stock clutches vs Red Eagle Alto

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
I got my 4R100 torn down and I ordered a Suncoast rebuild kit with Red Eagle Alto clutches. I've heard different opinions on adding clutches. I've been told that more clutches is needed when adding hp and tq. But I've also been told that stock clutches are better then the after market because they are thicker and that shops like BTS and John Wood's uses stock clutches. I just find it hard to believe that stock clutches with increased line pressure is enough to hold 500 - 600 rwhp because if that was true a shift kit and converter with billet shafts would be the only thing a 4R100 would need to hold big power. I just want to get my transmission done right the first time without having to rebuild it again in the future. I'd like to hear from people that have had there transmission built with either clutches. Thanks!!

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
I got my 4R100 torn down and I ordered a Suncoast rebuild kit with Red Eagle Alto clutches. I've heard different opinions on adding clutches. I've been told that more clutches is needed when adding hp and tq. But I've also been told that stock clutches are better then the after market because they are thicker and that shops like BTS and John Wood's uses stock clutches. I just find it hard to believe that stock clutches with increased line pressure is enough to hold 500 - 600 rwhp because if that was true a shift kit and converter with billet shafts would be the only thing a 4R100 would need to hold big power. I just want to get my transmission done right the first time without having to rebuild it again in the future. I'd like to hear from people that have had there transmission built with either clutches. Thanks!!

I am no transmission expert but I am pretty sure more clutches the better the truck will handle the power.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
ive been putting Raybestos stg 1 clutches in every trans ive built.

i love them.

red eagle from my research,are more a track clutch. they bite hard,but glaze very fast.

not a very good foregiving street choice.

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
If I have a shift kit installed and my line pressure increased with a tuner will my red eagle alto clutches last longer?

Shaw

Reaction score
After pulling transmissions I've rebuilt using the red eagle friction plates I've found the teeth seem to be worn excessively. Enough that anytime I rebuild from now on I will be using Oem.

You can add more frictions by using thinner steels and pressure plates.

Bgdiesel

Reaction score
Ya I agree with powerstrokenstang but clutch material is clutch material... The big gain is in increased clutch count... I have 4 in intermediate 6 in forward 7 in direct and I kno bts only runs 5 in forward... But my weak links have been input shaft and forward drums

Latest posts

Members online