I have a fella now coming by to ohm everything out. My health has ad men stuck in bed for almost 2 month's only getting out to mess with it very seldom, but Im getting up when he gets here.

If fuel pressure and all the sensor check out good CPS,IPR ICP etc pass buzz test etc. Hook up a scanner and check on ICP/IPR while cranking you need 500 psi for the truck to start and idle.

mandkole

Reaction score
Hope you get your health dialed in as well... that and being in the country would make learning/working on an old truck difficult. You'd probably be money ahead to just have a shop fix it but we've all seen plenty of shops that are not real powerstroke savvy. Let us know what the mechanic says..

good luck!

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
I get paid for an 82 f250 Im doing some bodywork on this week. Ill have a little more than a grand.Im thinking about just taking it back to a shop.But last time I did that all they said was how 1,3&7 were bad & they would start there is what they said when I asked if that would fix it.Today the fella who came out really doesn't know anything about diesels.I basically paid him to come visit. We tryd to get a reading off of the idm & it didn't give us any reading @ all but the ohm reader sucked.Idk if I should go buy an ohm reader&try that or just put it in the shop.He ran the scanner again & he said he got an error 64 on his snap on code reader when checking the glow plugs. It wouldn't let him finish.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Does this look right?

20141117_162556.jpg

Also should I do the test both off of the idm & the harness on the driverside front of the valve cover?

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
This is what Im trying to figure out, I never do electrical stuff btw, well Im about to run & pick up a mutlimeter to test this &then idm. I HAVE NO IDEA what Im doing or wear to stick thebhot/red tester in & the black/ ground . Please help an idiot out
picture.jpg

mandkole

Reaction score
If you passed the buzz test and all 8 run, why are you pinning the idm? You have inj power supply. Am I missing something?

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
I keep getting told that since it ran b4 the uvch was replaced & not now that something probably happened to the wiring

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
What about the glow plug? Why would it start before uvch but not after new one was installed also during the buzz test some buzzes were louder than others

Arisley

Reaction score
Some buzzes were louder than others because of injector wear.

If you put new glow plugs in, and your relay is working, they should work.
Glow plug wires do not go through that connector.

If you doubt the results of the buzz test, put one lead in the driver side supply connector, put the other lead in each of the driver side injector connectors, it doesn't matter which lead you put where. They should be almost a dead short.
Do the same thing with the passenger side connectors.

Plug the truck in for three or four hours, if it fires right up and runs good, you have glow plug issues.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Thanks fellas I forgot to mention now while cranking there is black smoke before when it was starting it was white smoke and now it is completely black what does that mean?

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
The more I think about it when I had it running it was alot warmer.I only have a 650&550 cca battery in there. Could that be my problem?

Latest posts

Members online