stupid question about gears

Tonka350

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Finally biting the bullet and doing gears when my trans gets redone, going to 4.56's, would you guys recommend the master install kit or is having a basic install alright? 190k miles have zero leaks in the axles but just want to make sure that I order what's needed but don't WA t to spend a ton extra if it's not needed.

Thanks guys

Chad

Tonka350

Reaction score
The master has Every single bearing and bushing, the basic just has the minor ones....I'm not completely positive but what I've seen is about 80.00 difference.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
With that many miles do the master kit. It would suck to spend the money on the gears then have a seal of bearing go bad just after.

TD-5

Reaction score
Unless you have access to all the stuff needed for a gear swap, go with the Master overhaul kit, you will want to change all the bearings & races when your in there, and you can make a set up bearing for your Sterling 10.5 from your old inner pinion bearing & set up bearings from both the old Dana carrier bearings. The old race from the Dana 60 inner pinion can be used for set up too. Plus the master kits give you enough different shims to get the correct set up.
The Yukon kits also comes with 2 crush sleeves, a new pinion nut, lock tite for crown gear bolts, & yellow paint marker for pattern checks.

Tonka350

Reaction score
Oh ok, now that makes sense. I'm going with motive gears, haven't read any negative reviews and about 1/2 the cost...everyone has had great luck with them.

Chad

Layson

Reaction score
Chad, you doing the work yourself or do you have a shop doing it?

Going to put a LS or a locker in it?

Tonka350

Reaction score
Hey Steve, I'm having the work done by a shop down here, just doing ring and pinion, no real need for a locker or anything as it's a P.P. lol

Layson

Reaction score
It would be cool if you could get a LS in the rear at least. That way no more 1 wheel peal....LOL... I understand if you can't. Just one of those things if you end up in some burnout competition at a car show some day...LOL

Tonka350

Reaction score
Haha not with how my luck has been the last few years buddy ;-) only reason I'm doing gears is because I want to prolong it.....no longer in the military so no more deployment funded truck parts....gotta be family minded with the new baby too...truck got put last now lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.