Supercharged 7.3

Jethro

Reaction score
Has anyone put pressure gauges before and after the blower on a turbo feeding supercharger setup?

Charles

Reaction score
Oh an another benefit I am seeing is improved engine braking a huge plus to me. I will remind you this is a daily driven stick truck not a puller or race truck. It's spends 90 percent of its time in the 1000-2000 range.

I guarantee you that my 550 with a 38R makes more power everywhere, drives better, and with the same R&P ratio would get better mileage to boot.

It routinely sits on cruise control at 50mph in OD at 20,000 to 30,000lbs. And I have Pw, ICP and Timing pulled out down low to purposefully decrease power specifically in the range you mention above. Hell, I've also got the biggest housing made for the 38R on it.

Power down low is not an actual problem for a 7.3. For God's sake, it's 444 cubic inches. The only problem with power down low is too much of it! Start walking main caps, bending rods and cracking blocks.

As an aside... if I told you I was going to remove my turbo and replace it with one of those tornado, vornado, vortex spinny, air twisting things in the summit catalog instead, could I then fault you for never having tried it yourself when you plainly told me that it would not work out? I mean, do you reallllly need trial and error for everything in life? I thought that's what we went to school for?

Fwiw, I don't plan to pile any dog$hit on my plate, slice it with a steak knife and fork some into my mouth just to verify whether or not it tastes better than a sirloin either...

Yet how much you wanna bet I already know the answer without ever having actually tried it!

All you read is.... blah, blah, blah, blah, never tried it.... and that makes you think he just doesn't know. But here's the kicker.... you're not among small company with this project because you're attempting to force a blower onto a turbodiesel and it's revolutionary or something.... you're among small company in this endeavor because it's equivalent to trying dog$hit in lieu of a steak. You find yourself in rare company because everybody else easily figured that one out before getting dog$hit stuck all between their teeth as you have now.

Instead of grabbing a toothbrush and heading toward the nearest deli, you instead vow to head back out into the yard because the problem was merely that the turd you started with was too small. If you only had a big logger dog$hit turd to taste instead.... yeah.... that would make it work.....

LOL

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Even banks is putting blowers on diesels. Right now there 7.1L duramax is running a 4.0 Whipple , spray and water injection. No turbos. He also builds twin charged duramax marine engines. I have been trying to find the specfics but the pictures (just a guess) look as if the blower feeds the turbo with a bypass system. I'll try to find more on this. Superchargers are definitely not for everyone but if one goes that route there is performance to be had. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upSeQfRgkx0&app=desktop

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
I guarantee you that my 550 with a 38R makes more power everywhere, drives better, and with the same R&P ratio would get better mileage to boot.

It routinely sits on cruise control at 50mph in OD at 20,000 to 30,000lbs. And I have Pw, ICP and Timing pulled out down low to purposefully decrease power specifically in the range you mention above. Hell, I've also got the biggest housing made for the 38R on it.

Power down low is not an actual problem for a 7.3. For God's sake, it's 444 cubic inches. The only problem with power down low is too much of it! Start walking main caps, bending rods and cracking blocks.

As an aside... if I told you I was going to remove my turbo and replace it with one of those tornado, vornado, vortex spinny, air twisting things in the summit catalog instead, could I then fault you for never having tried it yourself when you plainly told me that it would not work out? I mean, do you reallllly need trial and error for everything in life? I thought that's what we went to school for?

Fwiw, I don't plan to pile any dog$hit on my plate, slice it with a steak knife and fork some into my mouth just to verify whether or not it tastes better than a sirloin either...

Yet how much you wanna bet I already know the answer without ever having actually tried it!

All you read is.... blah, blah, blah, blah, never tried it.... and that makes you think he just doesn't know. But here's the kicker.... you're not among small company with this project because you're attempting to force a blower onto a turbodiesel and it's revolutionary or something.... you're among small company in this endeavor because it's equivalent to trying dog$hit in lieu of a steak. You find yourself in rare company because everybody else easily figured that one out before getting dog$hit stuck all between their teeth as you have now.

Instead of grabbing a toothbrush and heading toward the nearest deli, you instead vow to head back out into the yard because the problem was merely that the turd you started with was too small. If you only had a big logger dog$hit turd to taste instead.... yeah.... that would make it work.....

LOL
Nice to have you back, sir.

Rodslinger

Reaction score
yby4ehy4.jpg
saqe6ama.jpg

There you go. Blower on blower Detroit action. I'll get some of the turbo on blower tomorrow.
Btw. The turbo fed blower one make almost 30% more.

Charles

Reaction score
Forgot to address your added engine braking.

That is the exact quantity of power you're pissing away the whole time you're simply trying to move down the road at constant speed. The lower the load on the engine, the more power and diesel you're pissing away into the serpentine belt for the purpose of making a lot of racket under the hood when you're just trying to head home with the groceries.

When the turbo and the diesel were married angels sang, light shone down from the heavens and it was good. The forced induction system follows the engine load perfectly. As you need more, you get more, as you need less, you get less, beautiful.

What you've done is design the perfectly backward system. When you need absolutely no power adder, you've got a blower up there jumping up and down barking and shoving like an idiot, while robbing power and making noise to no end. Spectacularly though, when you actually stick your foot in it and actually want some power, the blower not only loses potency, but reverses and starts reducing power by surging the turbo, lol.

If a man set out to make the worst forced induction setup possible, I don't know how it could be done any better. Loud, power loss, efficiency loss, mass flow decrease, and it goes nuts when you want nothing out of it, yet does nothing when you need it.

You don't own a Pit Bull by chance do you?

superpsd

Reaction score
I do own a pit bull. Actually half Pit half Black Labrador. Also I never once said a blower was the most effecient way to produce power. There is a parasitic loss that can show up as a loss of fuel economy. I get an average of 17-19 around town and low 20s highway. I will be watching fuel economy to see what the blower does to it. The parasitic loss with a whipple will be far less

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Found a picture of the bank duramax marine engines. Note how the filter is at the blower inlet.
1103dp_04_o%2B1103dp_duramax_diesel_day%2Bgale_banks_marine_engine.jpg

1003dp_02%2B6_6l_duramax_diesel_engine%2Bright_front_angle.jpg

Last edited:

2000wa250

Reaction score
Wait...a daily driven stick....check.

Daily driven stick that is daily driven in the same.tune that makes 557...check

Daily driven stick with a single turbo, response when I want it, as smoke free as I want it, and still gets 18mpg on the freeway on 37's with stock gearing and a 4" lift? Check.

So where is my blower that is necessary? Oh yeah...its not. .91 housing on a 468 with exhaust leaks and boost leaks everywhere...the beauty of a stick is you can choose where in the rpms you want to run and by that the amount of spool up you need..

Oh yeah, did you miss the point in physics where you learn that pressure isn't necessarily a measure of.volume, but instead is a measure of.restriction? 87lbs of boost on a Cummins means jack.**** to me...now if it builds 87lbs while flowing 1400ish cfm? Then you have my attention...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea I bet that will fit under the hood!

Gale banks spent 100 grand on that dmax and could have made 800 with compounds and a fuel pump...

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Yea I bet that will fit under the hood!

Gale banks spent 100 grand on that dmax and could have made 800 with compounds and a fuel pump...

And that is why I need rods..... I want to turn my beast up.... I mean its already stupid responsive for a big truck on 37s..... but I'd like 4 digits of power to the ground by using a bit more fuel than the 630rwhp making 1.6ms.... lol

TyCorr

Reaction score
And that is why I need rods..... I want to turn my beast up.... I mean its already stupid responsive for a big truck on 37s..... but I'd like 4 digits of power to the ground by using a bit more fuel than the 630rwhp making 1.6ms.... lol

Not to take us to total dork town but my 2014 feels like it actually makes 400hp and its pretty decent for a stock truck...