Stock air cleaner minus the inlet

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
Does anyone run the stock air cleaner without the plastic inlet that pulls air from the grill? I had it off and decided to run the engine that way and my egt's dropped and more importantly it sounds pretty cool!:p Any reason not to run it this way?

Fox hunt

Reaction score
I don't see why it would hurt anything, I never thought about it. I'm kinda interested now. Maybe someone else will chime in with a thought.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
As far as I know most of the aftermarket systems don't use an inlet. So why would running the stocker without it be harmful in any way?

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
i have run mine with and without it at the track. without the snorkel on there the intake air temps get really high in the staging lanes and while the truck is idling. my temps were 110-130*F by the time i got to the burnout box which were near double what they were with the snorkel on. with it on they stay real close to ambient even idling in the lanes.

the runs i made with it off slowed the truck down most of the way down the track until the temps dropped off and then it actually picked up .5mph in the 1/4.

basically the stock setup flows better with the snorkel off but for drag racing it doesnt help ETs at all, actually hurts. might not hurt driving around on the highway and stuff but at low speeds, sitting in traffic, idle, etc it heat soaks real quick.

Nic

Reaction score
this is funny..a buddy of mine did this the other day and asked me about it..i said hell i dont see what it would hurt and would probably draw air a little better..i never thought of it when i had a stock intake. he has the zoodad as well..sure sounds a little louder

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I modded the snorkel on my 2004 and 2006 makes filter swaps childs play.

IntakeMod2.jpg

8inchstroker

Reaction score
A little derail but.......ive got an 01 with the zoodad mod, I'm always leary about dust! Should i be?

yeehaw

Reaction score
wouldn't you wanna pull the cold air from the front of the truck instead of the hot air in the engine compartment. Or am i thinking wrong.

Triple H

Reaction score
wouldn't you wanna pull the cold air from the front of the truck instead of the hot air in the engine compartment. Or am i thinking wrong.

Naw, but some people aren't happy until they feel they have built a better mouse trap or stuck it to the man.

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score

That's why I'm asking. The aftermarket kits just sit in the engine bay without an inlet.

yeehaw

Reaction score
my s&b had an inlet??

i guess i just don't see how you will gain any air flow without it. I know on my duramax i modified the stock box to catch more air from below the bumper.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I like it! Why not just run it without the inlet though?

I was just messing around with it. For the intake temps this version seemed to be the best of both worlds. A much larger intake while keeping the engine heat out.

You will see an increase in temps while at a stop. Driving down the road (with a ZOODAD) it's all ambient temps going into the turbo.

alwil

Reaction score

No not totally wrong, once you are moving the air in the engine bay is no longer hot though so the only time you will see higher IAT temps is at an idle while sitting still.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
My S&B has the snorkel just like the stocker, but also has a large opening next to the battery box. Use the snorkel and cut some holes in it inside the engine compartment.

Nic

Reaction score
at an idle, without the inlet, air temps will increase because all the air being drawn is right from the engine bay...headed down the road without the inlet, with a zoodad im sure the egts would probably be SLIGHTLY lower..im not sure about much but i believe it would draw air a little easier in general. So basically in theory, and reality, theres a slight up side and a slight downside.

U235a4

Reaction score
I did a test one time between my buddy’s truck with an aftermarket under hood filter with zoodad mod and mine with a stock filter setup and no zoodad mod. After 5 miles on the interstate @65 mine was real close to ambient temp and his was about 25-30 hotter.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.