swamps 175/146 or 160/30 injectors (what to go with)

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
well, my temp gauge will go up to about the "M" in normal, then the fan kicks on, it will
hold there for a bit, and then keep going on up...when it gets to the "A" in NORMAL, I quit....and by then, it's running close to 1250 degrees....and that's enough for me.

this is on a LONG grade,... 12-13 miles...this isn't just pulling a hill, this is pulling a Mountain, on a 80 degree or hotter day....and this is Loaded too, 21,000 lbs .... when it gets
to 95 degrees ambient temps....fugedaboudit.... I park.....

Last edited:

907DAVE

Reaction score
We have a few pulls like that around here and I have yet to have any cooling issues when pulling heavy.

Any debris in or before your radiator?

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
and no, my rad is very clean, I keep it thataway.....I've been old this same thing by other guys with SD's....maybe the radiator is a better cooler ? I don't know....I run outta cooling way before I run outta power.....

what leads me to believe it's the radiator, is that on a cool day, say down around 40-50 degrees, it doesn't heat at all, just flys over the hills.....

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
I've got a SD 6.0 fan coming, we'll see what that does....if it helps, then I will be pretty sure it's the radiator, and
at that point, I'll shove a Mishimoto in it, and get rid of this Plastic Fantastic POS.

and thanks for your ideas Dave, I do 'preciate it....

cjfarm11

Reaction score
I would pull the radiator and have it boiled and them try it. Im thinking you have a restiction of flow somewhere.

Charles

Reaction score
Our OBS used to run hot as hell towing. The cooling system just sucks in comparison to a SD.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
well, I've been thinking about this whole heat problem, and I think that it's got to be the OBS cooling system somehow, but there isn't much difference, except the radiator, right ?

do the SD's have that much bigger of a radiator ?...

anyhow, I'm going to attack the problem on two fronts :

change the fan to one for a 6.0

if it helps, change the radiator to the Mishimoto all Aluminum one.

put 100% nozzles on it....

which leads me to a question Charles.....would I need to change the tuning ? or would just changing nozzles cool it off some ?

Charles

Reaction score
well, I've been thinking about this whole heat problem, and I think that it's got to be the OBS cooling system somehow, but there isn't much difference, except the radiator, right ?

do the SD's have that much bigger of a radiator ?...

anyhow, I'm going to attack the problem on two fronts :

change the fan to one for a 6.0

if it helps, change the radiator to the Mishimoto all Aluminum one.

put 100% nozzles on it....

which leads me to a question Charles.....would I need to change the tuning ? or would just changing nozzles cool it off some ?

If you do nothing but increase the orifice in the nozzle the truck will run hotter and smoky if the program was dialed before.

If so, then you would want to remove pulsewidth so that you injected roughly the same quantity of fuel, but did so quicker. The truck would then be able to produce the same power with less EGT and smoke.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
Thanks Charles, that's exactly the answer I was looking for....

change the nozzles, THEN dial it for those nozzles, and the heat should come down on a sustained pull at the same load....

should work....

Latest posts

Members online