Stock .84 Housing Modification

dirtboy25

Reaction score
The pressure difference between the passenger and driver sides of the motor has got to be pretty extreme once the wastegate does start opening.

Sorry for my lack of "stock turbo knowledge"... I've never payed much attention to it.

When the waste gate opens you are only relieving pressure from right bank of cylinders, leaving the left bank with a high amount of bp?

Doing this mod would obviously help equalize the pressure... Am I on the right track here?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong...

But I thought the purpose of this mod was to equalize pressure to the turbine wheel?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I just can't see the imbalance on stock injectors being that huge... But, I've been wrong before.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Are aftermarket flanges equalized at the collector?

Let me see if I'm getting this jist of it, equalizing b4 should reduce heat, drop BP slightly, smooth bad harmonics thus lowering egt and increasing ve?

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
HAHA. I think everyone is right...

To me, the point is to equalize the BP... Stock injectors can easily push this turbo up to 35psi. That's a lot of BP. And from what I've seen, most people have been reading BP through the EBP sensor, which is on the wastegated side of the motor...
And it's stupid high...
And it will have less BP than the driver side...

I'd love to but a BP gauge on the driver side and see what the pressures are getting to with the stock turbo...

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Is it bernoulli's principle?

Fluid dynamics... Pressure in a container is equal in all parts of the container.

I'd think that'd sort of apply here, with the turbine wheel being the bottle neck that forced the whole system higher as pressure rises.

I think drilling the housing might make the stock gate more efficient, but I dunno how far it'd go to equalize.

Be interesting to see a BP gauge in both manifolds I guess, on a stock divided turbo.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I agree to some extent for sure... But the containers are pretty much seperate until they actually hit the wheel... I "think" that this is enough of a middle ground that it may be 50/50...

Clear as mud?

Big Bore

Reaction score
Is it bernoulli's principle?

Fluid dynamics... Pressure in a container is equal in all parts of the container.

Two containers merging into one container, after the pressure relief on one container? So the pressure relief from one side will equalize the other in the turbine outlet?

Is it actually a container since it's not truly contained but simply impeded or restricted?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Two containers merging into one container, after the pressure relief on one container? So the pressure relief from one side will equalize the other in the turbine outlet?

Is it actually a container since it's not truly contained but simply impeded or restricted?

Well... When you put it all like that...

WIESEL

Reaction score
The pressure difference between the passenger and driver sides of the motor has got to be pretty extreme once the wastegate does start opening.

That can't be a good thing, eh?
What's the best way to get the gate to relieve both sides?

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
I'd be very interested in how this effects egt. I asked about porting the collector a while back and no one knew, you might just set the new 7.3 trend :D

WIESEL

Reaction score
I can see new whole straight through and a lil taken off the divider. Could quite see in the sun, lol..
That's gotta help.

Big-stroke

Reaction score
Can you put up a few more pictures of this? A short step by step would be greatly appreciated.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Well... When you put it all like that...

Just to be clear, those were serious questions, not arguing or being a smartass (out of character I know, the confusion is understandable LOL). My area of concentration is electron flow, not airflow, so I'm genuinely interested in what the effects would be. My other thought is if the pressure relief from one "container" to the other is in the outlet/DP, the pressurized airflow through the non WG side would be in opposition to any pressure relief would it not?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Just to be clear, those were serious questions, not arguing or being a smartass (out of character I know, the confusion is understandable LOL). My area of concentration is electron flow, not airflow, so I'm genuinely interested in what the effects would be. My other thought is if the pressure relief is in the outlet/DP, the pressurized airflow through the non WG side would be in opposition to any pressure relief would it not?

Well...

I'm not physicist, but it's always been my understanding that gas and liquids behave very similarly under pressure.

(Here's where an engineer jumps in to tell me I'm FOS)

If you have something under a steady state of pressure, and it has one large vent (turbine wheel), then entire volume area under pressure (manifolds and up-pipes) should be under equal pressure, right?

As pressure climbs and forces an additional vent, because it has become to high to maintain flow through the designated path, I'm sure there'll be a momentary dip in BP in that up-pipe.

But, the turbine/turbine wheel is still forcing pressure back to make this happen, and the gasses are going to follow the path of least resistance.

Which, if my half thought out theory is correct, means that some will bleed over at the end of the divider, at the turbine wheel, causing pressure in the other up-pipe to equalize, at least somewhat.

Now that I've typed it, I'm not as confident in the theory. But, if it were liquid, I'm fairly certain you'd run into this.

Say two rivers hit one dam, the dam having a spillway. The river on the right has an additional smaller spillway around the dam, the river on the left does not. When the flow of the river on the left combined with the remaining flow from the right hand river becomes to much for the spillway built into the dam, the volume of both rivers at the dam will equalize, as water from the left congests the right...

I dunno. Right now it seems a whole lot easier to pull the EGT probe outa the drivers manifold and take a reading from there, and the stock EBPS port in the passenger side lol.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'm in no position to try to argue what you're saying Chvyrkr, but I think what we're missing here is the fact that the wastegate opens... Take one of your rivers and relieve it 1/4 mile upstream with a waterfall... Are they still going to be equal? Or only equal at the restriction?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Yeah I gotcha... And at this point I'm thinking I'd rather stick a BP gauge in each manifold and go WOT on a stockish turbo before I say anything else lol.

But, my point is that when the combined flow is to much for the dam, it's gonna congest the other river, and back that congestion up to the relief point, which is not enough possibly for both streams, so I'd expect the back up to go further upstream. Equalizing both rivers.

Latest posts

Members online