Stroked 7.3

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Not sure on that, all depends on the injector. Internal mods will make or break an injector. Assuming the injectors were done correctly with all the latest and greatest mods done to them I would say they are done making peak power after the 35-3800 range. I know thats where my truck would fall on its face and you could really tell. After I went to 450/400's it would pull hard almost to 4500.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Very true. Injector mods would come into play.

However it would nice for some guys to chime in on this. With my PCS I now have control over shift points and wouldn't mind some insight on this.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Very true. Injector mods would come into play.

However it would nice for some guys to chime in on this. With my PCS I now have control over shift points and wouldn't mind some insight on this.

?

You only have so many crankshaft degrees rotation to inject fuel to effectively make power - as RPMs increase the that number of crankshaft degrees of rotation occurs in a smaller and smaller time window. The limiting factor of how much power can be made is how much fuel can be injected in that time window. Granted there are other things that can help make power at higher levels - but the bottom line is its a fuel injection rate problem.

PDT1081

Reaction score
?

You only have so many crankshaft degrees rotation to inject fuel to effectively make power - as RPMs increase the that number of crankshaft degrees of rotation occurs in a smaller and smaller time window. The limiting factor of how much power can be made is how much fuel can be injected in that time window. Granted there are other things that can help make power at higher levels - but the bottom line is its a fuel injection rate problem.

Would a longer stroke or longer rod change that window?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Would a longer stroke or longer rod change that window?

It takes the same time in MS for the piston to go from TDC to TDC no matter what the stroke is at any given RPM.

There are reasons that someone would want to lengthen the stroke - more RPMs is definitely not one of them.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
If anything wouldn't it be the opposite? The piston accelerates and decelerates more rapidly with a longer stroke (piston travels quicker= more wear) and a shorter stroke would make the piston travel slower. however the long stroke is what produces the large torque number. For rpm you'd want a larger piston diameter than stroke (oversquare), in which 'square' is the piston bore is the same measurement as crankshaft stroke.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Not sure on that, all depends on the injector. Internal mods will make or break an injector. Assuming the injectors were done correctly with all the latest and greatest mods done to them I would say they are done making peak power after the 35-3800 range. I know thats where my truck would fall on its face and you could really tell. After I went to 450/400's it would pull hard almost to 4500.

This is for HRT also, was that done on a stock cam?

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
This is for HRT also, was that done on a stock cam?

I ran the same 400/200's and the same twin set with a stock cam engine and one with a custom ground one. There was really no difference in where it fell off in power. Dont ask me the specs because I honestly dont know, it was in the engine when I bought it.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I ran the same 400/200's and the same twin set with a stock cam engine and one with a custom ground one. There was really no difference in where it fell off in power. Dont ask me the specs because I honestly dont know, it was in the engine when I bought it.

I wish it was easier to swap cams.

Latest posts

Members online