Swamps 58V FICM

PABowhunter

Reaction score
My dad put a Swamps 58V FICM on his 04 6.0 about 4 years ago. Well about two months ago his truck was having some turbo issues and while it was at the local diesel mechanic they said the FICM was reading low, 41 V. Instead of dealing with it himself he gave them the go ahead to rebuild it (they work on nothing but diesels and are pretty reputable).

Fast forward to last week, I was running my AE on the truck checking out the coolant and oil deltas when I noticed the FICM voltage was only reading 41 V. Called up the shop and took the truck back to them. They took out the FICM went over everything, put it back in and still 41 V. Now they say they have to dig into it more.

Is this FICM totally shot? Did they rebuild it wrong? Is there another problem? Would it be best to send back to Swamps?

I'm thinking they better swap in a known good FICM and eliminate that right off the bat.

equalizier

Reaction score
My dad put a Swamps 58V FICM on his 04 6.0 about 4 years ago. Well about two months ago his truck was having some turbo issues and while it was at the local diesel mechanic they said the FICM was reading low, 41 V. Instead of dealing with it himself he gave them the go ahead to rebuild it (they work on nothing but diesels and are pretty reputable).

Fast forward to last week, I was running my AE on the truck checking out the coolant and oil deltas when I noticed the FICM voltage was only reading 41 V. Called up the shop and took the truck back to them. They took out the FICM went over everything, put it back in and still 41 V. Now they say they have to dig into it more.

Is this FICM totally shot? Did they rebuild it wrong? Is there another problem? Would it be best to send back to Swamps?

I'm thinking they better swap in a known good FICM and eliminate that right off the bat.

If you had a friend that you could borrow one from you could do the test your self and if that fixed it you saved yourself and saved some money.Do you know the extent the shop went into to fined the ficm problem.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I don't know how much the shop did to "rebuild" it. I do know it was expensive. It just worries me when they said they had to dig into it some more and started talking about wiring.

Is there anything else that would make the ficm read low?

equalizier

Reaction score
wiring issues usually cause the truck not to start or miss not make voltage go down I should say anything is possible.It sounds like they charged you for a ficm and didn't do squat.I would call and see what did they do to your ficm.If they rebuilt it or did they put a new board in it and if they did put a new board in it ask which side.The power board or the main control board.

I will say most of the time it is the power board were the voltage coming in is converted to 48 volts.Here is a link that will help you under stand the ficm "fuel injector control module" hope this helps you.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manuals/FICM.pdf

Before you jump the gun on the shop just ask what they did.Then come back here and let us know and how much they charged.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I wonder if they just replaced the power board not realizing it had been modified to be 58V.... you probably received a Dorman power board from Napa or something. They run like $125 or something. Sounds like that wasn't the fix of the issue though. I doubt Swamps is going to want to touch it after someone else has been inside of it, and they're going to know it's not their power supply in there if that is the case.

You can get brand new half shells with the power board for 4 pin FICM's from International pretty cheap. I paid around $145 for the last one I got, and had it hand delivered to my desk from the local International shop. I stopped repairing them because it wasn't worth the time/money for how cheap these were.

I assume battery voltage is good? How about the alternator, is it charging properly?

Latest posts

Members online