Streetmax X and 2015 HPFP

Reaction score
So I finally got the streetmax x and a 2015 pump installed and took it for a ride. This video is what it was doing. It seemed to not be spooling and when I stopped the rpms dropped and fluctuated like it was going to cut off. It started doing that even worse after the video towards the house. The turbo also didn't spool like I would think it should. Any ideas as to what could cause this? I really need this straightened out by Monday.
https://youtu.be/dnZDIxdS_TM

Reaction score
Anyone else have this setup and shouldn't it be very similar to the Streetmax R setup? Any help would is appreciated. These are Midwest's tunes and I tried contacting Austin but it's Saturday and I got no reply yet.

Reaction score
I re-tuned the truck by redoing the load first tune then the tow tune and it runs better. RPMs don't fluctuate when I stop like it's cutting off but the spooling is still lacking right now. It makes a weird noise before spooling up like it's hissing. I also noticed some soot on the passenger side of the turbo so I removed the intake piping and the turbos heat shield which was coated on the inside of it and checked all the clamps on the up pipes and down pipe and they all seemed tight. Looks like the soot was coming from the passenger side of the turbo but I'm not sure how that is possible. I loosened the clamps then spun them a little making sure the pipes were fitted correctly which they seemed fine then tightened the clamps and cleaned all the soot. Took it for a ride about 10 minutes and didn't notice any more soot but it was still making the hissing noise before spooling. It makes the sound more at low speeds then when it starts to spool up and I don't hear it at all. Could it be something with the veins?

Reaction score
I drove it all day in the tow tune and this afternoon it started to cut off when I'd come to a stop. This is a video of it in the driveway when I got home. Has anyone experienced this? It did throw a p2073 code once when it cut off the first time this afternoon but never did again. My map sensors plugged in and should be fine so I'm not so sure that's it and it's in a 4" intake tube and worked fine with my non vgt s363.
https://youtu.be/5qhL6JY6Fyw

Last edited:
Reaction score
I talked with Morgan and he says it's not the tuning. The truck did throw code p228f which is the fuel pressure control valve on the left rear fuel rail. After searching online I found 2 other posts where the guys had the same exact same issues with the truck stalling and replaced the sensor and it fixed the issue. One actually just did a turbo swap ad dual fuelers and this issue came up. So tomorrow I'll call around and try to find one. If not I'll have one overnighted. I saw several online for around $100. Ford dealerships want about $200. The hissing I'm fairly certain is the bottom clamp on the up pipe. It's a total pain to get to so I'll try to get to it Friday. I thought I had it on right when I installed the turbo but I guess not. Anyone doing a turbo swap make sure you get that bottom one right the first time.

Buck1

Reaction score
My truck would do that after I first loaded a tune. After a couple times it would come out of it. Since then, it did it on a trip to WV pulling the covered wagon. Switched to a different brand tune and problem seemed to have went a way. Not real sure what is going on, but found a work around.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Okay so I finally got everything straightened out. I replaced the fuel pressure control valve on the back of the drivers side rail and it stopped cutting off. I also took off the intake, top up pipe, down pipe and got to the clamp on the lower up pipe and it was clamped a little crooked so it was leaking. Redid it and bolted everything back up and no more hiss. Trucks running great. I've only had a chance to run the tow tune and the shifts seem nice a crisp and the spooling is great. I'll get some videos of it soon. Many thanks to Austin and Morgan answering my questions.

Reaction score
My truck would do that after I first loaded a tune. After a couple times it would come out of it. Since then, it did it on a trip to WV pulling the covered wagon. Switched to a different brand tune and problem seemed to have went a way. Not real sure what is going on, but found a work around.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Who'd you get your tunes from originally and who's tuning fixed the issue? Because this morning I stuck it in Street tune and it started doing this which is very similar to what it was doing before except it hasnt cut off yet its just got a stumbling idle when I stop. It was working fine in tow tune so I'm changing it back to see if that fixes the issue. Did you notify your original tuner that it was doing this and what did they say?
https://youtu.be/RUfquCZ1xc8

Reaction score
So the tow tune works but in the race tune it won't even idle right. It just stumbles the whole time and you can actually hear a fuel knock or something so I immediately put it back into the tow tune and it's running fine.

Reaction score
Today or gradually started doing the stumbling idle like it was in the tow tune and this afternoon it finally threw the same code p228f. That fuel regulator/sensor is new so that can't be it. Anyone have this issue after installing a new turbo or fuel pump and have a solution?

Reaction score
I came across this on another forum.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7-performance-parts-discussion-2011-2016/254023-issues-begin.html
Exact same issue I'm having except these guys have an H&S tuner and I have a SCT. The recommended fix is to run the factory air box which I'll gice it a try tomorrow but I'm not sure if it will be able to supply enough air for my Streetmax X turbo. Is there no one on hear that's had this issue. At this point it has to be a tuning issue and I doubt I can be the only one to have this problem. I've emailed Austin and Morgan to see if they can change some of the Mass air flow readings to fix it since I do have some nice intercooler piping I'd rather be using then the factory air box but at this point I just want to have it stop cutting off. I currently have a 4" intake pipe and didn't have any issues with my other custom tunes. I've now installed a fuel regulator which probably wasn't needed and ordered a new MAF sensor which probably isn't needed. Where is everyone getting tunes from with the their Streetmax R's and how is the tuning?

Reaction score
I went ahead and tuned it back to my non vgt race tune and the truck idles fine. I drove it and no stumbling or cutting off when I stopped and it drove fine. A bit smokey but not bad considering I changed turbos and fuel pumps. It even spooled pretty good. What would I need to have changed in the tuning to correct the original problem? Since it only happens in those tunes then it must be something in the tuning. I would put it in my original ****** tunes for my 2011 turbo but I accidentally erased my load first tune that I got from Rudy's about 3 years ago. Can I use a load first tune from my non vgt tunes then use those factory 2011 turbo tunes or not?

Reaction score
I have and Austin and him say it's not the tunes. I made videos of Forscan with the non vgt tunes that idled fine and another that shows the erratic idling. I wasn't sure what to monitor so I monitored what I thought may help and hopefully they can see these and realize they need to adjust them and have the info needed. Or be able to tell me what to monitor.
With the working non vgt old race tune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU7kyFDZwPY&feature=em-upload_owner
With Midwest's street tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU5LCvyA06o&feature=em-upload_owner

gilgamesh

Reaction score
I went ahead and tuned it back to my non vgt race tune and the truck idles fine. I drove it and no stumbling or cutting off when I stopped and it drove fine. A bit smokey but not bad considering I changed turbos and fuel pumps. It even spooled pretty good. What would I need to have changed in the tuning to correct the original problem? Since it only happens in those tunes then it must be something in the tuning. I would put it in my original ****** tunes for my 2011 turbo but I accidentally erased my load first tune that I got from Rudy's about 3 years ago. Can I use a load first tune from my non vgt tunes then use those factory 2011 turbo tunes or not?

Those VGTs are controlled by vacuum, right? Could you have a vacuum leak? When I switched to non-vgt my VGT line wasn't capped well and made a heck of a hissing noise when whatever was capping it came loose or missing.

Latest posts

Members online