Supercharged 7.3

superpsd

Reaction score
They are not the rarest Detroit but it's up there. Only a hair over 7000 were built. It's essentially two 453s in a V formation. Majority of the 8V53s were twin marine engines. The automotive bellhousings and front covers are extremely rare. Only a few 8v53s were put into over the road vehicles in special retrofit applications. Some found their way into heavy logging/dirt equiptment. Limited amount of 8v53T were turbocharged these 350hp units were a military only application. They are 424ci and weight about 1 ton. I would live to put it in something someday but we shall see.

superpsd

Reaction score
No more turbo pulling vaccum on hard pulls. Drivability has greatly improved. Ready for more fuel. Highly considering Full Force hybrids as my stock hpop is still going strong.
IMAG06651_zps0a87cf17.jpg

idshred

Reaction score
00d0d_2yfdKBIxNa6_600x450_resized.jpg

Do you know much about 6 110s? The truck above has a 6 110 in it that was originally in a road grader. They also turbo charged it. It belongs to a friend of my dad. 53 Mack Lt. He also has a 50 Lt that is cummins powered. They are both mint.

superpsd

Reaction score
The 3" check valve is before the turbo.

I have not been around a 6110. From what I do know is they have a centrifugal blower for scavenging unlike the roots style used on most detroit's. It's also said that they have to operate in a limited rpm range and to not over rev them as they would over spin the charger and waste the blower. After 1952 the roots blower became an option. I have seen that LT for sale for a bit now.

Last edited:

corsoauto

Reaction score
Hey I had talked to you over on PSN....did you ever get this finsihed up? intake all fabed up? hows it feel?

superpsd

Reaction score
Yes I have been driving it everyday for a few months now. I recently upgraded the blower and installed a check valve so the turbo can pull air from atmosphere when demand for air is higher than the blower can push. Runs great. I will be taking off on a hunting trip tomorrow that will put a couple of hundred miles down.

superpsd

Reaction score
Almost headed off the beaten path. Engine ran strong. Once the turbo spools up hard going over the pass you don't even hear the blower anymore just the turbo song. I was having an issue with my ccv these last few days. I was loosing oil and it was coating the inside of the blower and flooding the intercooler. I just vented it to ground and after a hard 100+ miles and the oil level is the same. Before I lost like 1 qt in 50 miles. I may purchase a strainer and put a forward facing tube into the inlet to reduce massive suction.

corsoauto

Reaction score
what blower did you upgrade to? original one was the m122 right?

I could see the ccv being a issue with all that suction. I hate those damn ccv's. Its suppose to be a replaceable filter.....but no one sells them.

superpsd

Reaction score
Blower is a VMP gen 2 TVS which is essentially an Eaton 2.3l TVS with an aftermarket case and snout modification to accept bolt on pulleys. Here is a quick example of the difference between the TVS style rotors and M122 style rotors. Blower stays cool to the touch even after a couple of hours hauling down the freeway. Which is as it should be as once the turbo spools it unloads the blower is in a bypass state.

Last edited:

corsoauto

Reaction score
ok so you went a little bigger....Original supercharger was a m122 correct? I think i had researched the tvs. Been awhile since I dug into this have alot of other stuff going on before I get into this. But correct me if I am wrong but the tvs superchargers have a bypass valve built into them correct? making them able to boost higher amounts at cruising speeds but with less effort?

superpsd

Reaction score
The bypass valve is not used. All superchargers for a gas engine have a bypass. Uses a vacuum actuator to open the valve. A diesel has no manifold vaccum to open the valve. The valve is currently blocked off. The mounting plate is built is not milled for the valve. This is why I see 1.5 psi @ idle and up to 5 psi pre turbo most of the time. The bypass I installed has two free floating flappers that acts as a one way valve. Boost pre turbo holds the flappers closed and once the turbo vacuum pulls hard it pulls the flaps open. Here is an example of a 5th gen vs a TVS. The effeciency maps are greatly improved on a TVS.
725.11.jpg

Here is the difference between the discharge side the M122 on the left with the silencer slots and TVS on the right.
-s-mmfp_0810_15_z-tvs_blower-vs_stock_blower_rotor.jpg

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Also one more pictures to show you the standard TVS inlet vs the VMP 2nd generation TVS inlet.
8-VMP-Gen2-Intro.jpg

superpsd

Reaction score
I am looking for BD and BI code injectors. If anyone has any laying around and would like to sell shoot me a PM. I have 6 good used BI codes need two more. I only have one new in a box BD. Was going to try BIs first as finding a couple BIs seems easier on a good deal. Going to need more fuel and oil...

Future list for my project includes...
Turbo SXX? Big oil, twin SD pumps, studs.

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
hybrids don't need additional oil, and will sufficiently send your supercharger into low-earth orbit.

I ran 400/400 hybrids effortlessly with compound turbos on a bone stock 15 degree OBS hpop. Super snappy, probably ~500rwhp and basically no smoke.

That bigger intensifier piston does you no good. The poppet is the same junk size.

5:1 moves more fuel per time for a given ICP with a competitive nozzle size, so that means the pressure drop across the poppet is killing higher ratio injectors.

Hybrids, and cross everything else off the list. Much cheaper, and easier. Plus better, lol.

superpsd

Reaction score
I am aware that in that respect hybrids are better. I do know these B codes are oil thirsty but from all the reading I have done many have ran BD and BI codes with success. I wanted to try the B route. I am trying to find good prices. I paid 220 shipped no core for a still sealed BD and 240 sumthing shipped for 6 said to be good BI injectors and I get to keep my A codes that can be sent in latter if I want to try hybrids. Also I understand what has been said about the 5:1 hybrid actually having a lower pressure drop on the poppet. However I thought the general talk had been the 7:1 makes a great low end injector, 6:1 B codes make great mid range and hybrid out pulls the B up top. I drive my truck everyday it is strickly a street truck so the mid range power would be great.

And yes the hybrid is likely cheaper as a big hpop system is expensive. It will all happen soonish. I am looking to purchase a nice chunck of hunting property so play funds are going to be on pause for a couple of months but I am working 7 days a week and probably will be most of this year. Too bad I can't find the rest of BD codes at 220 a stick that would be only 1760 for a set.

Last edited:

Gearhead

Reaction score
I am aware that in that respect hybrids are better. I do know these B codes are oil thirsty but from all the reading I have done many have ran BD and BI codes with success. I wanted to try the B route. I am trying to find good prices. I paid 220 shipped no core for a still sealed BD and 240 sumthing shipped for 6 said to be good BI injectors and I get to keep my A codes that can be sent in latter if I want to try hybrids. Also I understand what has been said about the 5:1 hybrid actually having a lower pressure drop on the poppet. However I thought the general talk had been the 7:1 makes a great low end injector, 6:1 B codes make great mid range and hybrid out pulls the B up top. I drive my truck everyday it is strickly a street truck so the mid range power would be great.

And yes the hybrid is likely cheaper as a big hpop system is expensive. It will all happen soonish. I am looking to purchase a nice chunck of hunting property so play funds are going to be on pause for a couple of months but I am working 7 days a week and probably will be most of this year. Too bad I can't find the rest of BD codes at 220 a stick that would be only 1760 for a set.

Did you not understand what Charles was telling you?

Once you get to a 200% or larger nozzle the hybrid can deliver more fuel per time than a B code. This means that your injection pressure is actually higher at wot. You say "low end" with a b code or a code is better but you have oil flow availability that increases with RPM because you are turning the oil pump faster. This means that you can't develop full injection pressure down low rpm-wise. The only advantage is more injection pressure available at very low puslewidths (light cruise). Honestly once you go with an 80% or larger it appears that a hybrid actually gets better mileage in my experience for some reason as well.

If you have as much airflow as you will down low with your setup, you don't even need good injector atomization anyway.... you could probably have droplets the size of tears and it would burn clean....lol

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
I completely understand what he stated. I have dug up numerous threads about; injectors, heui, hpops, and so on. It took some time as I had to read thru pages of squabbling. Seems some around here even prefer the B code. I would love to experience both even if it costs me more in the end. I don't want to go to a huge hybrid and say "this is the best cake ever" without having experience with the other cake. Call it hands on experience that I want to gain. Hybrids seem to respond nicely with big oil as well so I can't really go wrong with a larger hpop. Bigger pump from what I have read and correct me if I am wrong allows of course more volume at any rpm which can allow for higher pressure @ higher PW at low Rpm at a lower duty cycle. I am also going to put the BDs in as is with the 5 hole nozzles.

Last edited: