swamps hvhf idm..

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
^Yes please do!! I'd love to know track differences w/ the swamps IDM!!

onebad7.3

Reaction score
So lets say it does give you 30rwhp, how much time is that going to knock off in the 1/4 mile? say on a 7,000 pound truck

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Hard to say w/out seeing track times and a dyno sheet. If it smooths out the curve, which I imagine it would 100% do, then it would help fantastically at the track. It would be like the economy setting of a chip basically (in terms of power..)

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
VERY impressive. What did your dyno sheets look like before/after, if you have one? Do you know your current hp/tq?

Stroker#66

Reaction score
I dynoed befor the idm got 519hp968tq running 15 psi low on boost and fuel pressure was getting below 40. I did have a noticeable different in running smoother and I did notice a power gain

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
My understanding is that the 30 hp gain is on modded to heavily modified trucks.
Stock trucks will notice an improvement in smoothness, but there simply isn't another 30 ponies to be pulled out of stock injectors.
Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

golfer

Reaction score
My understanding is that the 30 hp gain is on modded to heavily modified trucks.
Stock trucks will notice an improvement in smoothness, but there simply isn't another 30 ponies to be pulled out of stock injectors.
Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I wouldn't completely agree with that...

there's peak hp...but there's also areas of the hp curve that can come up with the HVHF IDM...before and after the peak...and we've seen much more than "30" hp...just not at the peak (for the very reason you stated).

at the end of the day...the IDM can (mechanically) force a little more fuel from an injector BEFORE it is 'empty'...by effectively increasing the mechanical duration obtained from a stronger force on the poppet valve/armature.

also, at high rpm on more heavily modified engines, the HVHF IDM can allow for much more consistent signaling to the solenoids...and more reliable/repeatable & consistent injector operation...assuming the injs are built properly, tuned properly, etc..

all this chit has to work together.

injectors, tuning, IDM

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Would you consider decent flowing injectors as "heavily modified" in that statement?

And its all about the curve baby. Screw peak power.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I wouldn't completely agree with that...

there's peak hp...but there's also areas of the hp curve that can come up with the HVHF IDM...before and after the peak...and we've seen much more than "30" hp...just not at the peak (for the very reason you stated).

at the end of the day...the IDM can (mechanically) force a little more fuel from an injector BEFORE it is 'empty'...by effectively increasing the mechanical duration obtained from a stronger force on the poppet valve/armature.

also, at high rpm on more heavily modified engines, the HVHF IDM can allow for much more consistent signaling to the solenoids...and more reliable/repeatable & consistent injector operation...assuming the injs are built properly, tuned properly, etc..

all this chit has to work together.

injectors, tuning, IDM

Golfer, second 'paragraph' where you are talking about the area before/after the peak hp coming up, how do the margins on a stock truck compare to that of a modified truck? I'd be interested to see both the raw numbers and also a percentage, if you don't mind sharing.

My initial post was in response to 85_305 eluding that the HVHF IDM is equivalent to an Eco tune in terms of power. Maybe I miss-understood what he was saying, but a bone stock truck would not see these kind of hp increases, correct? Wouldn't there have to be an input (via chip) for PW and other injection factors to be in range for these kinds of benefits to be noted?

85_305, was that comment directed towards me or....?

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
My inquiry was towards golfer. I love the theory behind the swamps idm and I love the data I've seen, but more is better right?

I'm saying in terms of hp an idm is similar to an econ-tune. I've seen a few swamps idm before/after dynos... Maybe I should dig them up tomorrow so can compare curves and peaks etc

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Alright, I just wasn't sure who that was directed at.
I'd be really curious to see how different setups react to higher voltage and frequencies. Something like bone stock vs. tuned vs. mild build (238/100 or similar) vs. built (400/400 range) with before and after graphs. Don't have any compelling reason to know, but I'm curious.
I'm guessing you will see a decent sized area of the hp graph flatten out (increase before/after peak) on the larger stick. Just curious how that translates down the line when smaller injectors are involved.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
If anything a stronger IDM signal will lessen the timing...

And less timing = a safer truck and the room to push more power

Alright, I just wasn't sure who that was directed at.
I'd be really curious to see how different setups react to higher voltage and frequencies. Something like bone stock vs. tuned vs. mild build (238/100 or similar) vs. built (400/400 range) with before and after graphs. Don't have any compelling reason to know, but I'm curious.
I'm guessing you will see a decent sized area of the hp graph flatten out (increase before/after peak) on the larger stick. Just curious how that translates down the line when smaller injectors are involved.

I really wish there was more data on this IDM so I didn't have to do the hard work and spend the money myself:redspotdance:

Nodge

Reaction score
I have one on my sig truck, and just ordered 3 more for my other 7.3's.
Just buy one.
You will see an improvement.

Latest posts

Members online